Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2008, 12:53 PM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Splash Jacket Recommendation

Now that winter is with us, (sort of), I am thinking that I need to pick up a new splash jacket. The one that I had before was a cheap import that started to fall apart after a few days on the water. I cannot handle the cost of the top-of-the-line Gore-tex models but I suspect that there are some decent breathable paddle jackets out there that can be purchased at a reasonable price. Anyone have any suggestions?

I would even consider a high quality used one that was in decent shape. I wear a large. If you have something that you think I might be interested in, please PM me.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
T Bone

Bob I have a Kokatat spash jacket that is supposed to be an XL but feels more like a large.I am 6' and 225# and once its on it works great but its a little tight getting in it.It also has those latex gaskets which can be a total PITA and unless you wanted to constantly be in the water are totally unnecessary so I cut them back to a more reasonable diameter besides it has overcuffs which velro and a neoprene neck which velcros too and has the double waist thing (Name escapes me).I would be willing to let it go very reasonably assuming I can find a replacement because I like the jacket its just a little too small and its tough to try to undoo the wader buckles to take a wizz.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Second chance sports on West Point Loma has
some nice breathable (not gortex) spash jackets
for about $35, bright yellow too.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Second Chance Splash Jacket

I had one of those. The waterproof coating flaked away after several days use. When I tried to wash the thing to get some blood off, it fell apart. Good price, poor quality.

Bob
Old 12-27-2008, 05:47 PM   #5
Dan

I know there are some really good splash jackets out there, but you might consider a waterproof shell (aka windbreaker). One advantage I've found is that they layer really well, usually have tons of venting options, pockets and compress really well. Also, high end brands like Mountain Hardware and Patagonia will replace any faulty item -- no questions asked.

This coupled with waders and a layer underneath is a solid way to go.

Last edited by Dan; 12-27-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:47 PM   #6
ZUMAN

I just got this for Christmas................

GORE-TEX® Paddling Jacket

The featherweight jacket with sealed seams, adjustable splash cuffs and collar and neoprene waistband complete this GORE-TEX® version of our classic paddling jacket. The zippered sleeve pocket with reflective piping is self-draining and accessible while wearing your life vest. Adjustable coated Lycra® collar and Smoothskin neoprene waistband keeps splash out. (XXL-SALMON & MOSS ONLY)

• Adjustable, gusseted coated Lycra® splash collar, splash cuffs
  • Smoothskin neoprene waistband with adjustable bungee drawcord
  • Competition cut
  • Zippered, self-draining left sleeve pocket with key lanyard and reflective piping
  • Factory sealed seams
And matched up with these.................

TROPOS Swift Dry Pant

The same features as the Deluxe Boater Pant with latex ankle gaskets to provide an added level of protection when wading into waist deep water.

• TROPOS waterproof, breathable fabric
  • Latex ankle gaskets with protective neoprene over-cuffs
  • Smoothskin, high-back neoprene waistband
  • Adjustable bungee drawcord
  • Self draining thigh pocket with “hook & loop” closure and key lanyard
  • Factory sealed seams
And also got this as my base layer.................

Mysterioso M-Tech Lite Long-Sleeve Top

Happy with everything.
My only complaint would be the leg gaskets on the pants are really tight.Hopefully will stretch out with time.
Nice staying dry on these cold winter mornings
ZUMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:56 PM   #7
T Bone

I now realize I have a dry top and not a splash top.Its the gaskets.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:31 AM   #8
landwhale

I've had my Extrasports for 3 years The seal at the wrists and neck are comfortable and keep the water out check them out.

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:52 PM   #9
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
I had one of those. The waterproof coating flaked away after several days use. When I tried to wash the thing to get some blood off, it fell apart. Good price, poor quality.

Bob
2 years, and I still have not washed mine.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #10
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Found a good one

Problem solved. I went to the REI used gear sale on Saturday and picked up a lightweight, waterproof Sierra Designs shell for $19. This thing will be perfect for layering. It has sealed seams, velcro and elastic cuffs, a hood and a velcro zipper cover.

This jacket may not be as cool as the $200 gore-tex ones but may be more practical. Besides, now I have some money left over to buy a 2009 fishing license. What are they up to now? $50?

Bob
Old 01-04-2009, 09:39 AM   #11
ship 4 brains

what do you put on your feet when you are wearing the dry pants?
ship 4 brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #12
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Dry Pants

I have some gore-tex waders with neoprene feet. I bought an oversized pair of Keen water shoes that I wear over the rubber feet. It works great, especially if you have to walk a bit after getting geared up.

Bob
Old 01-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #13
dogzbestfrnd
Junior

Quote:
Problem solved. I went to the REI used gear sale on Saturday and picked up a lightweight, waterproof Sierra Designs shell for $19. This thing will be perfect for layering. It has sealed seams, velcro and elastic cuffs, a hood and a velcro zipper cover.

This jacket may not be as cool as the $200 gore-tex ones but may be more practical. Besides, now I have some money left over to buy a 2009 fishing license. What are they up to now? $50?

Bob
Including the Ocean Enhancement tag... $45.95... yikes!
-Ron
dogzbestfrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:11 PM   #14
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Fishing License cost per pound

Last year, I kept a total of two fish, both small yellowtail. (I release almost everything). Assuming these fish were ten pounds each, with about 3 pounds of usable meat, I figure that my fishing license cost me about $7 a pound.

Of course, if you want to really calculate the cost of my fish, you would have to add in the new kayak, rods, reels, line, lures, and a host of other expenses. With those costs in mind, my several dinners cost me over $300 a pound, not including wine.

On the other hand, the satisfaction that this hobbie provides me is, as the commercial says... priceless.

Bob
Old 01-05-2009, 01:09 PM   #15
Ed
Fringe Head

Quote:
Last year, I kept a total of two fish, both small yellowtail. (I release almost everything). Assuming these fish were ten pounds each, with about 3 pounds of usable meat, I figure that my fishing license cost me about $7 a pound.

Of course, if you want to really calculate the cost of my fish, you would have to add in the new kayak, rods, reels, line, lures, and a host of other expenses. With those costs in mind, my several dinners cost me over $300 a pound, not including wine.

On the other hand, the satisfaction that this hobbie provides me is, as the commercial says... priceless.

Bob
You have to calculate the pounds of fish released also. You had the option to harvest, but declined. These pounds have low cost and high value................
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #16
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Should I include the weight of the seals?
Old 01-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #17
dorado50

Welcome to the world of fishing! $ 300.00 a pound is cheap compared to someothers expenses.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #18
Jimm H

Boater's World

Waterproof, Breathable Jackets in Dark Blue for $40. My fist one held up to backpacking, camping, long range boating, and kayaking to the tune of about 200 "wearings" before I bought a new one (and, before it wore out, by the way). Was still fully waterproof when I bought a new one. Zip up front with zipper flap, taped, ovelapped seams, hooded and lightweight.