Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-26-2009, 04:58 AM   #1
Matt
Support your local pangas

Quick Tuesday report LJ and the wrong kind of flatness

Well headed out with D50 on a quest for yellows that never really showed, found the bait outside the pier in roughly 40-60' fairly easy greenies and dines. Headed on over to the magic spot to fly line around and see what we could maybe make happen, tide was swinging right, bait was in the right place......just no yellows!

After spending the first part of the morning looking for yellows with no love, decided to head on over to one of the better halibut spots as of late! Made the paddle on over with the mantra given to me many years ago from a former yak fisherman turned private boater "trap rig in gear!" probably some of the more sound halibut advice I have ever been given! With the mantra going through my head and a new style rig handed down by Mr. Most Halibuts of the Year John of Baytubers, I was feeling fairly confident about nailing one. Made my way to the "spot" and threw down a great sized dine that just seemed perfect for Mr. But. About 30 minutes later the phone rang with a call from work needing some attention, I told them to hang on and I would roll in when I can, as soon as I hung up the phone BENDO! Limp fight at first, then headshakes, then a few quick runs to the bottom.....feeling very, very, very flat!!! Get the gaff at the ready got my game clip with the short rope on deck, all my lines are up except the one with the fish, thinking to myself this is gonna be great!!! Almost to color and the fish is pulling now, feeling good shakes and getting that easier pull up and then bursts of power down....getting to color 40' then 30' then 20' then COLOR.....Largest shovel nose shark I have ever seen in person, a little bummed but easily got the hooks out and let him go to torment someone else into thinking he is a halibut. Wrong kind of flatness but at least it was some practice in getting ready for a halibut!! Still a nice day of fishing amongst friends!!
Old 08-26-2009, 06:51 AM   #2
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

from needles to shovels, that was quick!
Old 08-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #3
bender0240

I like to call them sharks. It sounds more kick ass
bender0240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:25 PM   #4
bigbarrels

I paddled by in a tandem and wished I would have seen you hooked up maybe next time the YT will show up
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:01 AM   #5
nunyabizness1
Maggie

Nice effort Matt! Better luck next time...
nunyabizness1 is offline   Reply With Quote