Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-01-2020, 04:24 PM   #1
bubbacee7

Sunshine and Fog

Hey Fishing Family. Fishinmike and I got out today at sunrise. Launched from Shelter Island Wading Beach at sunrise. Was a nice morning. Slight breeze cool water but not cold. Lots of yakers and tuna hunters. Today’s goal was to find the Sandie hole. Trolled a croc and a grub from beach to anchorage and pier. Snagged a catfish morsel. Fishinmike went straight across to NASNI side. Got around the south anchorage and started casting my weapons of choice. Worked the area on the drift. Got a lazy tail bite or two. PATIENCE. Paid off as I caught my first Sandie. Kept working back and forth as the current flowed well. Sun up and warming. About 820 a huge fog bank rolled in and the breeze blew stronger. Now I was being pushed into the pier instead of past it. Stayed foggy, breezy and moist for about 2 hours. Only caught a mack during this time. Light colored lures were no good. Sun came back out and so did the bite.

Fishinmike scored 4-5 along NASNI.

Fishinmike: 1 Hali, 4 sandies, 7 spotties

Bubbacee: 4 Sandies, 1 spottie, 2 catfish morsels.

I included a picture of what worked well for me. Recommend ghostie and dark green. Be prepared for the rolling fog. Be safe.
Attached Images

bubbacee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:29 PM   #2
Newguyhere
Junior

Awesome! I launched from smugglers cove on the naval base. I picked up bait from the bait barge but fishing seemed to be really slow today. I drifted around the bait barge with live bait on the bottom and throwing lures with nothing. Drifted around zuniga jetty on both sides with nothing. I foul hooked a small halibut on a coltsniper. Caught one barred Sand Bass on the sniper. And we headed back to smugglers cove. Once inside the cove I passed over a little hump with a mark on top of it and I dropped a sardine down and was almost instantly bit. Minutes later pulled up a 23.5 inch halibut.
Attached Images

Newguyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:30 PM   #3
Newguyhere
Junior

Right after pulling this guy in the boat, the naval boat pulled in to the cove and informed us fishing is no longer allowed inside the cove. Bummer
Old 08-01-2020, 10:07 PM   #4
bubbacee7

Nice catch on a tough day. Some time naval security in strict other time no where to be found.
bubbacee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:31 PM   #5
Southwest Kayak Fishing

Nice catches guys!
Southwest Kayak Fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:50 PM   #6
Newguyhere
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbacee7 View Post
Nice catch on a tough day. Some time naval security in strict other time no where to be found.
Yesterday was tough. I'm guessing it has to do with the drop in water temperature. I noticed it was anywhere between 57-60 degrees all day. Last time I saw those temperatures was in the winter.

Naval security has never said anything about fishing inside the cove before. It's usually where I launch from if I'm fishing San Diego bay and I'll always start fishing in there for a little bit. Family's will hang out on the beach and fish, but now I guess there's signs that say no fishing.