Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #1
45user

Truck inside camper shell rod carrier

Hey BWE!
Anyone have a good system that they use to carry their fishing rods inside the camper shell?
I want to hang something inside the camper shell to carry my rods but don't want to drill a hole in my camper shell.
Anyone have good system/diy rack they want to share?
I looked rod loft pro and it looks good but have some negative reviews and pretty expensive.
Thank you in advance!
45user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #2
MrPatrick

Could you run some spring loaded closet/shower rods across the inside?
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
45user

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPatrick View Post
Could you run some spring loaded closet/shower rods across the inside?
I tried that and with the vibration it sometimes collapses..
I am hoping someone has a better idea on their truck
My truck has Leer shell
Old 06-23-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
Widgeon

You could build something out of 1x material or plywood strips and make a pressure / wedge fit. Use uprights that rest on the lip of the bed and follow the contour of your shell to support a header. Then attach your rod holders to the header or make them integral. Could use some construction adhesive as backup
Widgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #5
easyday

I boight one that is a strap system with loops built in and I use it on the inside of my SUV it works great.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:06 AM   #6
fishingfool

Bass pro shops sells a pole that attaches to the sides. Have one in my pilot works great each pole is held in place with Velcro. Everyone can sit in the car with out getting hit with poles.
http://www.basspro.com/Rod-Saver-Veh...product/15989/
fishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:28 AM   #7
45user

I heard the strap ones kinda sags
But at $20 I may try that one
Any others have used something else? Or pic of their diy system to give me some idea?
Thank you all for your help!
Old 06-24-2014, 07:13 AM   #8
45user

I found this on the internet and I think I'm going to try modify this idea a bit. I will need to find a thin hook to put this on inside the camper window.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:37 PM   #9
IN2DEEP

I had the same dilemma when trying to come up with a rod rack for my camper shell.
I didn't want to drill any holes to mount an overhead rack and also didn't want to lose any head room in the shell since I sometimes sleep back there when camping.
I was planning on using the existing screws on the side window frames to mount some "gun rack" type holders to hold the rods.

In the end, I utilized the shell ledge and existing hold down bolts to store 3 rods on each side.
The hooks are bent aluminum.
The lower hook is a separate piece from the upper section. They are sandwiched together with the hold down bolt.
The rods are separated from rubbing each other and I used peel and stick felt on any surface that they might rub against.

I have a long bed(8') so this design works out. I can fit rods up to 8'
If you have a short bed, it might not work out too well
As previously mentioned, with a short bed truck, you will need a system to be able to pass the rods through a window.

Old 03-03-2021, 07:32 AM   #10
Harbisgirl
Junior

IN2DEEP - I love this, its exactly what I was looking for. I want to mount our poles (2 on each side) along the rail because I need clearance along the roof.

You say that the hooks are bent aluminum - did you make these yourself? I'm hoping to purchase something somewhat ready-made since we just moved and all our tools are in storage so we can't fabricate anything right now.
Harbisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:33 AM   #11
Harbisgirl
Junior

And I just realized this thread is from 2014 so IN2DEEP probably won't see this. Oh well, maybe someone else will chime in LOL
Harbisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:22 AM   #12
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbisgirl View Post
And I just realized this thread is from 2014 so IN2DEEP probably won't see this. Oh well, maybe someone else will chime in LOL
I've looked in to a couple different options for my truck. I have a short bed
2016 Colorado. I don't have a camper shell, but I do have the large Yakima HD Overhaul Racks and I've though of different ways to utilize the T-rail system on the BOTTOM of the crossbars to mount something, just haven't had much time to actually do anything. But for you purposes, if you aren't able to fabricate something, these holders above reminded me of the holders used for pool-cleaning nets/poles. Maybe something like this would work for you? Might even be able to heat them up a little and bend them to shape to your truck better. Just a thought!

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminium-Swi...585364045&th=1
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote