Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2023, 04:15 PM   #1
fishnfoool

9/19 report LJ

The fishing was fantastic!!! I launched around 8:30 after meeting this nice guy named Roger and chit chatting with him for about 20 mins. Went straight west in 1-2 footers at 10 second intervals. Almost perfectly dry on my way out. Took me about 45 minutes to make my first and only bait ( Spanish mack ). Tried for another hour to make bait but it was futile. So decide to troll around in front of the condo and leave my sabiki in the water.
Long story short: Left around 2 and didn't catch anything except for that Spanish Mack.
Good luck to anyone that goes out.
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 06:54 PM   #2
tootall

Good talking to you Toni. Maybe next time the results will be better.
tootall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 09:17 PM   #3
MavYak
Junior

thanks for the report.
Heard making bait was tough the past 2 weeks...at least straight out west. Also that catching was on the very slow side.
MavYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 12:48 PM   #4
pistol

Same for me....water is still bad
pistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 05:31 AM   #5
TJones

What's going on?

What happened to the jewel? Thanks for adventuring out and posting report. Can't imagine spending 100$ in gas right now, only to experience a desert wasteland.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 11:53 AM   #6
JohnMckroidJr

Thanks for reporting. Does anyone ever fish for bait before sunrise? On the East Coast, the primary bait(big-eyed scad) stops feeding at sunrise. Maybe one would have better luck locating and catching bait if they launched during hours of darkness.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 08:20 PM   #7
skrilla

I've had better luck in deeper water. 170ft+ was the magic zone for me this past month. Sand bass was the common suspect but signs on the meter was night and day over deeper water. Good luck!
Old 09-22-2023, 09:52 PM   #8
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Thanks for reporting. Does anyone ever fish for bait before sunrise? On the East Coast, the primary bait(big-eyed scad) stops feeding at sunrise. Maybe one would have better luck locating and catching bait if they launched during hours of darkness.
Usually when fishing La Jolla, I like to be on the water and past the reserve line about an hour before sunrise. Maybe it's the sabikis I'm using, but lately I haven't been getting much bait in the dark. And when I do, it's mostly been Spanish mac, not greenbacks. Just been weird down there the past couple trips!
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 04:04 AM   #9
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Usually when fishing La Jolla, I like to be on the water and past the reserve line about an hour before sunrise. Maybe it's the sabikis I'm using, but lately I haven't been getting much bait in the dark. And when I do, it's mostly been Spanish mac, not greenbacks. Just been weird down there the past couple trips!
On the East Coast in up to 20ft of water, When the bait gets finicky, a kayaker using Crappie jigs will outfish a Sabiki consistently. I refused to use a crappie for a whole year and stuck with the Hayabusa D119. If I luckily hit a hungry school, I would load up faster, but otherwise, my buddy consistently outfished me with 1/16 oz crappie jigs tied into a 3 jig gangion on a light line. In deeper water when a bait school is metered, dropping a sabiki quickly through the marks remains the best method for us. If they are boiling on the surface, the Crappie is king.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote