Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-25-2020, 07:42 AM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

La Jolla 7/24 Skunked again but it was a beautiful day

I went out on 7/24 for the first time in over a month. Always hopeful, I did not come home with a prize...again. That does not mean that the trip was a disappointment, however.

At 6:30, the launch was pretty busy but it was low tide so there was plenty of room. My wing-man Mark was riding his new Solo skiff. I had not seen one of these in person previously. It is a great option if your fishing style is to cover a lot of water and get to your spot quickly. This thing has plenty of room and appears to be easy to launch and land. Mark looked like he was enjoying himself.

As for the launch itself, the tiny surf made everything very easy. It took a while to find bait but when we did, there were plenty of nice-sized greenies. The day started out overcast but there was no wind and the air was warm. By about 11:00 the sun was taking over.

There were a good number of kayaks and a few PBs one the water this day. I did not see much in the way of action, however. I saw one guy hook a small barracuda. Another guy told me he got a calico. The jackpot fish of the day was a 12-15 lb YT. The rest of us could only brag about making bait. I did get close to hooking something worth taking home a few times. My bait was attacked and killed multiple times but there were no hookups.

Some might wonder why I do not consider my latest skunking a disappointment. Peddling around for 5 hours in what could be described as nearly perfect conditions gives one plenty of time to think. I realized that while catching fish is the ultimate goal, just spending a beautiful day on the water is a pleasurable experience that one should treasure. From that perspective, I count this trip as a blessing.

Until next time.
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:51 AM   #2
ProfessorLongArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post

Some might wonder why I do not consider my latest skunking a disappointment. Peddling around for 5 hours in what could be described as nearly perfect conditions gives one plenty of time to think. I realized that while catching fish is the ultimate goal, just spending a beautiful day on the water is a pleasurable experience that one should treasure. From that perspective, I count this trip as a blessing.

Until next time.
Hear hear!

My dad always said there’s a reason they don’t just call it catching.

I always strive to find the balance between ambition and joy on the water...
Countless hours spent ruminating and planning, for the day to whip by in a blur.

OTOH, it’s like they say: a bad day on the water is always better than a good day in the office

Thanks for the share.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:48 AM   #3
bracks

Agree! I feel a lot of gratitude to be able to do what we do. Catching is cooler but the more I can free myself from that outcome the better the experience (especially in La Jolla where the Skunk reins supreme on most days!)
bracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:46 PM   #4
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post
Hear hear!

My dad always said there’s a reason they don’t just call it catching.

I always strive to find the balance between ambition and joy on the water...
Countless hours spent ruminating and planning, for the day to whip by in a blur.

OTOH, it’s like they say: a bad day on the water is always better than a good day in the office

Thanks for the share.
X2, very well said. It's the experience that should be enjoyed!
Old 07-25-2020, 05:32 PM   #5
LEEZO

Skunks last 3X out this month, been a tad slow. Drifting around off the jewel all day in a kayak is always good way to spend the day. Can't wait to head out on another mission. yellowtail hunt continues...
LEEZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:28 AM   #6
jbl_91762

It happens. Hope you live close by, as I got skunked twice after driving down almost 2 hours. Gave up on making that trek.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:08 AM   #7
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

It truly is just nice to be on the water and take in mother nature!
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:56 AM   #8
JohnMckroidJr

Nice report. Time on the water..... the more the better your chances.... your trophy is waiting.... persistence will pay off.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:27 AM   #9
Salty

PREACH!
I 100% agree. Helped out as a makeshift deckhand on my buddy's boat last week so he could take 2 of his clients out to fish south of San Clemente Island. One had never been fishing offshore, for the other it had been well over 10 years. This trip was like something out of a National Geographic film. Fin whales leaping our through bait balls, porpoise and dolphins everywhere, tuna boils popping up all over, several big shark sightings and some of the biggest bird tornadoes I've seen in years. Even had a HUGE marlin come up from nowhere on a paddy and hook up 10 feet behind the boat on a sardine on a 25lb yellowtail setup! (he didn't land it of course. We all saw it smash the bait and it was epic...)
I am always grateful to see things like this out there, but seeing it through the eyes of someone that has never seen anything like it really makes you appreciate it that much more. Being able to get on the water, whether in a boat, kayak, surfboard or whatever, is a privilege that most people have not or will never get to experience. I just love being out there. So whether or not I come home with fish is secondary. I enjoy it for the experience, the hunt, the peace and serenity.
All that said, nothing beats an epic day on the water AND getting to fight and land some good fish
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote