Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2015, 07:49 AM   #1
Dennis

Kraken

Anyone else fish the open ocean off of a Jackson Kayak Kraken? Kauaiboy04 gave me some great info. Just looking for more feedback.
Thanks, Dennis
Old 03-08-2015, 08:48 AM   #2
MrPatrick

There's some guy named Jim that fishes one.

Search Jim Sammons kayak fishing show. He helped develop that kayak. Clips on YouTube and such.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:36 AM   #3
Dennis

Wink

Thanks.. I know Jim. Just looking for "other" feedback.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:41 AM   #4
T-Rex

I took a close look at one at the Fred Hall show yesterday. I was impressed. 30" wide, streamlined, good rocker, nice bait tank set up, adjustable seat, gear tracks and rod holders all over the place. Looking forward to paddling one at the next OEX demo day.

Last edited by T-Rex; 03-08-2015 at 11:47 AM.
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #5
HBOUND808

The kraken kayak has an very well laid out platform and does well in open waters. I would put it up there with a trident 15.
HBOUND808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:15 PM   #6
Aznronin

Trident 15 is way lighter in terms of weight. Is an inch shorter in width which makes for a faster paddle and has over 500 lbs capacity. The trident was also almost half the price. In my opinion the newer kayaks although having more comforts come at the price of having way to much weight and price is to high.
Aznronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:01 PM   #7
bubblehide

It's a kayak that had a very experienced kayak fisherman involved in the design. As such, it has some really nice features. IMNSHO, the beam (the width) is about ideal for a fishing kayak. I'd have to actually paddle one to know, but my first impression is that I'd like the forward keel a little deeper and longer. The rear appears pretty much just right. So what does this mean in layman's terms. it has to do with how well the boat tracks, how well it paddles into the wind, and how it overall handles choppy conditions. A shallower rear keel (actually a skeg), allows the boat to turn faster (the front does the opposite, to a degree); so a balance is needed. If you have a deep rear keel, the boat will track exceptionally well, but it wont turn for $#@&. Now what I'm talking about is actually very minor adjustment in the hull, that most would not notice.

I'm not sure if the boat comes with a grudgeon, but I would hope so, so you could add a rudder, primarily for windy conditions, as the hull looks like a very nice design, and will handle most conditions well without a rudder.

Does it have inside rod storage, it looks like it should, but I have yet to see one in person, and up close.

I like the built in bait tank pump, I actually cut a hole in my kayak to put one in. The only issue I see with this, is the placement could be problematic as it will clog with kelp and such. I positioned my just in-front of me, to my left side, so I can reach down and clean it when necessary. If you could throw in a reverse switch, it would solve this problem. But honestly, I don't even know (off the top of my head) if these pumps can do that.

Now those are about all I could possibly complain about, and to do so, I'm being exceptionally picky. The fact is that the Kraken looks like a solid fishing machine, well designed, and almost ready to fish, with a lot of very nice features, just add a fishfinder/gps, and hook up the bait tank pump, and your ready to go.

IMNSHO, Hobie has a hit with the pedal drive, but they severely lack in hull design on their fishing kayaks. They could and should take note here with the Kraken. But then a pedal drive is not well suited for every situation, but much better suited for others; calm open water comes to mind here.

Personally, if I were looking for a production kayak, I'd be looking at the Kraken.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:03 PM   #8
bubblehide

Now how did I forget, the adjustable seat, man I can see using that as my load changes with added weight of fish. It's a sweet feature.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:43 PM   #9
easyday

have you checked out the thresher?
Old 03-09-2015, 05:53 AM   #10
bwana

The Kracken is pre plumbed for a rudder. Jim was explaining the benefits of their rudder design over others, but as I haven't used one my mind was wandering while he was talking thinking how troll lines could get hung up back there.

It would be interesting seeing the Kracken and Thresher side by side.
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:57 AM   #11
kauaiboy04

I think OEX Mission Bay is having a demo day on the 14th. Definitely recommend checking them out in person. The Thresher and the Kraken are two really great paddling kayaks made for fishing.

Biggest differences would be the price point, packaged items, and seat.

For the price point, because the Kraken comes with much more "stuff" (Kkrate, scupper for bait pump, scupper for transducer, RAM rocket launchers, tackle boxes...) it costs more out of the box than the Thresher. One thing I absolutely love is the new tackle retention system. Essentially its gear tracks that can lock down the KKrate and tacklebox to the kayak, so IF you roll, you'll know your stuff won't be leaving the yak.

Having the adjustable retention seat is pretty sweet too. When launching and landing, being able to move your seat further back allows the yakker to punch over surf, and while landing I feel less to nose dive. Especially when added weight from "fish cargo", its a definite plus.

Why is it anytime someone mentions a Jackson Kayak, inevitably someone else mentions a Wildy?

http://socalkayak.blogspot.com
kauaiboy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:50 AM   #12
TheBentRod

Kraken

I forgot about clogs in the pump. Based on the position of the pump if your seat is far back it is difficult to get to. However, it should be easy to remove the housing and pull the offending material out of the pump. When you get the hang of it, taking apart the pump is not difficult. I will check it out on Demo day.
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:56 AM   #13
kauaiboy04

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBentRod View Post
I forgot about clogs in the pump. Based on the position of the pump if your seat is far back it is difficult to get to. However, it should be easy to remove the housing and pull the offending material out of the pump. When you get the hang of it, taking apart the pump is not difficult. I will check it out on Demo day.
I've never had an issue with the bait pump for the kraken. There is literally a recessed scupper for a bait pump, and the only part exposed to the water is the bottom of the pump.

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...ick-disconnect

http://socalkayak.blogspot.com
kauaiboy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:29 PM   #14
Aznronin

Bentrod. Just remember on your test paddle to make sure you pick it up off the ground. Put it on top of your car rack. Then take it off your car. Carry it or roll it to the launch and then test paddle the yaks so you het the reality of how owning one would be.
Aznronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:42 PM   #15
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

Kraken 110 lbs with included accessories
Thresher is 80 lbs
And the ocean kayak ultra is 77lbs

110 is a heavy kayak to pull over sand

Last edited by yak-fishing-socal; 03-09-2015 at 01:30 PM. Reason: more info
yak-fishing-socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:08 PM   #16
Dennis

Thanks for the info gents. FYI, no demo day at San Diego location, just Sunset. I just called OEX (MB) and they have a Kraken available for test paddle.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #17
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by yak-fishing-socal View Post

Thresher is 80 lbs
And the ocean kayak ultra is 77lbs

110 is a heavy kayak to pull over sand
WHEEL-EZE will work well even for the Pa 12 and PA 14's and they are heavier than the kraken

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:41 PM   #18
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

Kraken Test Drive

A few months ago OEX had Jim out at there place in Mission Bay, I was able to test drive the Kraken at that point. I played offensive line in college and being a big guy it has always been a problem to find a kayak that will float me and my gear without loosing maneuverability. The Kraken is big enough to float me and my gear, and it paddles like a dream. Granted I am used to paddling an OK Prowler Big Game, but I would give the Kraken 2 thumbs up, it may be my next boat.
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:28 PM   #19
Dennis

110 lbs seems like a lot. I'm interested in where you found that info. Thanks
Old 03-09-2015, 03:37 PM   #20
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
tank, box, seat etc.

I love the bow shape, nice mix of lift and slice, performs very well in open water chop and swell. I consider it in the same arena as the Trident 15 or the Thresher 155. In all honesty the 3 I mention are all too big for what i am looking for in my kayak, but would highly recommend trying one. Very smart design.