Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2017, 09:47 AM   #1
Steve Max

What's your setup?

As spring nears and summer just around the corner, being prepared for a good bite is key. I would like to know what rod and reels you use for ur trips. I know this is dependent on location and type of fish, but do you have a mandatory setup you like to take with you? What are ur thoughts on a surface iron setup? Do you like it on a kayak? Is it difficult to toss? What is ur go to surface iron setup? I hope I can stir up some communication and get some good feedback. Thank You!

Steve
Steve Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:03 AM   #2
octico

• For LJ I keep it simple
  • I have a TLD 15 on Big 5 Sabre Rod
  • For surface Daiwa Sealine on Turners California rod
  • If I am confident I am not going to roll in the surf I take a Lexa 400 on Daiwa proteus rod.
  • Fishing locally Daiwa saltist levelwind on any rod, I cannot emphasize how durable the Saltist LW are. I have dunked them water numerous times over the last 3 years and have yet to take in to serviced.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:21 AM   #3
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Two I always have with me - I don't always use them as surface iron setups but both work well for that kinda thing..

Shimano Torium 16 with seeker black classic 8'6 bsc 6485-8 20-40lb

Daiwa Lexa 300 with shimano sojourn 15-25lb 7'6

I use the lexa for bass fishing a lot plastics etc. but heavy enough to huck a surface jig if I want to fish a lighter setup. Cheap shimano big5 rod kicks ass love it.

The torium setup is my go-to surface iron rod. Its more expensive but versatile, i used it fishing bottom recently and while its designed for throwing jigs worked well for that type of fishing.

other good option: daiwa sealine reels with sabre rod from big5 - cheap, will last forever and can be used for bait/surface etc.

Look for versatility in your setups and nothing too expensive as they will get thrashed on the kayak regardless of how careful you are. Once you are more confident in your rig, routine, locations then you can start to get a little nicer gear for more specific purposes.
YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:39 PM   #4
chris138
donkey roper

For a jigstick I like saltist... matched with a 9'+ rod with plenty of back bone. Straight 40# mono, or 65# spectra with a short 3' flouro leader

Bait stick TLD 15 with 7' uglystik tiger medium, 65# spectra and 40-50# mono topshot ~ 100-150'. If you watch my videos, this setup catches 75% of my gamefish. You don't need massive drag strength on kayak. 14-16# of drag is about perfect.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:42 PM   #5
Steve Max

YakHanded thank you for the reply. It sounds like your gear is very versatile especially with that Lexa. I have a Torium now and will have to pair it with a decent rod. I agree with getting something that I can get used to and then later but nicer gear. I will definitely take into consideration a large bait caster as a versatile reel.

Thank You

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2017, 02:56 PM   #6
Steve Max

Octico and Chris thank you for your time! Very insightful....it's easy to look pass the cheaper stuff and root for the trini's etc. now I'm wide open on options.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:23 PM   #7
YakDout
Brandon

What's your setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Max View Post
Octico and Chris thank you for your time! Very insightful....it's easy to look pass the cheaper stuff and root for the trini's etc. now I'm wide open on options.

When you can get 2-3 cheaper reels that do the same thing as one thats more expensive, its a pretty easy decision. Keep your drags greased, change drag washers when needed, or upgrade to carbontex drags if your reel doesnt come with it. $20 upgrade to get some smooth drag out of a cheep reel. Can upgrade to some abec 5 boca bearings for a good price as well, keep those oiled, drags greased and you are good to go!
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:40 PM   #8
FullFlavorPike

Of all my cheap-o gear, I think I like my Okuma rods the best as far as fit and finish for the price, not to mention with loads of backbone.

If you're looking for a cheap and capable reel, especially to use as a backup, the older Penn 320GT reels are surprisingly bomb proof. I'm not the best at keeping my shit clean, and this is the reel that I have had that requires the least love to function consistently right. Holds like 300yds of 65# braid, which is more than you'll (probably) ever need on a kayak. Supply is virtually limitless on ebay, and if you don't like the levelwind you can take it off in like ten minutes.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:28 PM   #9
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
Of all my cheap-o gear, I think I like my Okuma rods the best as far as fit and finish for the price, not to mention with loads of backbone.

If you're looking for a cheap and capable reel, especially to use as a backup, the older Penn 320GT reels are surprisingly bomb proof. I'm not the best at keeping my shit clean, and this is the reel that I have had that requires the least love to function consistently right. Holds like 300yds of 65# braid, which is more than you'll (probably) ever need on a kayak. Supply is virtually limitless on ebay, and if you don't like the levelwind you can take it off in like ten minutes.
How could I forget the Penn 320GT! I love that reel, I should dig out
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 05:38 PM   #10
hook1fred

Like most are saying here leave your nicer stuff on the rod rack and take your less expensive but functional stuff on the yak. I use my sealines and my avets and my older sticks. Wash them off gives them oil and they're ready to go back out next week
hook1fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:36 PM   #11
2-Stix

This is the upper cost on rods, upper middle on reels.
I use these on a 10 pack I fish 1-2 times April-Nov out of Oxnard at the Channel Islands.
In the past I would do about 20-25 days a year on the yak and a 2-3 days on the boats, now its 5-10 days on the yak and 12-16 days on the charter.
So my gear is a bit nice for the yak.

Chris nailed it with the TLD and Ugly Sticks. A few of those and your set just as well. It will all hang fish.

(Chris...lets not do this again...)

Here my Gucci Gear below.

Shimano Curado 300e - bass rod
Plastics/lite flyliner/squid strips
Calstar GFGR-800XL 8' 10-25
20/50# floro/braid
strike set at 6#

Avet SX 5.3 MC - light flyliner
Surface irons/med flyliner
Calstar GFDH-800ML 8’ 15-40
30/50# floro/braid
strike set at 9#

Avet MXJ 6/4
Heavy Irons/surface Irons - jig stick
Calstar GG 690J 9' 20-50
40/65# floro/braid
strike set at 9#

Avet MXL 6/4 Raptor - heavy bait dropper
Dropper Loop/back up heavy flyliner
Calstar GFGR-700M 7’ 20-50
40/65# floro/braid
strike 15#

Avet JX 6/3 MC - heavy bait flyliner
Heavy flyliner/back up dropper loop
Calstar GFDH-800MH 8’ 20-50
40/65# floro/braid
strike set at 13#

Last edited by 2-Stix; 01-27-2017 at 09:43 PM.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:12 AM   #12
Stuck20

Surface- Avet MXJ 5.8, Ugly Stik Tiger rod with 30lb mono.

Live Bait- Penn Squall LD 40 with an Okuma rod. Think it's called a Nomad?
65 lb power pro braid and leader depends on where I'm at.
Stuck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:57 PM   #13
tamddo714

i use the same rods on my kayak as i do on a boat. i just leash everything down and give everything a good wash afterwards

7'6'' crucial mh w/curado 200- for harbor fishing
7'11'' crucial H w/curado 300- my heavy bass setup-catching bait
8' teramar H w/avet mxj- 30# rig for yellow and small jigs
8'5'' seeker blk steel w/torium 20- jig stick
7' seeker blk steel 6470h w/avet jx 2spd- dropper loop and yoyo
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote