Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2016, 08:26 AM   #1
stevie951
Lurker

Dunuhnuhnuh

Paddling back to the Shores in LJ this past Tuesday in a mean fog bank, visibility probably 100 feet out at 11:00am, got just back inside the MLPA and all the sudden about 25 feet off my left hand side a Mean fin is protruding about 1.5 feet above water and coasting graciously...

Scared the be-jesus out of me, you best believe I started paddling a bit faster at that time, a mistake I come to learn from several expert kayak anglers who later told me to just stay still, don't draw attention..

Guess, this Jet-skier in Florida didn't know the golden rule either.. Check out this video just released of a copper shark turning and lunging at a Jet-Skier cruising on by..
https://youtu.be/oOqt2HNY26g

What about you, any experiences and or advice??
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:56 AM   #2
Phishphood

Been tailed by 'something' up in Monterey before...scariest seconds of my life.
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:39 AM   #3
Dannowar

Nothing creepier than whitey in the fog.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:23 AM   #4
monstahfish

Don't know why but whitey in the fog made me think of whitey on the moon https://youtu.be/otwkXZ0SmTs?t=55 If you're a Howard Stern fan you may know where I'm at.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:36 AM   #5
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

I don't think that seeing them on the surface is as scary as seeing them on your fish finder. When I lived in Oregon I was bottom fishing and a HUGE shape appears about 50 feet below the kayak on the screen, based on the scale I'd say it was over 15 feet, thought maybe a small whale, or a big stellar's sea lion, but it stuck around coming in and out of my fish finder screen. No mammals in sight, no one coming up for air. This continued for about 1/2 hour, then it disappeared. Got some nice rockfish and a cabezon and as I paddled back in around the haystack rock there is a dead harbor seal floating with blood pouring out of it. I did not stick around, I paddled back to shore in record time and didn't calm down until I was in shallow water. Never saw the actual shark but there is no doubt in my mind that whatever killed that seal was cruising under my kayak earlier in the day. By no means am I saying that seeing a huge fin right next to you isn't scary, but at least you saw it and could kinda keep tabs on it.

Nothing like good ol Mother Nature to make you realize that we are just privileged visitors in the watery kingdom

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:51 AM   #6
ewhitney60

what part of Oregon was this? I'll make sure I don't hang around that shark bar on the weekends when I head back next month! haha
ewhitney60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:59 AM   #7
YakDout
Brandon

Whitey, the guy who killed his whole family

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:23 PM   #8
Kayak_Bernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewhitney60 View Post
what part of Oregon was this? I'll make sure I don't hang around that shark bar on the weekends when I head back next month! haha
this was in Pacific City, Oregon Honestly its still one of my favorite places to fish. Plus they have a brewery that over looks the launching beach (Pelican Brewery)

Safety Director
Old 04-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #9
taggermike

That's some dicey shit right there. We font get reminders that we're not the top of the food chain often.
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:49 PM   #10
ewhitney60

I love pelican brewery. What an amazing beach to launch from. I am very ready to do some kayak fishing off of the Oregon coast!
Old 04-07-2016, 01:07 PM   #11
Phishphood

Hit up nwka for some local Intel and help
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #12
ewhitney60

Oh yes, Been on there already. Cool cats on that page
Old 04-07-2016, 01:43 PM   #13
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak_Bernie View Post
I don't think that seeing them on the surface is as scary as seeing them on your fish finder. When I lived in Oregon I was bottom fishing and a HUGE shape appears about 50 feet below the kayak on the screen, based on the scale I'd say it was over 15 feet, thought maybe a small whale, or a big stellar's sea lion, but it stuck around coming in and out of my fish finder screen. No mammals in sight, no one coming up for air. This continued for about 1/2 hour, then it disappeared. Got some nice rockfish and a cabezon and as I paddled back in around the haystack rock there is a dead harbor seal floating with blood pouring out of it. I did not stick around, I paddled back to shore in record time and didn't calm down until I was in shallow water. Never saw the actual shark but there is no doubt in my mind that whatever killed that seal was cruising under my kayak earlier in the day. By no means am I saying that seeing a huge fin right next to you isn't scary, but at least you saw it and could kinda keep tabs on it.

Nothing like good ol Mother Nature to make you realize that we are just privileged visitors in the watery kingdom

Ahh, not ok, yeah I marked the dogs on the FF earlier in the day, but nothing bigger,, as to why I nearly pissed myself when I saw the fin off my Bow..

A Buddy of mine who always fishes up north near county line always has his Shark Shield with him, haven't really yet but it's time to look into one of those ;P
Old 04-07-2016, 02:47 PM   #14
spicolly

Respect The Ocean...

951: I learned quite a bit last season (& still learning). From what I have read and been told, the GWS in LJ are not the size of the ones you see leaping out of the water in places like South Africa. I think that’s my greatest fear is having a big submarine launching my yak into the air. I haven’t seen a GWS at La Jolla, but know they’re there from others who have shared their experiences. With all dogs and baby dogs, the GWS have a round the season supply of food.

Last summer was the year of the HH. Similar to your story, my first sighting scared the piss out of me. However, after seeing many HH (off LJ and Oceanside) and learning more about their diet (mainly tuna, bonito, etc.), each sighting got easier on the nerves, though it’s still edgy. HH’s are just curious creatures looking for some food. I would never hang my mackerel-sized feet off the yak with a HH swimming around. I’m sure that’s what happened to the dude up north last year…the HH just mistook his foot for a fish.

Keep your catch on board on you’ll be fine. Just be sure to cover it – I learned the hard way that a dog will take your catch from your bow if it’s not hidden or tied down.
spicolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:02 PM   #15
spicolly

GWS at LJ Last Week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M70fPH2oQgs

Don't call the news station!
spicolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:30 PM   #16
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicolly View Post
951: I learned quite a bit last season (& still learning). From what I have read and been told, the GWS in LJ are not the size of the ones you see leaping out of the water in places like South Africa. I think that’s my greatest fear is having a big submarine launching my yak into the air. I haven’t seen a GWS at La Jolla, but know they’re there from others who have shared their experiences. With all dogs and baby dogs, the GWS have a round the season supply of food.

Last summer was the year of the HH. Similar to your story, my first sighting scared the piss out of me. However, after seeing many HH (off LJ and Oceanside) and learning more about their diet (mainly tuna, bonito, etc.), each sighting got easier on the nerves, though it’s still edgy. HH’s are just curious creatures looking for some food. I would never hang my mackerel-sized feet off the yak with a HH swimming around. I’m sure that’s what happened to the dude up north last year…the HH just mistook his foot for a fish.

Keep your catch on board on you’ll be fine. Just be sure to cover it – I learned the hard way that a dog will take your catch from your bow if it’s not hidden or tied down.

Much respect, always learning. Skunked on the kayak thus far the 10 or so times out, but she will come, and all of this helpful information will come into play, especially with stowing the large catch!
Old 04-07-2016, 03:36 PM   #17
Kayak_Bernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewhitney60 View Post
Oh yes, Been on there already. Cool cats on that page
If you are looking for some more specific intel let me know. I have some good friends up there and I am sure they would give me the low down on what bite is hot. Also don't forget its spring salmon season in the Columbia and Willamette rivers right now!! , No better eating fish than a fresh spring chinook salmon!!! I can give you a few pointers for them as well. PM me if your interested

Safety Director
Old 04-08-2016, 06:24 AM   #18
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicolly View Post
I think that’s my greatest fear is having a big submarine launching my yak into the air.
My assumption is that, in the unlikely event of this happening, mr white would be confused and not hang around to pick up the tasty bits that get thrown in the water. The only thing I really wonder is how fast the boat will sink with some tooth holes in it....
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote