Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
Irishman

Daily Driver and Kayak Transport

Who drives what vehicle and feedback on transporting a kayak. I have a 2005 Frontier Crew Cab with a roof rack and "extend a truck" hitch that I use in the vertical position. Works well but loading and unloading is tedious. I may have to switch to a more fuel efficient vehicle and was wondering if anyone else has feedback on what cars / station wagons are in use that can handle a 14' kayak. Regrets from going from a truck to station wagon??
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #2
CKallday71

I use my 2012 TDI Golf to tote my Yak around. 40MPG and it does EVERYTHING!!

You can also get a TDI Volkswagen Jetta Wagon. Same fuel economy with a little more storage.

I sell Volkswagen by the way so if you need a car send me a PM. (Shameless plug)
CKallday71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
danjor

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double cab with a camper shell. Carries all my gear and yaks great. Tons of storage, only downside is with the bigger tires and lift I get 12mpg....
I would get one of those TDI Volkswagen's in a heart beat if it wasn't for the fact I can't stand to drive a small car and I use my truck to tow stuff too often so I'm stuck with my truck that gets the same gas mileage wide open as I it does driving it like a old person, so wide open it is
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
Raskal311

Same here I have a 2007 Double Cab Tacoma with bigger tires and small lift. I get about 16mpg. I use my truck as a truck to often to drive anything else at this point. ffice

I transport the PA in the bed (5’) using a bed extender and it’s a breeze getting it on and off. I’m only 5’7” 140 lb btw.

The Frontier is a great truck so it makes little sense if aren’t going to be savings a substantial amount taking in to account lost of usability, extra car payments, insurance ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjor View Post
2001 Toyota Tacoma Double cab with a camper shell. Carries all my gear and yaks great. Tons of storage, only downside is with the bigger tires and lift I get 12mpg....
I would get one of those TDI Volkswagen's in a heart beat if it wasn't for the fact I can't stand to drive a small car and I use my truck to tow stuff too often so I'm stuck with my truck that gets the same gas mileage wide open as I it does driving it like a old person, so wide open it is
Old 05-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Titan Crew cab 5.2 V8 17-22 mpg. who cares about gas mileage when the WSB are biting.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
TEAMFISH
Team Kayak Obesessions

2004 F350 4x4 Diesel...Hauls the yak just fine
Also hauls the Skipjack and 40' toyhauler
TEAMFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
danjor

You know what bugs me. Full size trucks get 16-20 mpg and the best these older v6 tacos get is 15 stock... How is it a smaller engine moving less weight can't get better than bigger engine moving more weight... I burn $40-50 of gas a day at work in this thing...
One day I will get the supercharger so I can dgaf about the mpg since than ill actually feel like I'm getting something out of the gas I'm dumping into this thing.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Hogstir

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjor View Post
You know what bugs me. Full size trucks get 16-20 mpg and the best these older v6 tacos get is 15 stock... How is it a smaller engine moving less weight can't get better than bigger engine moving more weight... I burn $40-50 of gas a day at work in this thing...
One day I will get the supercharger so I can dgaf about the mpg since than ill actually feel like I'm getting something out of the gas I'm dumping into this thing.
A lot of the new V8's have a multi-displacement mode. When you are just cruising, the engine shuts off 4 cylinders. My Dodge with a Hemi motor gets 23 mpg highway.
Hogstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAMFISH View Post
2004 F350 4x4 Diesel...Hauls the yak just fine
Also hauls the Skipjack and 40' toyhauler
how do you get the skippy up on the racks?

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogstir View Post
A lot of the new V8's have a multi-displacement mode. When you are just cruising, the engine shuts off 4 cylinders. My Dodge with a Hemi motor gets 23 mpg highway.
The current tacoma engine is a 8 year old design. My buddies V8 dual cab tundra gets 17mpg.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
dra8642
Junior

Honda Civic

I drive 62 miles one way and paddle either before work or after. I can put 2 Revo 13's on top and a bike in the middle (all at the same time). I bought bars that were just a little longer to accommodate the extra stuff. For most of us "Super commuters" that live (literally) out of their cars, you learn to make due with what you have. I still get in the mid 30's MPG and it cruises the freeway just fine. " A man's got to know his limitations!" I do put one extra strap across the top center to pull the load tight inward to stabilize the load but that is just an extra and probably not needed. I hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130503_072636.jpg (48.8 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130503_072626.jpg (54.6 KB, 241 views)
dra8642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by dra8642 View Post
I drive 62 miles one way and paddle either before work or after. I can put 2 Revo 13's on top and a bike in the middle (all at the same time). I bought bars that were just a little longer to accommodate the extra stuff. For most of us "Super commuters" that live (literally) out of their cars, you learn to make due with what you have. I still get in the mid 30's MPG and it cruises the freeway just fine. " A man's got to know his limitations!" I do put one extra strap across the top center to pull the load tight inward to stabilize the load but that is just an extra and probably not needed. I hope this helps.
Dang and I feel uneasy about having one sit flat on the roof rack of my truck. That would be nerve racking to me. Props to you sir.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #13
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dra8642 View Post
Hah. I saw you at Torrey pines thus morning while I was checking the surf
Old 05-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #14
beef78
Large Member

I drive a jeep commander and I use a kayak mount for the roof racks. I know the advantage of using a smaller car or a truck is that you don't have to lift you kayak above your head to get it on the car. I have seen little prius with an 18 foot kayak on top, so I don't think you'd have much issue. You might want to get one of those rooftop cargo boxes for some of your gear tho, if you don't have a lot of cargo space in the car.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #15
Big Wave Dave

I have a Chevy Silverado, but while in Hawaii last summer, I drove all over the island with a kayak on top of a Chevy sonic. I think you can put one on top of about anything but a smart car.
Big Wave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #16
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

heres my civic with a 12ft OK scrambler XT, and my tacoma with a Tarpon 12 + Cobra excape (you cant see the escape)
civic got 18MPG (motor mods kill gas). the tacoma is a 5lug ext cab 4cyl so it gets 24mpg (freshly rebuilt motor)

Last edited by vincentek9; 05-05-2013 at 04:58 PM.
vincentek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:14 AM   #17
SoCalCJ

Personally, I prefer using a truck. Having everything all rigged and setup before you hit the launch is a nice luxury.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (71.4 KB, 78 views)
SoCalCJ is offline   Reply With Quote