Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
Ohana

Question MLPA map clarification

I was traveling all this week and finally read this morning the news about the DFG's decision regarding the MLPA's and then took a look at the map on their website. Obviously not happy, but very confused as to what each designation means. I understand that an SMR designation is no-fishing, but is recreational fishing allowed in SMCA-designated areas that are not listed as No-Take?

Looking at the map, it appears that in Orange County, Bolsa Chica Basin in SMCA No-Take, while in San Diego only Batiquitos and San Elijo lagoon's are the only SMCA No-take areas. But, I heard that the Newport Back Bay is also SMCA No-Take even though it is not listed as such on the map?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
GregAndrew

I believe that the MPAs have to state that you may fish, and what you can fish for, for it to be allowed.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
Ohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
I believe that the MPAs have to state that you may fish, and what you can fish for, for it to be allowed.
Thanks for the reply.

I spent some time this evening reading all the various documents on the DFG MLPA website to determine what is/is not allowed and it is indeed confusing. For instance, the Newport Back Bay DFG regulations currently allows for fishing by line and hook, but it appears that the new wording will say "Take of all living marine resources is prohibited except the recreational take of finfish [subsection 632(a)(2)] by hook and line from shore only, or take pursuant to activities authorized under subsection 632(b)(110)(D), is allowed."

So if I understand this correctly, I can kayak into the Newport Back Bay, get on shore and cast for fish, but I cannot fish from my kayak on the water? Somehow this does not make much sense, but that may be the exact purpose of this rule change!

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote