Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2009, 08:08 AM   #1
Matt
Support your local pangas

Sunday was a good day......late, late, late, report

Sorry for the late report, I've been a little busy lately.........Got the call from R on sunday night to go bounce ball for some halibut sunday morning, so the plan was to head on out and yo yo for possible yellowtail early and then head on over to the flats and bounce ball. Arrived at the launch around 5:30 a.m. and got ready, got the call that R was running a little late due to a long night out. Launched at around 6:30 or so paddled on out with an extremely hung over and very pukey looking R, I figured the day was going to be a good one as R was making the sacrificial offering to the god's for us all! I figure it is alot like surfing, in the respect that the one way to gurantee good waves is for one of your crew to just get trashed the night before to the point of damn near death...and waalaa you have double overhead hollow waves...in this case we have iron yellow homeguards. As we paddled on out I ran into my brother-in-law and stopped to chat whilst he was busy playing with something on the other end of his line. Decided to stick around and drop the only iron I really ever use, the almighty Tady 4/O blue and white with a yellow mack trim pattern, I like this iron ALOT!. It is a slightly larger size than a salas 6x jr. and just a tad smaller then the 7xJr., this iron in particular has a great swimming motion to it and tends to routinely produce quality fish for me. After about a half hour of yo-yoing I feel a bump on the drop, i put it in gear por nada, I quickly put the reel in free spool again and quickly feel that THUMP, put the reel back in gear and WHAM I am ON!!!! Fish doesn't really take off but just goes deep and stays there he is taking line but it really is more of a standoff. I button down the drag and begin the pump action gaining a little line little by little, after about 5 minutes I get him to 60', then 50' then 100' again. Finally really put the screws to him, knowing that I have fairly new 40lb P-line and a super solid setup of a trinidad 20 mounted on a 700H calstar grafighter. Get him up and the gaff finds it's home, rip a gill and put the old boy down the hatch.

Continued to yo-yo the same area for another 2 hours for a few marks but not too much else going on. Finally decided to get a pic with the bro-in-law, so I throw the rod in a rod holder a crank or two off the bottom just letting the iron hang suspended via deadstick. I pull out my fish and get my camera ready to hand to T-Man, I bump his boat and then my bro-in-law bumps my boat and we all hear the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz of the clicker going with the rod in gear and see the rod super bendo! I quickly throw the camera in my pocket and set to go grab the rod out of the rodholder and quickly come to the realization that this is definitely a good grade of fish. Button down the drag and shut off the clicker and the fight begins in earnest! For the first 5 minutes of the fight I did not gain a single inch of line, just force the fish to pull me on an overtightened drag, I can feel the tail thumps and headshakes, it feels yellow, but damn it is not budging an inch off the bottom, black sea bass? Shark? Can't be? Finally start to gain some line back and another long period of time goes by get him up to 40' and back down to the bottom he goes, get him up to 30' and now I am starting to get near the kelp as Josh points out. Screw it, time to put the hammer down, quick pumps and thumb the spool, everything your not supposed to do . See a huge amount of bubbles and a giant tail!!! Oh it's a goodun fo' sho'! The first time I see the head of the YT I realize hes alot bigger than my first. Get him up to the boat and sink the gaff under the head and this big ol' boy is doing his best to screw up my flow and shake loose, quickly put him on board and get a choke hold on his "throat" and rip a gill, I look down at the tail still hanging off the boat and quickly realize I have a new personal best!!! So happy and so stoked, super skinny and long fish, if his belly had been full I have a sneaky suspicion he could have been a bit heftier, either way totally stoked to have a 2 fish day!!! 70 pounds of fish is never a bad day by any means!! Thanks to all for the congrats on the water and off!!! GO GET YOURS and buy a Tady 4/0!!!!! First fish went 29.15lbs after being bled, and the second went 39.9lbs on the OEX scale after being bled, submitted to WCW '08, just figured I would put the story up for those of you who care to read my babble!

thanks for reading Matt F.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
wavster

Nice babble and GREAT FISH!!

WTG, Matt!
Old 02-27-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

Do you use a lil key chain spy cam for those cute lil pix............nice fishesssssssss
Old 02-27-2009, 08:33 AM   #4
buttchaser
Float Tuber

Awesome , That's a great day of fishing !Sorry I Didn't Run into you to you But I did hear of your catches . WTG Matt. Good Fishin
buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
bellcon

Thats some great babble Matt
thanks for sharing your adventure
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:12 AM   #6
Kiyo

Way to go Matt! Just bought some of those Tady 4/0's, hopefully will get some with them.
Congrats on the yellows!
Old 02-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #7
dorado50

Nice Matt and a big thanks for getting everything started!!!!!
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
B Slate

Nice double Matt
oh yeah great report too
B Slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:08 PM   #9
mwm

Great Fish Matt. Glad the photos came out! Mike
mwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
esdees
The Good Clone

Thanks a lot Matt, now LJ is going to be all crowded!

Just kidding man
Nice fish!
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:50 PM   #11
ratdog

So your the one who started all this!
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:07 PM   #12
MalibuJohnny

Babble

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavster View Post
Nice babble and GREAT FISH!!

WTG, Matt!
I don't know about you guys...but I heard Elmo's voice while read this
Old 02-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #13
DESTROYER

Nice Fish Matt! Thanks for the call.

My fish was bigger

Moy Moy
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #14
yakrider

very nice!!!
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:25 PM   #15
Dennis

Quality Matty!
Old 02-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #16
Rusty

Sacrifices

Sometimes someone just has to take one for the team. "R" must be a pretty good guy who had a really bad day. Nice fish by the way.

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #17
THE DARKHORSE

Congrats on the personal best!

I was watching in horror as your fish pulled you from deep water to the kelp, then it got scarier as my fish followed your trail. After seeing you gaff that beast I started to take my fish that had no problem holding the bottom a little more seriously. I was dragged right to the kelp edge too, and spent the next ten minutes just pedaling away from the kelp, kinda walking the dog, without even trying to pump my fish to the surface. My fish was big, but when I saw the body of your fish in the distance I thought it might be a fiddy...then Rick reminded us what those look like .
Old 02-28-2009, 08:49 PM   #18
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
...then Rick reminded us what those look like .
Oh yah....I can attest to the fact that Matt did get zinged...right after I reeled in my jig to grab his camera. I almost was relinquished to photo beyotch status.

I like how Matt gets rid of any competition...he makes sure they go out the night before and get ripped...

Try that with me some time big boy...

And what the fook is with this pic????

Looks like you've been watching too many Jack Nicholson flicks....

Nice write up Matt, nice feeeeeeeeshes. What a fun early week session, definitely alot of comraderie on the pond.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher

Last edited by Tman; 02-28-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:19 PM   #19
FishSeeker

great job nice fat yellowssssssssssssss