Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
ful-rac
Emperor

Irvine Lake Trout

Unfortunately the OEX tournament got blown out and rained out Saturday...so I thought I go back to Irvine Sunday and catch some more trout!!! I met a few other BWE members there....Matt and eric I believe, nice to meet you guys. The day started out windy cold and rainy....and stayed like that pretty much the whole time.

Trolled all around the whole lake, and only got bit around the trout island side of the flats. Water temp was around 62-64 degrees.

Even caught a crappie draggin' the old lures.

Ended up with limits by noon, topped off by a 3 pounder that I thought was a 4... (weighed in at the shop) . Caught all the trout on the Owner mira shad in pink....hot little lure!!! The crappie bit a little mini norman crankbait.

Had a great time...but was damn cold. Will be back soon!

Tony.
ful-rac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

hahaha! liking the gaff! To funny good fishing, bet it was cold.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
roby
CEO of Team Roby

If I wasn't into yakking, just looking at your yak would make me buy one....sweet ride. Way to go on the fishies....

I may hit up Irvine on Thursday or Friday...the staff was cool that you didn't launch at the ramp? I'll post my report when/if I go....
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:06 PM   #4
ericko

It was nice meeting you ful-rac .It was nice at 615 and turned bad(wet) by 7 ....Dint stop us from fishing tho, didnt get any fishies myself hoping to get back out there wednesday darn furlough...I will need to get that hot pink shad, hope thats the trick or was it the bad luck that matt brings with him..
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
Jzo

Very cool setup! Thx for sharing, congrats.
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #6
Caffeind

Bummer on the tourney rain out..wondered about that.

Nice limits! Got a 3-pack a few weekends ago. Thinkin of hittin Irvine next Monday.

That pink Mira is the hot bait right now for sure, keep hearing about it.
Do you know which shop is carrying those?
Caffeind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeind View Post
Bummer on the tourney rain out..wondered about that.

Nice limits! Got a 3-pack a few weekends ago. Thinkin of hittin Irvine next Monday.

That pink Mira is the hot bait right now for sure, keep hearing about it.
Do you know which shop is carrying those?
Most tackle shops have them...they're nothing special...Savon, Turners, Longfin....they all hav'em.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #8
StinkyMatt

Nice job Tony, it was fun fishing (I mean, you fishing, me just kayaking next to you) with you. You did have the "special, secret" lure. The rain was not so bad, it was seening my meter lit up all day, everyone around me with fish and getting a ZERO.

My screen name is "StinkyMatt" for a reason.
Attached Images

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:34 PM   #9
Ohana

I am going to try Irvine this Wednesday. Pick my Christmas tree in the morning and fish the lake after that

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:13 AM   #10
blackcloud9
Kayaker

http://sdfish.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=103182

fyi Jennings trout post, but they don't allow kayaks,
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:40 AM   #11
mtnbykr2

Yes,
It's trout time again, time to hit the inland waters for some yummy fishees..me, I am headed to Bishop this weekend on our annual Thanksgiving trout and turkey day, no yaks this trip though, alot of hiking in and rock hoppin for those illusive Browns and Alpers...have fun out there this weekend and may all of your Thanksgiving dinners be full of joy, family , friends...and a little trout to go on the side...happy Thanksgiving to all....b
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #12
garcia0425
Junior

Any advise you could provide for trolling for trout. This weekend should be my first time trolling for trout off my kayak. I've been told the further your line is out the deeper your bait will lay in the water. How far behind your kayak were you trolling the mira shad? I'm guessing you paddle at a very slow pace?

If heard trolling a crappie jig is also a good lure for trout. How would you troll a jig (is the weight of the weighted hook sufficient to get the jig deep enough as you troll)?
garcia0425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #13
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcia0425 View Post
Any advise you could provide for trolling for trout. This weekend should be my first time trolling for trout off my kayak. I've been told the further your line is out the deeper your bait will lay in the water. How far behind your kayak were you trolling the mira shad? I'm guessing you paddle at a very slow pace?

If heard trolling a crappie jig is also a good lure for trout. How would you troll a jig (is the weight of the weighted hook sufficient to get the jig deep enough as you troll)?
Experiment on how far to let your line back, I would start about 50 ft behind the yak and then drop it back every so often. Don't get too ridiculously far behind the yak, some one will definitely run over your stuff. Be aware what other people are doing so you don't run over their stuff also.

As far as speed I like to keep it around 1.5 to 2 knots for the mira shad and the other crankbaits or rapalas and such. If you want to fish deep I would consider using leadcore, I use it and when I'm metering the fish deep, it works pretty well when the fish just aren't biting the surface lures. I might be back out there sometime this weekend probably friday or saturday.

Good Luck!
Old 11-23-2010, 04:05 PM   #14
garcia0425
Junior

I really appreciate the tips, thank you.

I also read that it's good to kayak in an "S" motion rather than a straight line, to aid with the movement of your lure. Once I hook up on that first trout I'll know I'm doing something right. I'm thinking of heading to Lake Murray or Miramar tomorrow to test it out. Thanks again.

I may find myself at Irvine too on Saturday.
garcia0425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:46 AM   #15
cabojohn
PROBATION

I'll bite. First off Irvine Lake does a super job stocking the lake with feesh. Its a little pricey but worth the coin.
There is no one single "hot spot" for fishing ...you can find fish all over the lake!
I can't stand soaking bait so 99% of the fish I get are on the slow troll.
You do NOT need electronics for da vine.
Go for a paddle and enjoy the views of nature instead of your monitor. Keep it simple and you will enjoy your time on the water that much more.

As far as lures for Da Vine...I don't take much...but I almost always have out a Rapala cd-3 or cd-5 out in fire tiger flavor/color.
Also I use Panther Martins on the slow troll. (color is not important) These are are deadly along with Thomas Boyants.
*The most important detail IMHO is lure speed. Once you get this dialed you should be whacking fish. (1.2-1.6mph range works best for me)
I also use 6# mono line.

If yer into soaking bait...I have no advice.

One last thing...the bait shop has awesome breakfast burritos and the burgers are purdy tasty.
*BRING ENOUGH CERVEZA...beer is bucks up at the bait shop. ha

Good luck
I will probably fish the lake on Sunday.

Last edited by cabojohn; 11-24-2010 at 09:09 AM.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #16
Deuce

k
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote