Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Madbeaver
Nub

Casitas Lake questions

I'm thinking about going in the next week or so and haven't fished fresh water in the yak....well once yesterday at lake Irvine but didn't do well with the fly rod, I could have got a spinner and threw some power bait but decided not to. But everyone else on the lake were catching trout lol so they were there for sure. But for Casitas lake I am going to use my normal rods and maybe play with my fly rod.

1. Does anyone fish here for stripper with rod and reel? if so any advice I have never fished for them before.

2. Has anyone fished for them with a fly rod? any suggestions on flies?

Thanks for any input
Madbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
yakrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbeaver View Post
I'm thinking about going in the next week or so and haven't fished fresh water in the yak....well once yesterday at lake Irvine but didn't do well with the fly rod, I could have got a spinner and threw some power bait but decided not to. But everyone else on the lake were catching trout lol so they were there for sure. But for Casitas lake I am going to use my normal rods and maybe play with my fly rod.

1. Does anyone fish here for stripper with rod and reel? if so any advice I have never fished for them before.

2. Has anyone fished for them with a fly rod? any suggestions on flies?

Thanks for any input
Casitas lake has no stippers...check you local strip club for that...

as for stripers...they have no stripers in Casitas...
only large mouth bass, catfish, trout, redear perch, carp, crappie and black crappie...
not sure about the fly thing...my guess would be this time of year would
be ok for sinking critters, not much in the way of surface action...
bass are down deep this time of year and so are the trout...

as for kayaking or boating...
unless you have one stored at the lake, you will not be alowed to launch yours...quaaga mussle fear has the lake locked down...
a 10 day quarentine is the only way to get your boat on the lake...
if you have an extra $50.00 and time to get your boat or kayak up to the lake at least 10 days prior to your planned fishing day, you can do the inspection and quarentine...
I say...F that...for $50.00 I'll rent a skiff or fish from shore...
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
Ohana

I just watched "Bass: the Movie" and there was a section where Lake Casitas was fished, using fly and spinning gear, so fly gear is good. They also showed what flies to use; shad patterns and rainbow trout colored flies.

The main thing I gathered from watching the video was kayak fishing Lake Casitas, besides the quarantine period, is best if you know where to go on the lake as the size and shape of the lake would be hard to explore in a day with a kayak. I agree with yakrider that renting a skiff would be the best bet for the first time fishing the lake; cover the water quicker and identify spots for a future trip.

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote