Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 12-01-2008, 05:17 AM   #1
Matt
Support your local pangas

Dana Pt./Doheny sunday, sunday, sunday...

Well headed on up to Dana with Josh looking for big halibut. We had been told of a recent 48 lb halibut landed within the last week and another of equal size lost at boatside due to a broken rod.

Well we headed on up and launched at baby's beach and quickly made the journey to the bait barge to find it closed. So off we headed to the outside to spend quite a long time making bait, before we finally headed over to Capo and the rivermouth area. Ran into Yani and his crew who were on the way in having only caught a calico and some possible lost halibut on the bottom. They gave us the bait they had from when the bait barge was open (?) Yani explained that the dudes at the barge often bail to take lunches and dork around, oh well. Now that we had a ton of bait, we quickly found a guitar shark and frayed lines from other sharks and some cuda on the inside of the harbor....no halibut to speak of short or large or of any kind at all. Still a nice day on the water in an area I haven't fished alot, probably should have stayed in LJ but ya never know until you try!

On a side note my buddy John on his first or second trip out to Lj nailed a really large thresher shark and was super stoked, dude got his kayak 2 days ago fresh from a move out from alabama and nailed a T almost as big as his boat nice job my man!!! A little bigger than a freshwater bass huh?
Old 12-01-2008, 06:19 AM   #2
steveooo

Thanks Matt. I think that we need some real winter weather to get the Hali bite started. I went out on sat for a few hours. Great bait, beautiful conditions, no fish. Drifted the river mouth area from 7 to 30 feet for nada but a small shark and a chunky calico. Headed out to the kelp for beautiful conditions, but no fish. Off the water by ten. Hearing you say that a barn door was landed recently does give me a little motivation to get out again though....
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:01 AM   #3
FISHIONADO

I had a ~20lb hali on the line Saturday at La Jolla, I wasn't paying attention and had the drag tightened when I was getting ready to gaff, then a couple big flops and I was at the heartbreak hotel.

I haven't fished Dana Point since that contest in the rain/ hail/lightning storm.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
THE DARKHORSE

Barndoor fever......

Matt, it sure was fun hunting the flat white meat with you, but don't tell anyone I spent three hours trying to catch bait (with only one smelt to show) . Sure, plenty of giant Greenbacks, 11" Smelt, Croakers, and schools of tiny Anchovies that had no interest in the sabiki, but few and far between mini-macks and Sardines. You kicked my a$$ on making bait, but my shark could have eaten your cuda ...I'm sticking to La Jolla .

That being said, it's awesome that fellow kayak angler stuffed our tank with lively Sardines (Yani and co.).....we had a shot, and what else can you ask for?
Old 12-01-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
MalibuJohnny

I am headed out to Silver Strand Beach for 3 days...anyone have the inside scoop?
Old 12-01-2008, 10:03 PM   #6
JOHN K
Junior

THANKS MATT

I appreciate the props on my first Thresher buddy, it was an serious rush and an awesome fish - what a sight swimming around right next to the boat. And thanks again to Todd (A.K.A INGRIDSDAD) for changing my course and putting me on a b-line for "the corner" instead of the kelp.

After waiting all morning for the fog to burn off (and having a dank carne asada breakfast burrito at the kitchen) I didn't have to wait long for bait and a wild ride from a 10ft TS. After making bait on the first drop my second drift along the edge of the reserve was all it took. Then it was all about keeping pressure on the fish and my ass in the boat.

I think I am going to like SoCal and Kayak fishing more than AL. Looks like I will be headed down from Newport to SD again this weekend so I will keep an eye on the reports.
JOHN K is offline   Reply With Quote