Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #1
Dennis

Seat padding

Harmony techlift, or Surf to summit Hot seat reviews? Anyone use either in conjunction with a high back seat.. I've used the inflatable C.O.D. one, but there's a small puncture in it now. And instead of having to use a regular foam pad or buying another seat I'd like to try one of these. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
Rabac3898
Junior

http://www.yakpads.com/20-paddle-sad...-backrest.html

I use it between my Hobie and Trident 13. It has cord that keeps in place and easily attaches to different yak seats.
Rabac3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
jruiz
Large Member

I've tried a couple of gel seats and pads and I always keep coming back to some sort of open cell foam pad
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Anyone used the inflatable cushions?

I've got a foam seat pad that straps to my yak seat for an added 1" of comfort but my ass still hurts a bit after 5 or 6 hours on the water.

What's the best seat padding.. gel, air, foam? Looking to try something else.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
YakMedic

Hot seat all the way, I took off the tech lift seat from my wifes Tarpon and put a Hot seat "Grande" in its place. The two aren't event comparable, the Tech Lift wore out in a couple years and had minimal padding while the Hot Seat looks nearly brand new in the same time frame.

The pad works great for her kayak, since it's the older style tarpon without a seat base. I'm not sure how well it would work under a traditional kayak seat though.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
chxh8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabac3898 View Post
http://www.yakpads.com/20-paddle-sad...-backrest.html

I use it between my Hobie and Trident 13. It has cord that keeps in place and easily attaches to different yak seats.
I have a yakpad as well. Use it on my COD Apex 1 seat.

The reason I bought it was because I was diagnosed with high hamstring tendinopathy, and sitting on just my kayak seat for 6 hours at a time waiting for the WSB bite to turn on would lead to excruciating pain.

However, before I got to use it, I also had a platelet-rich plasma injection in my hamstring, as well as a ton of physical therapy which seem to have helped the problem.

So I can't say for sure that the yakpad is the only reason I can stay out there for hours on end now... but I'm sure it helps. It's pretty comfortable, and can easily be attached to any seat.

I do get hamstring pain from time to time still, but not from sitting in my kayak anymore.
chxh8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #7
Cbad Mike

I have the poor mans pad.... I cut a foam kickboard (the kind people use in pools) in half and put it under my seat. It gives me extra cushion while picking my butt up 2 inches so I'm never sitting in a puddle.

:
Old 08-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
GregAndrew

My experience with pads is that what works great for somebody else may not work for you at all. Upon recommendations, I tried Air, Gel and various Foam pads. I ended up with a piece of camping pad that works best for me. Just remember that the thicker the pad, the more you raise your center of gravity (make yourself less stable).
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
619-SWIM-DOG

I use a garden pad under my seat. It seems to work well and is a low cost compared to other options.
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #10
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

My kayak seat hurt after 3 or 4 hours. I bought a 1" thick foam camping seat pad at Big5 for $10 and put it under my seat, no help at all. The seat padding is just too hard or my butt is padded in the wrong places.

I put the pad on top of the seat and now I get 5 to 6 hours before it starts hurting. I need something better to get 7 or 8 hours out of it. I suppose I could double up on the camping pad.

Was hoping others had better reports about air or gel before I spent money on something else.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

i've used several types of inflatable seat pads, often stay out on water for 10+ hours per outing, and am very happy with their "padding" & comfort. BUT for me, they always eventually get holes/leaks.

but i still can't do without them.

my current inflatable cushion is a Crack of Dawn brand, which i bought at FastLane in Misn Bay a few years ago. but now has a slow leak, and has to be re-inflated every few hours.

time to buy another one soon.
still researching which brand/type i plan to buy next.
i've never tried gel filled. i might try that next.

Kayak Fishing is a DRUG.... and I'm addicted !!
Hobie-Pedaller is offline   Reply With Quote