Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #21
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
If you want to catch halibut, and the big ones, get this book and follow what Paul does. He's a good friend of mine and I promise you if you follow his tips, you will catch bigger and more halibut. I've fished with him and seen him in action, his catches are proof, and I have not seen anyone in San Diego catch more or bigger halis than he does.

http://www.amazon.com/Catch-BIG-Hali...ywords=Halibut

Was he on the radio a few weeks ago? If he was try using one of his 'best' halibut rig tips: use a 6-8 foot leader for you hook(s)

I'd like to see someone trying to gaff a PB best hali or any hali with a 6-8 leader on it. Like Greg said, I'm sure it works great on a boat but trying it on a kayak will require playing the Benny Hill theme song in the background.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #22
ful-rac
Emperor

Rockcod rick asked him how to immediately kill a halibut...and he responded...just bleed it out and it will die within minutes....

After he made that statement I knew for sure he was full of shit...!
Old 11-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #23
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Was he on the radio a few weeks ago? If he was try using one of his 'best' halibut rig tips: use a 6-8 foot leader for you hook(s)

I'd like to see someone trying to gaff a PB best hali or any hali with a 6-8 leader on it. Like Greg said, I'm sure it works great on a boat but trying it on a kayak will require playing the Benny Hill theme song in the background.
I have used his tips, and I have modified them to fit the Kayak. If you want to read it word for word that's all you, but I have used these tips and have had success with them. I'm for sure not Greg, so who cares what I say. I know it works, and so I use what works. To each their own.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #24
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Rockcod rick asked him how to immediately kill a halibut...and he responded...just bleed it out and it will die within minutes....

After he made that statement I knew for sure he was full of shit...!
You missed his answer about gaffing the fish in the belly, and it was repeated a few times so that it was clear. Yes, he also bleeds the fish out.

I know I get it, I posted up something so those who don't like me are going to bash what I say. Cool, that's a great way to be closed minded.

I've said all I'm going to say. I tried helping some out, and you all spat on it so. You all wonder why this site is losing people this is why.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #25
bosshoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd one View Post
I've been out there pounding it. I've only been catching barely legal ones. I got my 30lb leader broken off out in the deep water a couple weeks ago, by what I think would have put me in the 40lb club. I let my line pile up on one side, my reel started binding, and she was gone. I got more footage for my bloopers video.

Atta boy....At least you're still at it...Too bad on the break off...40lb club is in your cross hairs for sure.. Ok, take care.....
bosshoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #26
YakDout
Brandon

Im surprised nobody mentioned the bounce ball. I've had some good luck with those. I make my own to modify leader lengths because I've had problems in the past with getting em tangled up. But a great technique in open water for flatties.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #27
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
I know I get it, I posted up something so those who don't like me are going to bash what I say. Cool, that's a great way to be closed minded.

I've said all I'm going to say. I tried helping some out, and you all spat on it so. You all wonder why this site is losing people this is why.

I'm thinking you're being a bit thin skinned Jimmy. Not sure why that direct response off of your post was taken personally. These guys aren't trying to chase anyone off. The first time I met them formally was at last year's Sewer open invite at Irvine Lake. Before that, a pm from Jorge helped me get my first yak WSB. He had no idea who the heck I was.

Irvine is trout fishing in a mud hole but there's no better way to get to meet and hang with some of SoCal's best yak fisherman who also happen to be...pinche loco. It's not too late to jump in on next week's get-together.

I've had some incredible butt fishing with these guys this year down here and up there. The Sewer boys POUND WATER FOR HOURS...on the yak. They're approachable, opinionated and...and...and..."colorful". They've accumulated mucho info in which they freely share to others. Even amongst themselves each one has their go-to set-ups and preferences. I remember the first time they came down to fish butts with me in an area I recommended and it turned out to be a bust. I took some heat from them for a couple of months. It was all in good fun...I think. And then there was the time Sewer came back down on a spot I found but Matt couldn't make it that trip...bahahahahahaha!!! :chee rs1:

Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Last edited by Deamon; 11-16-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #28
StinkyMatt

Jimmy,

It's all about fishing. Don't get upset because someone does not agree with someone else's ways of fishing. The flip side of this is that just because someone wrote a book or posted something online does not mean that their techniques are applicable to what we do on the water.

I don't know jack......that's been established a long time ago.

However,,

When someone like Greg talks about kayak halibut fishing, I would just close my mouth and keep my ears open.

Tight lines.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #29
taggermike

I haven't been hali hunting much lately but the techniques that work best for me have been a Carolina style sliding sinker rig for shallow water and a dropper loop or 3 way swivel rig for deeper water. Depth and speed of drift dictate what weight to use but I like to fish heavy enough to keep the line close to vertical.

Some times you get the bait you get. Big fish get caught on chovies, but I like dines or macks for targeting bigger fish. Really, who wants to target small fish. Maybe I'm old school or just missed the memo, but I never use a trailer/stinger hook, ever. I've found that trailers restrict the baits movements, allow you to catch more short fish, and seriously gut hook sand bass and other fish. Big halibut will eat a bait.

I fish a light wire circle hook, sized to the bait, set in the baits nose.
For halibut I slow every thing down. longer free spool at bite, slow rod lift to "set" the circle hook, slow steady pressure on the fish, slow pumps of the rod (or none at all). You can keep a hali calm, usually, by raising her steadily from the bottom. Aggressive pulling or pumping can get the fish shaking her head. Never a good thing.

Lastly, it's easy to say but stay calm. IMO, except for maybe sharks, at landing big halibut are the most anxiety inducing fish we have. I've had em lay there, get gaffed, and dragged in to the hatch with out a twitch. Also had em go off like bombs.

I know, long reply. These are techniques that have worked for me. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #30
taggermike

I haven't been hali hunting much lately but the techniques that work best for me have been a Carolina style sliding sinker rig for shallow water and a dropper loop or 3 way swivel rig for deeper water. Depth and speed of drift dictate what weight to use but I like to fish heavy enough to keep the line close to vertical.

Some times you get the bait you get. Big fish get caught on chovies, but I like dines or macks for targeting bigger fish. Really, who wants to target small fish. Maybe I'm old school or just missed the memo, but I never use a trailer/stinger hook, ever. I've found that trailers restrict the baits movements, allow you to catch more short fish, and seriously gut hook sand bass and other fish. Big halibut will eat a bait.

I fish a light wire circle hook, sized to the bait, set in the baits nose.
For halibut I slow every thing down. longer free spool at bite, slow rod lift to "set" the circle hook, slow steady pressure on the fish, slow pumps of the rod (or none at all). You can keep a hali calm, usually, by raising her steadily from the bottom. Aggressive pulling or pumping can get the fish shaking her head. Never a good thing.

Lastly, it's easy to say but stay calm. IMO, except for maybe sharks, at landing big halibut are the most anxiety inducing fish we have. I've had em lay there, get gaffed, and dragged in to the hatch with out a twitch. Also had em go off like bombs.

I know, long reply. These are techniques that have worked for me. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #31
jorluivil

OOOOOOH JIM EE ZEE ONE TWO THREE

WE'RE JUST TRYING TO MAKE NEW FISHING FRIENDS

If you took part in any one of our very intellectual and highly productive conversations you'd ask yourself why anyone would fish with us. We will dissect, critique, disassemble, analyze, re-write, and question every suggestion, policy and procedure that goes against what we know..............why? Because we're all experts in some way, shape or form

Don't take any personal.....its just fishing

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 11-16-2013 at 03:15 PM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote