Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2016, 12:05 PM   #1
Sir g neville
Junior

New to the area... Looking for a vessel!

Hey guys, long time lurker here. I moved recently to Orange County, CA from the UK. I just sold my kayak back home and I'm looking to get out on the water mainly in Newport Harbour.

I don't have the biggest budget ($250-$350) and I'm not expecting anything special for that price, would something like this suffice for fishing and the occasional leisure session?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sun-Dolphi...addle/32333500

If any of you guys have any better suggestions id be more than happy to listen, along with any general tips of the area!

Hopefully I'll see some of you guys out there soon! Thanks
Sir g neville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:36 PM   #2
Orca Winfrey

Welcome to the colonies and to the forum. I'm no expert, but I think you would do better buying a used kayak rather than a new cheap one. I recently saw a post on the buy/sell section of this forum for a 13 foot Ocean Kayak Prowler for around $400. It's a fine yak that does well on the open waters. Disclaimer: I happen to own one myself. I'm sure others with far more knowledge and expertise than I will join in.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=28255

Last edited by Orca Winfrey; 04-26-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:40 PM   #3
Jizzling

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...uctId=11279269

I know this may be out of your budget range but Dick's also has some decent kayaks for a decent price. Give it a look and welcome to BWE
Jizzling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:30 PM   #4
Sir g neville
Junior

Thanks for the links, I'm willing to stretch the budget so these are all great help! (Just don't tell my wife)
Old 04-26-2016, 01:50 PM   #5
Orca Winfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir g neville View Post
Thanks for the links, I'm willing to stretch the budget so these are all great help! (Just don't tell my wife)
Hahaha! I'm in the same boat. This hobby is as addictive as a schedule I drug. We are doomed.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:57 PM   #6
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizzling View Post
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...uctId=11279269

I know this may be out of your budget range but Dick's also has some decent kayaks for a decent price. Give it a look and welcome to BWE
Shit that's a good deal for a first time boat. Wonder how seaworthy that thing is.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:17 PM   #7
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Winfrey View Post
Welcome to the colonies and to the forum. I'm no expert, but I think you would do better buying a used kayak rather than a new cheap one. I recently saw a post on the buy/sell section of this forum for a 13 foot Ocean Kayak Prowler for around $400. It's a fine yak that does well on the open waters. Disclaimer: I happen to own one myself. I'm sure others with far more knowledge and expertise than I will join in.

I agree, save up for something used and good rather than going with something that's new and not so good. My first kayak was a Prowler, I paid $700 for it, I didn't want to get into anything expensive because I wasn't sure if kayaking was going to be my thing...............seven years later I'm going on my third kayak.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:19 PM   #8
Sir g neville
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I agree, save up for something used and good rather than going with something that's new and not so good. My first kayak was a Prowler, I paid $700 for it, I didn't want to get into anything expensive because I wasn't sure if kayaking was going to be my thing...............seven years later I'm going on my third kayak.
Makes sense, mind if I ask the main differences between a good kayak and a bad one?
Old 04-26-2016, 02:38 PM   #9
DanaPT

Quote:
Makes sense, mind if I ask the main differences between a good kayak and a bad one?
how a kayak is molded and material (density/strength). Also, consider peddle vs. paddle.

Sit on top is probably better than sit inside kayak models. Longer and wider is more stable. For fishing deck space and rod holders are nice to have. So are nice features like compatibility with bait tanks and fish finders.

OEX this online store is a great place to start to know what is your style of kayak. then you can decide budget new or used, etc. I think you ought to buy a kayak bent towards fishing. You're gonna have fun with it.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:45 PM   #10
Fishin' Magician

I've got a Malibu Stealth 12 that's in very good condition that I was looking to sell for $500.00. It's got the bait tank already plumbed, an anchor trolley, Trac rails, and new side hatches. Normal wear and tear on the bottom, minor scraps. It also has a transducer for a Lowrance Elite 4 HDI, but I've got the head unit on my Malibu X Factor.

I've used it mostly in Newport Harbor, Mission Bay and San Diego Bay. Last year I took it out on the Islander to SCI. It worked out great, very stable even in the high wind and large swells we had in the morning last year on that trip.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:03 PM   #11
Sir g neville
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin' Magician View Post
I've got a Malibu Stealth 12 that's in very good condition that I was looking to sell for $500.00. It's got the bait tank already plumbed, an anchor trolley, Trac rails, and new side hatches. Normal wear and tear on the bottom, minor scraps. It also has a transducer for a Lowrance Elite 4 HDI, but I've got the head unit on my Malibu X Factor.

I've used it mostly in Newport Harbor, Mission Bay and San Diego Bay. Last year I took it out on the Islander to SCI. It worked out great, very stable even in the high wind and large swells we had in the morning last year on that trip.
Would you be able to show me some pictures? Thanks!
Old 04-26-2016, 03:03 PM   #12
cris

Quote:
Hey guys, long time lurker here. I moved recently to Orange County, CA from the UK. I just sold my kayak back home and I'm looking to get out on the water mainly in Newport Harbour.

I don't have the biggest budget ($250-$350) and I'm not expecting anything special for that price, would something like this suffice for fishing and the occasional leisure session?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sun-Dolphi...addle/32333500

If any of you guys have any better suggestions id be more than happy to listen, along with any general tips of the area!

Hopefully I'll see some of you guys out there soon! Thanks

Welcome Sir g!

I moved over from London last year. Nice change in weather hey?
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:06 PM   #13
tacmik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Winfrey View Post

x2. Great kayak at a very good price. For your price range, it can't be beat. Good in both the bays and open ocean.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:06 PM   #14
Sir g neville
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
how a kayak is molded and material (density/strength). Also, consider peddle vs. paddle.

Sit on top is probably better than sit inside kayak models. Longer and wider is more stable. For fishing deck space and rod holders are nice to have. So are nice features like compatibility with bait tanks and fish finders.

OEX this online store is a great place to start to know what is your style of kayak. then you can decide budget new or used, etc. I think you ought to buy a kayak bent towards fishing. You're gonna have fun with it.
Thanks for the info! Very helpful stuff
Old 04-26-2016, 03:17 PM   #15
Sir g neville
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris View Post
Welcome Sir g!

I moved over from London last year. Nice change in weather hey?
Just a little bit! Good to see I'm not the only one out here!
Old 04-26-2016, 06:38 PM   #16
Harry Hill

I can make you a deal on a Bass Pro FS12T. It is a very stable yak but not especially fast, you can stand up in it though and it has a great seat. It is not quite a year old.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:41 PM   #17
Wyota

Try Sports Chalet

Welcome to the States. Lived a few years in N. Yorkshire myself, and my lovely bride is from Southwest London.

Check out Sports Chalet. You might get lucky and catch a nice deal on an Ocean Kayak as they increase their percentage off sale as they go out of business. Might just drop one into your upper band.

Scott
Wyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:06 PM   #18
Sir g neville
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
I can make you a deal on a Bass Pro FS12T. It is a very stable yak but not especially fast, you can stand up in it though and it has a great seat. It is not quite a year old.
Could I see some pics? Thanks!
Old 04-26-2016, 07:07 PM   #19
Sir g neville
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyota View Post
Welcome to the States. Lived a few years in N. Yorkshire myself, and my lovely bride is from Southwest London.

Check out Sports Chalet. You might get lucky and catch a nice deal on an Ocean Kayak as they increase their percentage off sale as they go out of business. Might just drop one into your upper band.

Scott
Gonna check out those sales! Thanks for the tip
Old 04-26-2016, 07:11 PM   #20
Harry Hill

Quote:
Could I see some pics? Thanks!
I'll take some tomorrow and post them for you.