Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
Ggiannig89

sabiki questions

Where does everybody buy there sabikis? What brands? Or do you guys make your own? Arw they worth the time to make your own? Lets hear some sabiki info and suggestions
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
Dannowar

Buy one. Trim it. I use 3 hooks. Had the same one since summer.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
Cbad Mike

I buy whatever one is cheap, use it one day and toss it because of tangles.
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
jorluivil

Sabiki's are like toilet paper, use it once and toss it.

I usually do what Danno does, I've never had a Sabiki come up with more than 2-3 dines or macs so I don't think there is a need for six hooks. I believe 3 is plenty enough, it also prevents tangles and decreases the chance of other hooks getting caught on you. I usually buy whatever is cheapest.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 02-20-2013 at 05:53 AM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
GregAndrew

Fred Hall show. Get em for a buck.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
MrM

I use a 5 hook sabiki. 3 or 4 is probably better, though. If you ever pull a full string by the time you get to the 5th fish it's been out of the water a bit, and chances are you've tangled up somewhere.

Walmart has some cheap ones. I only use a sabiki for 2 or 3 trips then throw I it away- It's usually thrashed by then.

I bought a sabiki rod on either Amazon or eBay, I forget. 50 bucks (ish) and it works pretty good. You can do without a rod, but that's all personal preference.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
yaker81
Banned

I have my wifes mom send me a bunch of the these packs from japan a couple times per year. They are only $1 and you get 2 sabikis in 1 pack.

yaker81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
dmrides

Owners.....

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=dC_L0...%3DdC_L0xOVAHU

You never know what's going to hit your sabiki
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
Drake

Charbait has the best price on Sabiki's at about $1.19 or so a piece. WM/Dana/Anglers Choice all charge in the 3-4 range. I buy in bulk, cut in half and discard
Old 02-20-2013, 05:34 AM   #10
Raskal311

Swamp meet $1 each I believe, its been awhile. I generally buy 10 and it last me a awhile.
Raskal311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
taggermike

Same here. The cheapest I can fish and usually cut down the number of hooks. A full string of big macks is a PITA on a yak. And if you have 1 to 3 baits on the sibiki the other damn hooks will find a way in to you or about any thing else on the kayak. when they're beat upI roll themup tight and trash em. I use sibiki rods when I fish from a skiff but on the kayak I don't want a pole holder taken up all day. Mike.
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #12
Dirty Curti

See, sometimes the most obvious thing eludes me. No shit, just cut it down to 3 or 4 hooks for better handling. Why didn't I think of that???

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #13
PE.rider

They all generally work well. I prefer Lucky Luras since they are cheaper and have less hooks.

The higher-priced Japanese-made rigs from Hayabashi and others are fine for when fish are finicky and you need some extra edge like having fluorocarbon line or a greater assortment of shrimp/holographic patterns.

The worst ones in my opinion are the larger rubber jigs that are supposed to look like squid.

Also, it doesn't hurt to have an s-shaped hook tool to hold the line taught while removing baitfish.

For storage, I have cut sections of pool-noodle segments that I re-wrap sabiki rigs with so that I can re-use them for no more than 4 or 5 outings. The trick is to make sure you rinse everything after use with freshwater.

Lastly, stay away from the Basspro shops off-shore angler brand.... the hooks are of such inferior quality that they break often.
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #14
Ggiannig89

A lot of help here. Thanks cant wait to make bait now haha
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #15
jorluivil

One of the things that I do to ALL of my Sabiki hooks is bend the barb back against the hook, it makes removal of the bait much and I mean much easier. I usually flop the Sabiki with the bait attached right over the kayak and the bait will usually jiggle right off. Doing this also gives me a chance to drop the Sabiki back into the water without skipping a beat. I will usually leave the bait in the well until the bite slows down, at that point I grab them and throw them in the bait tank. Bending the hooks back also helps whenever they get hooked on something, they will slide right out.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 02-20-2013 at 05:27 PM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #16
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
One of the things that I do to ALL of my Sabiki hooks is bend the barb back against the hook, it makes removal of the bait much and I mean much easier. I usually flop the Sabiki with the bait attached right over the kayak and the bait will usually jiggle right off. Doing this also gives me a chance to drop the Sabiki back into the water without skipping a beat. I will usually leave the bait in the well until the bite slows down, at that point I grab them and throw them in the bait tank. Bending the hooks back also helps whenever they get hooks on something, they will slide right out.
This exactly. You'll lose a few here and there but the annoyance factor is depleted completely
Old 02-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #17
GregAndrew

I leave all the hooks on my sabiki. For fast moving bait schools, I want to get as many as I can when I find them. I also use a tool like this to quickly remove them.

Hold the tool upside down from how it appears, then pull your line down through the slot until the bait/hook catches the loop then a quick pop with both hands releases the bait. Essentially it holds your hook upside down.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #18
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
I leave all the hooks on my sabiki. For fast moving bait schools, I want to get as many as I can when I find them. I also use a tool like this to quickly remove them.

Hold the tool upside down from how it appears, then pull your line down through the slot until the bait/hook catches the loop then a quick pop with both hands releases the bait. Essentially it holds your hook upside down.
I swear I thought that was a tampon before I read that post.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:58 AM   #19
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggiannig89 View Post
Where does everybody buy there sabikis? What brands? Or do you guys make your own? Arw they worth the time to make your own? Lets hear some sabiki info and suggestions
If you manage them well you can keep one for a long time. Problem is that all those hooks get stuck on rigging and stuff on the kayaks and have to be cut free at times. However, a well kept Sabikis should last a season or two. Last time at BPS they were selling them for .50 each so I bought 6 of them. I think I'm set for a while.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #20
Fishwhisperer619

Good advice on the sabiki rigs. Ive seen sabiki rods out there but i wanna try and utilize what I already have if possible. What do you suggest I use? A light rod with a lil spinning reel?
Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote