Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
dorado50

Another one....

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/s...-dead-21075317

I remember when I was there a few years ago a person advised me to be careful in that body of water because of the sharks. I think he called it "Shark Alley".....
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
Dannowar

There was an animated map that followed Tigershark activity in Maui and most of them were placed right outside MakenA. Used to hang at big beach and dive molokini years ago. Crazy.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
619-SWIM-DOG

I got my start at kayak fishing in Maui. When I heard this news, I got a hold of all my friends to make sure it wasn't them. Two of them were out fishing today in the same area, just further out towards Molokini. When I was there, I fished this area all the time and never ran into a shark. I knew they were around. I had friends who have been hassled by tiger sharks(bumped, chased, circled). I know I hooked into one once, that was a tough 30min. I ended up breaking him off and 9ft of my line looked like it was rubbed with sand paper. The pic below was taken by some lucky spear fisherman in the same area early 2013. This unlucky guy today was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Lesson learned, don't hang limbs over the side. Thought's and prayers to the family of the kayaker.

http://www.mauinews.com/page/content...id/579576.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (23.5 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by 619-SWIM-DOG; 12-03-2013 at 07:20 AM.
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

I've surfed at places where we did not sit on the boards waiting for waves, we laid prone on the boards with our legs out of the water and in the air and arms out of the water unless we were paddling. On my kayak, I rarely dangle my feet over the side, especially if there is fish stink and blood on the kayak.