Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2020, 06:26 AM   #1
Gabe213

Waders

Which chest high waders do you guys recommend. Thank you!
Gabe213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:54 AM   #2
BenCantrell

Is there a reason you want waders instead of wetsuit bottoms? I've been happy with 1.5mm wetsuit bottoms and a 0.5mm wetsuit top.
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:29 AM   #3
FullFlavorPike

BRO YOU ARE GOING TO DIE!!!

But really, anything from Simms. Nice waders. I got a set from East County bait and tackle a little while back and they are sweeeeeeet.

Waders beats wetsuit bottoms for staying dry and comfy, especially when it gets shitty. But that's kind of a personal comfort thing, Ben, so if you don't mind paddling in a wetsuit, then don't let anybody stop you. Clearly it's not slowing you down
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:37 AM   #4
Mahigeer

Be sure to get one with zippers.

It will cost more, but if you are at certain age that urine frequently, it will be worth the extra cost.

Simms is too expensive due to its name.

Redington ha some for $250.00 plus tax with zippers.

I am having difficulty getting out of my Hodgman, but a Lyrica under layer helps. I would ware them under my wetsuit for ease of putting on and taking off.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:51 AM   #5
TJones

The least expensive

and replacing them every season, because the moment you throw a toad on your lap your gonna spring some holes. Those tiny holes during a winter session are annoying. I have tried going the opposite route by buying a high end pair of Simms and its a waste of money because they can get a hole just as easy. Caddis were a popular model because you could find them at every local sports store. They are more than sufficient. Caddis Pro model is actually a good one for your winter sessions because it is heavy duty and almost insulated. It would be over kill when things start warming up though. Frogg Toggs is what I would recommend because they are nice and stylish. They perform well also. Amazon has a wide variety to fit your price point. Personally, I went a different route this year and I switched over to Cabellas Premium Zipper. They are in the price range I want to be and they have the zipper on the front which allows the user the ability to urinate without having to remove your jacket. Once you use the zipper style waders, you will never switch back. Not sure what it is, but when im paddling and very active on the water, I feel the sudden urge to urinate every 15 min. Trying to keep well hydrated adds to the issue. As far as the Bass Pro models , I am not experiencing any issues with more than a fair amount of use this season. To sum it up, again I would not recommend spending more than 200$. I see a pair of Frogg Toggs on amazon for 80$. Its gonna perform on the kayak exactly the same as the middle range wader which is about 150 -180$ for both the Caddis and Frogg Toggs. Keep in mind that these waders were really designed for standing in a creek. Kayak users primarily are sitting down on the kayak. Heavy duty gravel guards or knee guards are pretty useless for us. If you are opting to use you bass pro rewards, they have models that are equivalent and more than sufficient too. Hope this helps.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:53 AM   #6
TJones

They Bass Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Be sure to get one with zippers.

It will cost more, but if you are at certain age that urine frequently, it will be worth the extra cost.

Simms is too expensive due to its name.

Redington ha some for $250.00 plus tax with zippers.

I am having difficulty getting out of my Hodgman, but a Lyrica under layer helps. I would ware them under my wetsuit for ease of putting on and taking off.
models I got were about 150$ In house model. I am having no issues what so ever.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:18 AM   #7
chris138
donkey roper

I just got some of these this season, been really happy with them so far and cant beat the price. I'm in the "replace every/everyother season" camp.

chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:19 AM   #8
chris138
donkey roper

Not sure why the link says 65$, they are around 115$
Old 07-30-2020, 11:03 AM   #9
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCantrell View Post
Is there a reason you want waders instead of wetsuit bottoms? I've been happy with 1.5mm wetsuit bottoms and a 0.5mm wetsuit top.
Swamp ass and yeast mode are two good reasons hahaha
Old 07-30-2020, 11:44 AM   #10
summers in kuwait

going on my 3rd year of Patagonia Rio Gallegos.

Very nice quality and fit.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:45 AM   #11
summers in kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
haha yeast mode. Yummy
Old 07-30-2020, 01:25 PM   #12
TJones

Monkey butt

Quote:
Is another legitimate reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 11FD0F6C-F349-47BE-B529-E5E28E2F0CB9.jpeg (151.9 KB, 173 views)
Old 07-30-2020, 03:40 PM   #13
BenCantrell

Remind me to stay out of wader threads from now on.
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:10 AM   #14
Gabe213

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Is another legitimate reason.
🤣🤣🤣 thanks for the response guys ive had the nrs pants and jacket for the last 5 years. Been pretty happy with them on calm days, but when there's surf they will allow water to creep inside making them pointless. Its time for waders! Gracias
Gabe213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:36 AM   #15
TJones

Those are good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe213 View Post
🤣🤣🤣 thanks for the response guys ive had the nrs pants and jacket for the last 5 years. Been pretty happy with them on calm days, but when there's surf they will allow water to creep inside making them pointless. Its time for waders! Gracias
for a hot summer day to protect your skin from the sun's rays while atop a PA, after you have made it through the surf with your waders. Waders undoubtably are like wearing a trash bag and board shorts don't offer any protection from the sun. I think a big part of it, is what kind of kayak you are riding on. Is it a wet ride? Personally I prefer staying dry as possible. Try the frogg toggs hellbender stocking foot waders. They are a Amazons choice. I currently own a pair. It won't break the bank either at around 90$. Also, it is recommended to put on some sort of gravel guard or dive boot atop the wader stocking foot. This will extend the life of the wader. The dive boot should run slightly larger to fit the stocking foot booty. A good boot is around 30$. Stick with the low cuff. This will allow an easy on and off fit. 2mm boot is plenty thick.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:33 AM   #16
DanaPT

For summer those nylon hiking pants are great to keep the sun off you and dry fast.

Go commando for ultra comfort. Cotton doesn't dry as fast as nylon.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:42 PM   #17
FullFlavorPike

I bought some of these to protect the stockingfeet: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use them for walking to and from the truck; and i don't wear them when I'm on the water. Shove them somewhere convenient on the bait tank or wherever.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:12 PM   #18
LEEZO

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers in kuwait View Post
going on my 3rd year of Patagonia Rio Gallegos.

Very nice quality and fit.
Found some XL king size on sale for $265 through Patagonia, the video reviews sold me.
LEEZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:58 AM   #19
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEZO View Post
Found some XL king size on sale for $265 through Patagonia, the video reviews sold me.
Thats a good deal!
Old 08-04-2020, 12:17 PM   #20
summers in kuwait

Quote:
Thats a good deal!
That is! I paid about the same via ebay. I was down to those vs Simms. But I have been very happy with them. Like I said three years in and although there is some fading in the fabric, they still work like day one.

I tend to try and clean blood and guts off them while on the water and I wash mine after every use with a gentle detergent and delicate on the washer. Hang dry the outside and flip them inside out and let them dry completely to get out all the moisture from the inside.