Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2015, 12:34 PM   #41
Hammerhead_77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Hoibie probably had the outbacks and revos in mind when they decided on a 230 cm paddle, not the pro angler. I was debating on buying a better paddle for my pro angler if an emergency arises, similar to your case. In my opinion a 240 cm would better suited, maybe even larger, if such a thing exists? Is this is you primary kayak? If it is, I would seriously think about doing a paddle upgrade. Also, depending on usage, maybe replacing all the cables every 2 years, maybe less if you are using the kayak frequently. Overhauling the complete drive every season is not a bad idea. Including lubing the drive and also applying Loctite to the proper places like the shaft pins. Save the cables you removed in a parts bag and should be good to go. Or at the least, reduce your chances of a failure. And lastly, a spare drive is an option. If this is in your budget?
Yes, this is my one and only yak...and I don't see myself going to anything narrower, well, ever. So, step 1 was having the local Hobie dealer completely overhaul my drive, do the Glide upgrade, and set me up with the common spare parts.

That done, I still need a backup propulsion option, So, I went and looked at some paddles and DAYYUM! Those things can cost some $$.... Combine that with the fact that a PA is not going to paddle well and my choice has been made... Time to ditch the front hatch liner and get a kill bag and spare drive that will fit in that space.
Hammerhead_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:36 PM   #42
Cbad Mike

Hobie's peddle powered kayaks are just a novelty.
Trust me, the fad will be over in 6 months tops.