Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2020, 08:16 AM   #1
ProfessorLongArms
Senior Member
 
ProfessorLongArms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 306
Thursday morning CDFG emergency meeting online

https://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2020/...sagcWQiDbeSh8c

FYI. Open for comment.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:47 AM   #2
blitzburgh
Senior Member
 
blitzburgh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Riverside
Posts: 2,462
Thank you for this. I will be on tomorrow morning. I smell another power grab 🤔
__________________
”The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
~Thomas Jefferson.........maybe
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:59 AM   #3
Saba Slayer
Senior Member
 
Saba Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Palos Verdes
Posts: 1,562
IMHO....

IMHO... as I see it and after a few conversations with some people that have good relationships with the DGF Commission...
As I understand it the purpose of this emergency meeting is primarily to postpone the start of the Trout season in the Eastern Sierras.
The Sheriff in mono County is very worried along with the Hospital staff that their 17 bed facility could be overwhelmed very quickly with all the folks driving up from the South...to the extent that they have set up a checkpoint at the Mammoth offramp on Hwy 395 to check ID's for locals only access...no second home or visitor access is allowed.
A power grab...?...well I must say I'm not happy with granting Commissioner Bonnam total emergency power...I wish there was some public oversite...!
We'll see...hopefully Bonnam will act in a responsible way and just use laser focus to shut down only the areas that could pose logistic problems...but...as I said...We'll see...only time will tell.
If you are truly concerned about any shutdowns, a letter to the DFG Commission expressing your feelings might be in order...(it certainly will do more that just posting your opinion on a kayak fishing board)...let me remind you, that regardless of the State constitutionality that some may post about...we only have a right to fish recreationally and not for sustenance fishing and I've been reminded of that fact a few times in my many years of DFG Commission meeting's as well as the many DFW Marine Resource meetings.
SUBMITTING WRITTEN COMMENTS
The public is encouraged to comment on any agenda item. Submit written comments by one of the following methods: E-mail to fgc@fgc.ca.gov or delivery to California Fish and Game Commission, 1416 Ninth Street, Suite 1320, Sacramento, CA 95814. Materials provided to the Commission may be made available to the general public.
COMMENT DEADLINES
The Written Comment Deadline for this meeting is 5:00 p.m. on April 8, 2020. Written comments received at the Commission office by this deadline will be made available to Commissioners prior to the meeting.
__________________
Jim / Saba Slayer

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:38 AM   #4
ProfessorLongArms
Senior Member
 
ProfessorLongArms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
IMHO... as I see it and after a few conversations with some people that have good relationships with the DGF Commission...
As I understand it the purpose of this emergency meeting is primarily to postpone the start of the Trout season in the Eastern Sierras.
The Sheriff in mono County is very worried along with the Hospital staff that their 17 bed facility could be overwhelmed very quickly with all the folks driving up from the South...to the extent that they have set up a checkpoint at the Mammoth offramp on Hwy 395 to check ID's for locals only access...no second home or visitor access is allowed.
A power grab...?...well I must say I'm not happy with granting Commissioner Bonnam total emergency power...I wish there was some public oversite...!
We'll see...hopefully Bonnam will act in a responsible way and just use laser focus to shut down only the areas that could pose logistic problems...but...as I said...We'll see...only time will tell.
If you are truly concerned about any shutdowns, a letter to the DFG Commission expressing your feelings might be in order...(it certainly will do more that just posting your opinion on a kayak fishing board)...let me remind you, that regardless of the State constitutionality that some may post about...we only have a right to fish recreationally and not for sustenance fishing and I've been reminded of that fact a few times in my many years of DFG Commission meeting's as well as the many DFW Marine Resource meetings.
SUBMITTING WRITTEN COMMENTS
The public is encouraged to comment on any agenda item. Submit written comments by one of the following methods: E-mail to fgc@fgc.ca.gov or delivery to California Fish and Game Commission, 1416 Ninth Street, Suite 1320, Sacramento, CA 95814. Materials provided to the Commission may be made available to the general public.
COMMENT DEADLINES
The Written Comment Deadline for this meeting is 5:00 p.m. on April 8, 2020. Written comments received at the Commission office by this deadline will be made available to Commissioners prior to the meeting.
Agreed on all fronts! I was just posting this to my spear board where things were getting a bit.... nervous

In case it's helpful, (or you're just as bored as I am) The binder for the meeting has a lot in it https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...umentID=178208...
My impression from it is a lot of the focus is on high traffic areas that get seasonal attention like Mono/Inyo county for trout(there's a letter from the Inyo county Board of Supervisors at the bottom) which are about to open. Part of the argument being that 1) there's inconsistent local regulation which creates confusion and 2) people are going to be more inclined to go looking for spots to fish as their local fisheries are shut down. 3) there's no infrastructure to handle tourism right now. Small towns are concerned about people traveling en masse, creating big problems for them.
It's hard to tell if they're looking at this as a blanket "shut it all down" or if they're taking a more prescriptive approach of just trying to mitigate by delaying the open of certain high interest seasonal fisheries.
At the bottom, they're showing a pretty and balanced good mix of input from the public. The voice I'm looking to _respectfully_ represent is one of a local who is practicing proper social distancing while hoping to maintain access to their own fishery.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:49 AM   #5
blitzburgh
Senior Member
 
blitzburgh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Riverside
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
IMHO... as I see it and after a few conversations with some people that have good relationships with the DGF Commission...
As I understand it the purpose of this emergency meeting is primarily to postpone the start of the Trout season in the Eastern Sierras.
The Sheriff in mono County is very worried along with the Hospital staff that their 17 bed facility could be overwhelmed very quickly with all the folks driving up from the South...to the extent that they have set up a checkpoint at the Mammoth offramp on Hwy 395 to check ID's for locals only access...no second home or visitor access is allowed.
A power grab...?...well I must say I'm not happy with granting Commissioner Bonnam total emergency power...I wish there was some public oversite...!
We'll see...hopefully Bonnam will act in a responsible way and just use laser focus to shut down only the areas that could pose logistic problems...but...as I said...We'll see...only time will tell.
If you are truly concerned about any shutdowns, a letter to the DFG Commission expressing your feelings might be in order...(it certainly will do more that just posting your opinion on a kayak fishing board)...let me remind you, that regardless of the State constitutionality that some may post about...we only have a right to fish recreationally and not for sustenance fishing and I've been reminded of that fact a few times in my many years of DFG Commission meeting's as well as the many DFW Marine Resource meetings.
SUBMITTING WRITTEN COMMENTS
The public is encouraged to comment on any agenda item. Submit written comments by one of the following methods: E-mail to fgc@fgc.ca.gov or delivery to California Fish and Game Commission, 1416 Ninth Street, Suite 1320, Sacramento, CA 95814. Materials provided to the Commission may be made available to the general public.
COMMENT DEADLINES
The Written Comment Deadline for this meeting is 5:00 p.m. on April 8, 2020. Written comments received at the Commission office by this deadline will be made available to Commissioners prior to the meeting.
Good idea Jim, working on my written comment now.
__________________
”The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
~Thomas Jefferson.........maybe
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:34 AM   #6
TheBentRod
Senior Member
 
TheBentRod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thousand Oaks
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post
The voice I'm looking to _respectfully_ represent is one of a local who is practicing proper social distancing while hoping to maintain access to their own fishery.
+1
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:07 PM   #7
Saba Slayer
Senior Member
 
Saba Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Palos Verdes
Posts: 1,562
Nice Thought...

"The voice I'm looking to _respectfully_ represent is one of a local who is practicing proper social distancing while hoping to maintain access to their own fishery."
That a very noble thought...but...from enforcement's POV... it seems to me that it would be a nightmare to quickly craft a law that enables locals to fish and keeps others out...and then there's enforcing it...how close do you have to be to your house to be allowed to fish as a local ?
Any suggestions on that...?

..."we only have a right to fish recreationally and not for sustenance fishing and I've been reminded of that fact a few times in my many years of DFG Commission meeting's as well as the many DFW Marine Resource meetings."...

Let's just wait it out a bit longer and see where we get...before the pitchforks come out...LOL...

I've got three different two week reservations in the Eastern Sierras starting in late May and ending in mid September...I'm just hoping to get to at least two of them
__________________
Jim / Saba Slayer

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:26 PM   #8
ProfessorLongArms
Senior Member
 
ProfessorLongArms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
That a very noble thought...but...from enforcement's POV... it seems to me that it would be a nightmare to quickly craft a law that enables locals to fish and keeps others out...and then there's enforcing it...how close do you have to be to your house to be allowed to fish as a local ?
Any suggestions on that...?
That comment was more in response to a bunch of people freaking out and shouting about the gov'mit, clutching thier state constitutions, swearing, spitting, and quoting Thomas Jefferson

I'm less seeing it as something they can actively implement and something they can passively refrain from implementing.

TBQH, I think it makes perfect sense to postpone the opening of the fisheries in Mono and Inyo counties. The letter written by the Board of Supervisors and Sheriff paints a pretty scary picture, and it seems like you'd want to eliminate the option for anyone crazy enough to try to travel out there right now.

While it doesn't sound likely, I'm more speaking to the concern that fishing would just be cancelled until this whole thing blows over. That said, it's kinda moot for me at this point, as there's no real access to PCH where I typically fish/dive right now based on local enforcement anyway.

Last edited by ProfessorLongArms; 04-08-2020 at 01:33 PM.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:28 PM   #9
Salty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: South Orange County, CA
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
IMHO... as I see it and after a few conversations with some people that have good relationships with the DGF Commission... **** ...Written comments received at the Commission office by this deadline will be made available to Commissioners prior to the meeting.
Thank you for this information and for sharing your insight!
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:22 AM   #10
Saba Slayer
Senior Member
 
Saba Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Palos Verdes
Posts: 1,562
Meeting rescheduled...maxed out...

The webbex was maxed at 200 and the conference call was maxed at 700...so...the DFG canceled this meeting and will reschedule at a later time on a different platform...
__________________
Jim / Saba Slayer

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:26 AM   #11
Saba Slayer
Senior Member
 
Saba Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Palos Verdes
Posts: 1,562
From the DFG last night...

This info is from Wayne (CCA Executive Director)...
Please JOIN CCA CAL...!!!

There's been a lot of misinformation being spread about the California Fish & Game Commission emergency meeting. Here is an update from the Executive Director for the Commission:

"After yesterday’s announcement about an emergency teleconference meeting, we’ve had countless inquiries with some confusion that I want to clarify:

The meeting is Thursday, April 9, at 8:30 a.m. For information on how to join, please see our meeting agenda or meeting materials. Commissioners and commission staff care deeply about recreational fishing and recognize that it can be an especially important outlet during this difficult time. Tomorrow’s meeting is not to consider recreational fishing closures. Tomorrow’s meeting is to consider adopting a temporary regulation that would expire on May 31, 2020. The Commission and its staff do not have the capacity to make quick decisions that may be needed as the COVID-19 emergency evolves in the coming weeks.The proposed regulation delegates authority to the California Department of Fish and Wildlife to swiftly respond to dynamic public health and safety concerns arising from the COVID-19 emergency by temporarily delaying, suspending, or restricting sport fishing for particular species or in specific areas (i.e., delaying the trout opener in Mono or Inyo counties as they have requested). If the regulation is approved, the department is required to consider public health and safety guidance from federal, state, tribal and local governments to shape any decisions on whether to delay, suspend, or restrict fishing. The director must also consult with the president of the Commission on any decisions.

I hope this helps better explain what is intended with tomorrow morning’s meeting."
__________________
Jim / Saba Slayer

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:14 AM   #12
stevie951
Lurker
 
stevie951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Riverside
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
This info is from Wayne (CCA Executive Director)...
Please JOIN CCA CAL...!!!

There's been a lot of misinformation being spread about the California Fish & Game Commission emergency meeting. Here is an update from the Executive Director for the Commission:

Tomorrow’s meeting is not to consider recreational fishing closures."
Thanks for being an outlet, and thanks again for the clarification
__________________
"A Reel expert can Tackle anything "

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:25 AM   #13
Saba Slayer
Senior Member
 
Saba Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Palos Verdes
Posts: 1,562
More DFG info...

Commission President Eric Sklar and California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) Director Charlton H. Bonham made the following joint statement:

“We are very appreciative of the passion we heard from those that were able to join this morning’s call. It is clear that the call volume was overwhelming and the technology wasn’t ready. We acknowledge that this is a challenge as we attempt to navigate new technology for meetings. We are frustrated by what happened today and are looking for a remedy now. We understand that many members of the public and media were unable to join the call and because we also understand the importance to many of you, we need to ensure that you have an opportunity to provide input.
“We want to make sure you know that we have received a great deal of input from counties and tribes, and we are grateful for that. You can always make comment for the record at fgc@fgc.ca.gov.
“We also want to make it crystal clear that today’s proposed decision was not about banning fishing statewide or locally. We are not contemplating statewide closure. The decision is to help prepare us to work with counties and tribes to make those decisions based on their requests. We are working on a tailored and surgical approach based on local needs and knowledge. We have already received some of these requests. Today’s proposed action was an effort to become more nimble and ready to react when asked by a local entity to act.”
When the meeting is rescheduled, it will be posted on the Commission’s website, sent out via listserv and advised to media.
Due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, the Commission was set to discuss whether or not to temporarily grant authority to CDFW to decide whether to delay, restrict, or suspend sport or recreational fishing in order to prevent and mitigate public health risks that may arise when people travel for fishing trips or congregate while participating in available fishing opportunities. CDFW and the Commission have received requests from county representatives and local health authorities requesting delays to sport or recreational fish openers such as the Eastern Sierra trout opener scheduled for April 25, 2020. Because of overwhelming call volume, the call will be rescheduled.
__________________
Jim / Saba Slayer

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:48 PM   #14
Salty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: South Orange County, CA
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
Commission President Eric Sklar and California Department of Fish and Wildlife... ...the call will be rescheduled.
Again, thank you for this info! I've been on work projects all day long, but this was still hanging in the back of my mind... Thank you for keeping us updated!
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:45 PM   #15
ProfessorLongArms
Senior Member
 
ProfessorLongArms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie951 View Post
Thanks for being an outlet, and thanks again for the clarification
+++

Much appreciated! You've been really helpful in all of the noise surrounding this.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 2002 Big Water's Edge. All rights reserved.