Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-16-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
Matt
Support your local pangas

Holy shit a calico bait question!!!

Ok so I got some slugs from a buddy at western plastics and I have seen how Cory at MC rigs his and I can't wait to try em...but my one question is where the hell do I get the springs to screw into the slugs? And if it is at home depot what department are they in and what should I ask for? any help will be appreciated!!
Old 11-16-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
ctrujillo

just picked some 8'inch slugs today.ive never rigged them up before.the guys over at the long fin tackle hooked me up with the owner beast hooks in a 10/0 size.these hooks have the spring already attached to them.i am eager to get out to kelp and try them out
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
CalicoCody

When I looked at the slugs at the MC Swimbaits booth at the Fred Hall Show they came pre-made with the springs already in them. As far as I know the springs don't serve a purpose other than to keep the lure from sliding around on the hook. This problem can be solved quite easily with an application of cyanoacrylate (AKA: Superglue ). Yeah, it's a little more permanent than having the springs which in theory should allow you to remove the hook and switch slugs easily, but the remedy for that is have a few different colors pre-rigged and also carry a tube of superglue in your tackle box. The springs aren't worth bothering with IMHO. If you wanted to try them though you could look at a teacher supply store or something.

Good luck with whatever you choose to try. Go get em!

Cody
CalicoCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
Matt
Support your local pangas

Thanks fellas!
Old 11-16-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
forefrazier

Matt...Owner makes some great hooks that are pre-rigged for this purpose. Spring loaded with a worm type offset..perfect for the sluggo's. Check them out at your local tackle shop..............sf
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:38 PM   #6
fishinkid2010

As I understand it, the spring through the nose of the slug is meant to help extend the life of the bait. It will keep the hook from being ripped through the nose of the bait after only a few fish. As for where to get the springs... it may sound cheesy, but I have take the springs out of some old used up ball point pens. Cut the ends with wire dikes, stretch them out, and you have a spring. (Not necessarily the thickest gauge wire, but when I have done it, I saw no difference)
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
kobra

Hey Matt, I got my springs from Home Cheapot but don't remember what department. It was a while ago but they should still sell them. If I remember correctly, they come in different lengths. You can cut a longer spring into about 1/2 inch lengths. And fishinkid is right, they are to keep the bait from getting tore up and also to keep the hook in position.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote