Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 04:47 AM   #1
Matt
Support your local pangas

Kooks will be kooks!! Funniest thing is your calling the "cops" about something that is legal hahaha understand the laws first! Did you get a free blue shirt that says "mpa's work"????
Old 01-21-2012, 06:10 AM   #2
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

"Mind your own business" comes to mind...
Old 01-21-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
dorado50

So Bob,what u r saying is that if someone catches a trophy outside mpa zone and the fish takes them into the illegal zone(where they boat it) you are reporting this to the the dfg. Not cool..........My father always warned me of "do gooders" now I see why.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
mckenzie

Thumbs down

No you didn't, REALLY?
Old 01-21-2012, 06:53 AM   #5
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Well, I guess I have been taken to the woodshed. I am very surprised at the flaming that I am taking for this one. Everyone, of course is entitled to their opinion. I will stand by mine.

My position on this is that if the average guy is going to have to abide by these new regs, the commercial fishermen should have to do so as well. What I saw yesterday was obviously intentional. Who among us supports the idea that one class of fishermen has to obey the law and another class does not?

The more important point of my post was the the fact that the organization chartered with enforcing the new regs is clueless as to what they are. The fact that the procedure used to deal with the commercial poachers that were identified is to mail a letter was also an eye opener.

Like it or not, the new regs are here, at least for a while. We have to live with the cards that we have been dealt. Contrary to what some might think, the DFG wardens are not the enemy. They have an important job to do and precious few resources with which to do it. I, for one would rather have a cordial and respectful relationship with these guys rather than an adversarial one. I think that I may have done a bit to help secure the former with what I did yesterday.

Bob
Old 01-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #6
ericko

I would have looked the other way..... I STILL LIKE YA BOB
Old 01-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #7
Hypoxic1

Cool Nothing like pulling the fire alarm

Hmm, this sounds like a great way to encourage the badges to spend more time down here. I cant believe what I just read. unfuckingbelieveable
Old 01-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #8
Iceman
Administrator

As I paddled in yesterday the guy was pulling his traps right at the "old" boundary. I watched him pull and measure and re dump his traps. I considered paddling over and asking if he knew the lines had been changed as of Jan 1 and is lobster trapping exempt.

I decided to not bother If he is oblivious to the fight for his livelyhood, he deserves the ticket. I did not feel compelled at all to help the DFG with the 3 foot high permit # on the side of his boat.

I does not surprise me that commercial fishermen have never heard of the MLPA or even some of the wardens.

Bob,

you did what you felt was right, it would piss me off if the DFG did not treat ALL violators equally, I don't think anyone will be ticketed any time soon in LJ
Old 01-21-2012, 07:43 AM   #9
Matt
Support your local pangas

Before you get dudes in trouble and call the "cops" or DFG please remember that the world HATES SNITCHES!! and Mlpa supporters
Old 01-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #10
lbsurf2ca

Oh man... please delete this post immediately!
Old 01-21-2012, 08:23 AM   #11
mbaha

THANK YOU BOB!!!
I get pissed about those POACHERS every time I drive down prospect. I have been meaning to take pictures from shore, where you clearly see they are POACHING and send them to DFG. Calling Cal-Tip has never worked for me. Did you get the name of either warden? It would be nice to follow up and make sure the POACHING stops.

Thank you for being steward of our natural resources.

:notwor thy::cheer s1:
Old 01-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #12
T Bone

My brother is a sportboat Capt At Davies Locker (Freelance and Bongos)and knows many commercial lobster fisherman.No one is more fudgepacked than them on all of this since most of these MPA's are inshore reef areas and not vast expanse of sandy beach that doesnt hold much if any lobster.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
Old 01-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #13
roadx

Bob you have gave a lot of good suggestions and tips but this is not right. what the hell were you thinking?

jealously is a terrible thing. YOU cant do it, so no one can mentality is destroying this country.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #14
Billy V

I fished N/W La Jolla 4 times in the last 2 weeks on my boat, and I know exactly where the GPS boundaries are. I also fished Torry Pines, and S. La Jolla on a commercial boat with a GPS Overlay of the reserves on the chart plotter and still did not see any lobster traps inside a reserve.

I did not see a single lobster buoy in the new reserve.

Incase you did not know - the lobsterman may legally set their traps right up to the GPS line, if the buoy is dragged inside the reserve by the tide or current, the trap is still legal. The measurement is taken from where the cage lies on the ocean floor.
-------------------------------
To jump to a conclusion, and sound the General Alarm is just plain wrong.
-Would you react with such conviction in other matters of Law ?

We sure could have used such dedication while fighting the Illegal and Corrupt Blue Ribbon Task Force. Its right there on YouTube for you to see. Listen to the BRTF Lie about their ownership of Marinas, How they governed themselves as bound by the brown act, the fuel docks they own and much more.

Meg Caldwell gets a little wet in her pp at the mere mention of the letters mlpa. Those are the real outlaws, the real violators. The ones who bent you over and stole your ocean, then shoved their fist straight up your arse.

I question your judgement and reaction on the DFG tipster incident without having fully known what was legal or illegal. Everyone here will suffer the consequences of this action - Regardless if you were right or wrong.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #15
mbaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
I fished N/W La Jolla 4 times in the last 2 weeks on my boat, and I know exactly where the GPS boundaries are. I also fished Torry Pines, and S. La Jolla on a commercial boat with a GPS Overlay of the reserves on the chart plotter and still did not see any lobster traps inside a reserve.

I did not see a single lobster buoy in the new reserve.

Incase you did not know - the lobsterman may legally set their traps right up to the GPS line, if the buoy is dragged inside the reserve by the tide or current, the trap is still legal. The measurement is taken from where the cage lies on the ocean floor.
To jump to a conclusion, and sound the General Alarm is just plain wrong.
-Would you react with such conviction in other matters of Law ?

We sure could have used such dedication while fighting the Illegal and Corrupt Blue Ribbon Task Force. Its right there on YouTube for you to see. Listen to the BRTF Lie about their ownership of Marinas, How they governed themselves as bound by the brown act, the fuel docks they own and much more.

Meg Caldwell gets a little wet in her pp at the mere mention of the letters mlpa. Those are the real outlaws, the real violators. The ones who bent you over and stole your ocean, then shoved their fist straight up your arse.

I question your judgement and reaction on the DFG tipster incident without having fully known what was legal or illegal. Everyone here will suffer the consequences of this action - Regardless if you were right or wrong.
Billy, come sit at Alligator head for 1/2 hour and you will see POACHERS setting and retrieving lobster pots right against the southern most buoys, which is INSIDE the new reserve.

Maybe I'll take some pictures on Monday so we can all see them POACHING
Old 01-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #16
Podaker

Speechless......
Old 01-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #17
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
That's a very good point!!!
Old 01-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #18
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Who among us supports the idea that one class of fishermen has to obey the law and another class does not?

Bob
There is nothing egalitarian about law, policies, rules and regulations, etc. We can't (with the presumption we know the law) fish in an invisible boundary. But there will always people who do.....it's not my job to police them.

It's kind of analogous with people speeding past me on the freeway when I'm going at or slightly under the posted speed limit.

Quote:
These guys have no excuse for not knowing where the legal grounds are.
The antithesis to this is the DFG wardens should have no exuse for not knowing where the leagal grounds are as well.

As a graduate student in a MPA program, it is quite frequent that policies that are enacted under the auspices of environmental ideologies, get enacted, without ever a plan to enforce such rule under their current resources.

Jason
Old 01-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #19
T-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
I, for one would rather have a cordial and respectful relationship with these guys rather than an adversarial one. I think that I may have done a bit to help secure the former with what I did yesterday.

Bob
Bob, I gotta disagree with you. I believe we should always maintain a courteous and respectful relationship with the DFG wardens, but this doesn't require anyone to help enforce the MLPA.

I'd fully support you for reporting someone taking shorts, but the MLPA and new boundaries are complete BS and were implemented through a disgusting and corrupt process. I'm shocked anyone in the fishing community would go out of their way to help enforce implementation of the MLPA.

Last edited by T-Rex; 01-21-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Closed Thread