Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-15-2010, 09:33 PM   #1
DONIGAN
Junior

Send a message via MSN to DONIGAN
Great White in LJ

Hey boys... This is my 8th year LJ kayak fishing and today was a first. Took a good friend of mine out, his second or third kayak fishing trip - and my first Sunday trip in a little while. Around 9am this morning we were in 95 ft off La Valencia and another yaker (about 70 yards away) in a brown hobie started screaming, and LOUD. He freaked out, yelling shark. When we looked over he was hauling ass for us, still freaking out. When he gets to us he is white faced, out of breath and still freaking out. After a few minutes he tells us how a GW followed his bait to his yak then turns bumping the front of his yak. As HE describes it, the shark dwarfed his yak and as mentioned surfaced to check him out. To be honest, I was pretty skeptical blowing it off as perhaps a large Mako or Thresher working the area - we all know how big they look by our Kayak... Anyhow, when we landed a few hours later I told the lifeguards about the ordeal as an FYI - still skeptical. Watching the news tonight ( http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/ksw...,4728057.story) and they aired they film some guy took of a shark near SO and also talked about a FEW sightings of GW in La Jolla and Scripps Pier. FYI guys, I was there and I am having a hard time not believing this guy - what he described to us (size, attitude, agression etc) if accurate, was a GW. Be careful -
RD
DONIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
deepdvr

Its no wonder I haven't had a mac stolen by a dog in awhile.

As long as they don't like eating chubby half-asians......they can stay as long as they want.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
Billy V

I have no doubt the guy had a GW encounter.

Prepare yourself just incase that apex predator pays you a visit.
Try not to panic - stay as calm as you can - so as Not to draw a strike.

They don't want to eat you - they want the seals or your large fish.
---------------------------------------
I'm heading out Wednesday.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:25 AM   #4
Nic D

I thought I read it here... but if you see the shark, good chances your not lunch. GWS are ambushers. Most of the time their pray doesn't see them until its too late. Its the ones you don't see you need to worry about.
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:49 AM   #5
j mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepdvr View Post
As long as they don't like eating chubby half-asians......they can stay as long as they want.
lol!
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:53 AM   #6
bigbarrels

There are GWS in the Pacific and so this is definitely believable Had a huge one last summer about 20 yards away near the condo while dangling some fish on a game clip.......no love tap to the kayak......maybe it spotted my hair and the potential for a hairball
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:00 AM   #7
wade

http://www.cbs8.com/global/story.asp?s=12985781

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:04 AM   #8
danny
Danny

GWS

That is great news, we all want less seals right ? they will leave when we run out of dogs.
danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
hook1fred

I'll be the first to admit all this GWS talk is spooking me abit. I always knew they were there but I don't like hearing about one bumping my yak..... I'll be out next weekend.......
hook1fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:52 AM   #10
-scallywag-
Banned

I too met the white faced shark whisperer yesterday...kinda felt bad for the guy cause he looked like he was gonna have a heart attack as he was peddling full speed to the canyon edge, top water lure style....at least the green water and giant schools of GWS's havn't affected the fishing.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:55 AM   #11
civic fisher
Junior

Wasn't the first reported great white attack in america in La Jolla Cove?I think the tax man has showed up to support us on getting rid of the seals.The seals have the super seal enviro's on their side,I think the tax man has come to see what all the commotion is about.There's gonna be a new attraction around La Jolla."Hey do you want to go down to La Jolla to watch the great whites?"or"to watch the GW's make a bloody mess out of some seals?"Then the enviros can start protecting the white sharks that won't leave La Jolla that will start to kill all the seals.Would'nt that be ironic
civic fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:16 AM   #12
DONIGAN
Junior

I have often wondered why it has taken so long for Mr White to show up and feed on some fur bags. I dont see to many seals basking right now - I can only hope a few knot-heads have gone down...
Old 08-16-2010, 09:30 AM   #13
-scallywag-
Banned

the dogs are just feeding at night on the fine local cuisine....saw hundreds of'um this weekend......they are so fat by grey light they won't even try for your fish .
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #14
FISHIONADO

I hooked a thresher, then a bat ray, then something extremely strong and violent that broke the leader, then this shark this morning. There be monsters down there...

FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:37 AM   #15
Iceman
Administrator

Stand by for one of the distance swimmers to become victim.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:39 AM   #16
cajunman

Fished Friday down south at the TJ flats. Metered 58 degree water and some spots of 57 coming back to the Whistler. No wonder the GW's are here, its Winter in August

cajunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:44 AM   #17
lterrero
Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
I have no doubt the guy had a GW encounter.

Prepare yourself just incase that apex predator pays you a visit.
Try not to panic - stay as calm as you can - so as Not to draw a strike.

They don't want to eat you - they want the seals or your large fish.
---------------------------------------
I'm heading out Wednesday.
Who's not going to "Panic" with a 10ft GW next to your kayak; I don't think so Billy.
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:27 AM   #18
DONIGAN
Junior

On the way back in Andy there were 2 swimmers at the yellow reserve buoy. I felt it to be the neighborly thing to do was warn him and offer him a ride on the back of the yak. He graciously declined the offer. I don't want to be swimming around in a seal outfit about now - no thanks.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #19
Jimm H

They've been there for some time

Last GWS attack in San Diego was a rental kayak 20 some years ago by Scripps Pier. (not an ocean swimmer). Scripps used to chum for sharks to come in to study before that one occurred.

And, Tom Booth and I saw one in late Jan 2004 north of the pier in 60 feet of water just south of Torry Pines Reef one. A lobster boat had one go under his boat earlier in the week tht he estimated at 20+ ft.

All we saw was the tell-tale dorsal. Based on the 1ft plus that stuck out of the water with no other visible parts (back, etc.), would guess that shark was 18' plus. It sank out as it swam toward us.

Fun times, good memories.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #20
KirkG.

Lol,
Quote:
He freaked out, yelling shark. When we looked over he was hauling ass for us, still freaking out.
Wonder if he was trying the old dump and run that you use for seals that keep stealing your bait/catch.

KirkG.
KirkG. is offline   Reply With Quote