Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 02-25-2016, 10:01 AM   #21
Darrell
Junior

Wow! Good thing it didnt swim back down before you realized what you had. Enjoy the good eats. Great catch
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:32 AM   #22
Dennis

Nice fish!
Old 02-25-2016, 10:43 AM   #23
acorad

Best catching story of the year!

Andy
acorad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:44 PM   #24
the dude

That's a stout WSB. She does look a little like a black though with the darker coloring. Maybe her great-grandfather was a black? =)
Old 02-25-2016, 12:46 PM   #25
FullFlavorPike

Dude, your boat looks like it's nothing but an empty hull!

Nice fat fish!
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:14 PM   #26
spicolly

YUM! Nice catch!
spicolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:56 PM   #27
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishphood View Post

The big girl had an empty stomach and 1kg of eggs in her cavity.

You eat those eggs? I want to get my hands on some cbass roe so that I can try to fake up some botarga for my pasta. Yum.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:48 PM   #28
GeauxFish

Wow! That's a heck of a story and memory that will be told for many years to come! CONGRATS
GeauxFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:38 PM   #29
Whizz Bang

Congratulations?

I inferred from your post that you were CDFW....as in "California Department of Fish and Wildlife". You couldn't identify a WSB?
Aren't you the guys who ticket us when we F!^# up on our rockfish identification? Were you so clueless as to your own profession that you did not realize that WSB are lazy bitches and often go tits up after a run or two, belly up is not uncommon.
To me, anyways, the most offensive part is where you state that you cut the "BSB" free and let it float next to you for 5 minutes before checking it out and trying to revive it. Really? WTF?
Way to lead from the front.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:44 PM   #30
momo fish

Ummm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizz Bang View Post
I inferred from your post that you were CDFW....as in "California Department of Fish and Wildlife". You couldn't identify a WSB?

Aren't you the guys who ticket us when we F!^# up on our rockfish identification? Were you so clueless as to your own profession that you did not realize that WSB are lazy bitches and often go tits up after a run or two, belly up is not uncommon.

To me, anyways, the most offensive part is where you state that you cut the "BSB" free and let it float next to you for 5 minutes before checking it out and trying to revive it. Really? WTF?

momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:59 PM   #31
Harry Hill

Quote:
I was wondering the same thing, who lets a fish float belly up for five minutes if they are releasing it. Seems to me the first thing you do is revive the fish. Then on to other things.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:11 PM   #32
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishphood View Post
Stopped caring about the fish and went to work securing my rods and paddle, then look up to see the fish still belly up and I figured I should go revive it (it's been unhooked and free for almost 5 minutes).

After 5-10 minutes of this BS, I decide it's more than likely a WSB and not BSB, so I gaff it, pull it on to my lap, almost capsize at the weight and then readjust it so it's lengthwise on the yak. I'm still not convinced at this point, so I video call my buddy for confirmation.

He gives me the greenlight, swears at me since he didn't go out with me today, then I'm off to the beach. It's an easy landing with a slightly larger (3-4'?) swell at long period. Off the water by 0915. Weighed it with a handheld scale, measured it with my 'official' work boards, and took a sample of the gonads for work (CDFW).

First and foremost let me begin by congratulating you on a fine specimen. However, there are questions that I'm sure others would like to ask but don't because they don't want to kill your stoke.

So, let's begin at the beginning.

Your thread says

Stopped caring about the fish and went to work securing my rods and paddle,

I will call you out on this comment for one reason and that reason is that you work for the CDFW. Your first and only priority at that time should have been the fish and not your rod or paddle or whatever you were dealing with.

Second thing I'd like to bring up is the following comment, you said

After 5-10 minutes of this BS, I decide it's more than likely a WSB and not BSB, so I gaff it

Really? You weren't sure so you decided the best thing to do was gaff it?

It sounds like the whole thing took place over the course of 10-15minutes.........that's way to long of a time to decide whether or not you had a trophy fish or a fish that is completely off limits.

By the time you're done reading this you'll probably be like, 'who the f*ck is this clown' and it would probably be to late for me to say not to take it personal but I hope this event and my comments served a purpose, not just to you but to everyone else that cannot tell the difference between a wsb and a bsb.

If it makes you feel any better I had a similar experience many years ago but when the fish came up belly up I knew Gaffing it was the last thing I wanted to do. The moment that fish came up I dropped everything and my priority was the fish.........yes, it was a bsb.

Again, nice trophy fish.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 02-25-2016 at 08:47 PM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:11 PM   #33
jorluivil

It looks like someone beat me to the punch

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:25 PM   #34
Whizz Bang

First to punch...

Not the first or the last time George.

We are on the same page brother, it's far too easy to give the forum "nod, smile, and high-five" while looking at the Fish and intel without actually reading. No comprehension. Good catch.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:28 PM   #35
Phishphood

First: responding to these as they were posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck D View Post
Crazy story! Now you know Nice fish bro.

Is that a trout stringer???
Yup. Only thing I had on hand besides the webbing and clip that you see on the other side. Definitely need to get a game clip as reaching my hand through the gills/mouth is not an experience I want to repeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
Beautiful fish! Nice work! The yt and butts will be easy now!

Out of curiosity what do you do with the gonads for the CDFW?
Still working on that myself, let you know when I find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
Dude, your boat looks like it's nothing but an empty hull!

Nice fat fish!
It essentially is. It's a discontinued Native (brand) Magic (model) kayak. Essentially if a canoe and SOT had a baby.
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:28 PM   #36
GregAndrew

I would not know where to start a comment on this post (but congratulations would not be on the list).
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:37 PM   #37
Phishphood

Whizz Bang
Harry Hill
jorluivil
GregAndrew

To these guys, going to try to post more individualized responses to your posts in a second as I write them. Three things to keep in mind please.
a) What I write is a reflection of me, myself and my knowledge, not any job/agency etc.
b) I truly appreciate your honest comments and criticism. I am learning as I go and will never stop learning. Despite latent anger and frustration at past actions of myself or others, I would greatly appreciate continuing on in a productive conversation.
c) I wrote down the events as I could remember in as much entirety as I could remember. They are not all of my proudest moments, but I feel that any information (including things done wrong) can benefit the community, especially newer anglers so they can learn not just from what I did, but what should have been done instead etc. I welcome any and all statements as long as we can try to keep it in line with (b) above.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:21 PM   #38
Phishphood

Quote:

Whizz
Yes, you inferred correctly. I got hired at CDFW two months ago as a SciAid (read:entry level) working on some lobster stuff and some sand bass/kelp bass projects. Please accept that I can ID those and at least several other species quite well. My experiene ID'ing WSB has been from photos posted of catches displayed proudly and already ID'd as such. While I felt comfortable from that point of view, I had never taken the time to look for definite characteristics/traits, like the raised line on the belly. Before this, I had just gone with a general gut feeling and it wasn't cutting it at the time especially as I was mostly viewing the fish upside down. I had only read a few blurbs about WSB coming up exhausted and didn't know how it compared to my only other first hand experience of a BSB coming up belly up. My preconceptions were that a WSB would come up with more energy left than that, and would look more 'slug-like' for lack of a better descriptor.

As far as rockfish go, I know a few, but not all. And my position doesn't require that I know them. Thankfully I am about as far away from the enforcement department as possible.

Quote:
This I fully agree with. Again, my comparison with my previous fish led me to think that maybe they all regain vigor fairly quickly and independently. My first fish was tail flipping before I managed to unhook it and headed to the bottom again like a dropped brick.

I stopped actively watching the fish while sorting out what was going on with my rods/lines. My spinning bait setup was just spread out on my yak over my paddle with more line out than would be preferred. That got organized and stowed in my single rod holder. Did a quick weight removal and windup on my main setup to get rid of loose line and got my paddle situated.

During this time I was aware of where the fish was and generally what, if anything it was doing. In addition to learning more about ID'ing, I should have just quickly situated rods/hooks so that I could safely paddle/balance and tended to the fish. I fully acknowledge my f*ck up here and urge anyone reading to remember that we should do our best to care for the fish's well being second only to our safety (debatable), not necessarily our comfort.

I attempt to lead no one, especially not from the front. I really hope that anyone who sees what I have done can learn from this.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:27 PM   #39
Phishphood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
I was wondering the same thing, who lets a fish float belly up for five minutes if they are releasing it. Seems to me the first thing you do is revive the fish. Then on to other things.
Very fully agreed in theory, I also very fully failed to follow through in practice. Definitely not an outstanding act. Quoting my reply to Whizz:
Quote:
In addition to learning more about ID'ing, I should have just quickly situated rods/hooks so that I could safely paddle/balance and tended to the fish. I fully acknowledge my f*ck up here and urge anyone reading to remember that we should do our best to care for the fish's well being second only to our safety (debatable), not necessarily our comfort.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:40 PM   #40
philr21

Cool story and great memories for sure.
philr21 is offline   Reply With Quote