Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2006, 01:53 PM   #1
Afran
fishy

Checkers 7/8

Late Launch. Low pressure fishing day. Super crowded. I think some kayak fishermen need to read the boating edicate manual or something. I know they are small boats, but give a little space. Stop running UP my troll lines. Had to vent a bit, the guy said he was sorry and I accepted.

Plenty of Spanish and Greens. Trolled from the Tip to the hotels a few times. Heard one nice YT picked up early morn in front of the Hotel.

Had these guys eat the Spanish Fly.

Warm water. Big Leopards at the launch. Weekend crowd.[/img]
Old 07-08-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
Useful Idiot

I agree on the trolling awareness issue. Nice calicos
Old 07-08-2006, 02:46 PM   #3
DESTROYER

I agree! Thursday seemed to be the same. Guys trolling right in front of me. One guy fishing way inside the reserve :shock: . Another two guys trolled right between two 1/2 day boats :? . That is the one problem with kayaking, many people dive head first before checking to see how deep it is. There is plenty of info from all of the kayak sites....You just have to do your research....Summer weekends are going to be a ZOO! You won't catch me fishing Saturday or Sunday from my Yak. Be Safe!

Moyer
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:46 PM   #4
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

I launched around 4:15am and made bait fairly easily, made my way out for not too much...slow day for me....did get a calico and a 35", 7.5 lb cuda....made my way in and saw 5 knucklehead kids hooked up inside the bouys.....told em inside the bouys was a preserve and BIG fines for those fishin inside....the rest made their way outside but the tourist hooked up couldn't do too much....I guess this is the time of the year you all talk about :roll:
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:40 PM   #5
Dean Machine

Still dreamin' of last december. WOW!!!!
Old 07-08-2006, 10:38 PM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

Fished the PM today, million people on the beach, had to park 1/2 mile away, but hardly a soul on the water. Birds, baitballs, barracuda and boneys. I picked up a Newel 332 and put it on my 9 footer and had to get out and try it. Plenty of opportunity, boiling barracuda and bonito about 3 miles southwest of the launch, lot of fun. I was throwing the 7X and got nothing but barries, Ryan was getting the bones. A very ungraceful landing around 9PM ops:

Old 07-09-2006, 05:04 AM   #7
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Nice speed bait shot!

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:25 AM   #8
Afran
fishy

Great pix and report.

Which camera are you shooting?
Old 07-09-2006, 03:03 PM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

Afran, the camera is nothing special, Concord 5345, 5mp. I got it for Fathers Day last year at Fry's for $145, it has had no problems. I keep it on deck in a pelican case. Takes great pix in full sun, most cameras will. I am looking for something better. I process the pix with photoshop 7, and use plugins from Optipix and Neat Image.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:31 PM   #10
FishNuts

Speaking of trolling, I've seen kayakers out there with over 100 yds of line out trolling. If you have more than 100 ft out you've got too much. More is not going to get you any more fish but it is going to get you hung up or cut off. I had a guy troll by me and cut me off and his 150 yards of lines went on for ever. I had to wait five minutes for him to clear me before I could continue on my course.
FishNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:41 PM   #11
Afran
fishy

Andy, Thanks for the info. I've noticed that the colors in your photos look vibratant. I'm shooting with a Casio Exilim stored in a ziploc baggie. It does the job, but I'm sure it will soon get fryed by the salt. This is my 3rd digi-fish cam so far.

I'm looking into these:
Olympus Stylus 720 (waterproof)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Bushnell Outdoor
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Bonica Snapper-XP
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
Old 07-10-2006, 04:57 PM   #12
lamb

Afran,

I picked up Olympus Stylus 720 a couple of days ago, right before my 2 day offshore trip. My old Canon got splashed and died last weekend... Waterproof part definitely sold me on it.

Keep in mind it is waterproof only up to 10ft (so they say). I'm sure the salt water adds another layer to worry about, so I figured I won't even try. That is just handy with the accidental splashes.

It's 7.1 mps, up to 3074 x 2304 resolution. Easy to use, and it has a bunch of pre-programed shooting modes you can easily switch to. I haven't messed with it a lot; I was just doing the point and shoot, and the pics turned out pretty good. The camera wasn’t even in the “best quality” mode, it was in 1 level below (I realized that later on :roll: ).

Can’t really see since they are resized, but the pics came our pretty sharp. Just got it, but so far - I'm happy with it. I can't wait to test it more on some lamb in my lap.

Old 07-10-2006, 06:11 PM   #13
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Adi, that's a bad ass lamb-dolphin shot!! 8)

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:24 PM   #14
Afran
fishy

Thanks for the product report. It seems like it's a quality unit. *Splash proof and 7.1. Nice shots!
Afran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:04 AM   #15
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNuts
Speaking of trolling, I've seen kayakers out there with over 100 yds of line out trolling. If you have more than 100 ft out you've got too much.
Not necessarily. 100 yrds is a lot but there are times when more than 100ft can be useful. More important is that everyone pay attention where their lines are going.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:48 PM   #16
Ryan The Sealion

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNuts
Speaking of trolling, I've seen kayakers out there with over 100 yds of line out trolling. If you have more than 100 ft out you've got too much.
Not necessarily. 100 yrds is a lot but there are times when more than 100ft can be useful. More important is that everyone pay attention where their lines are going.
^ true but then you have a 90% chance of getting cut off by some dipshit in a skiff... you def get bit better farther from the yak tho...bait stays down too..
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:28 PM   #17
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

with one far, it makes it easy to put a second out halfway between.....keeps line from tangling, which allow you the captain to keep your eyes out for important things....
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:47 PM   #18
Iceman
Administrator

Back to camera talk :lol: I picked up one of these today, wanted something more like an SLR, has an anti shake 12X op zoom that should work well rolling around out there. I can not resist a deal supposed to take killer video as well. Hope to try it manana.

Old 07-12-2006, 01:24 PM   #19
Afran
fishy

Looking forward to seeing the shots.
I've changed over to a tupaware container for camera housing.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:17 PM   #20
lamb

Andy, why don't you like it? Too big?