Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
dorado50

Ballyhoo from the Yak...

Been wanting to troll rigged ballyhoo from the hobie this past season but with so much bait in the waters off LJ this past season it did'nt seem worthwhile. Never tried ballyhoo for yellowtail (or any other species besides marlin) anywhere. Since ballyhoo are slow trolled (2-3kts.) it could work from the yak, just don't know if inshore palagics would bite? Anyone ever try this? Your thoughts.....
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
Ohana

I think it is worth a try, especially with regards to threshers. If your bait gets tail slapped, stop and let the T-shark take the bait.

While not ballyhoo's, I was thinking of trolling from my kayak some of the smaller spreader bars I used locally for dorado and bonito a few years ago. These are the small Fred Archer bars that use plastic spreaders and 2" squids. With the Hobie mirage drive and high angle on the rods, this might work good on attracting fish around points.

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
Jim Sammons LJKF

Never tried them up here, but we have trolled them behind a kayak in Baja and caught. Marlin, Sails, Roosters and Dorado on them.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
dorado50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
Never tried them up here, but we have trolled them behind a kayak in Baja and caught. Marlin, Sails, Roosters and Dorado on them.

Good to know they do work from the yak, I kinda thought they would cause they are trolled so slow. Now, if the waters warm up here and macs aren't around maybe a ballyhoo could fool a yellowtail!

I don't think you'll get the action needed from a spreader bar trolled from a yak. But worth a try anyway....
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote