Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
min-va

My first kayak!! Can't wait!

Been shore fishing for 5 years, and rental skiff fishing and charter boat once a while....

Finally got a kayak rack setup for my car and finally got my first kayak last Sunday, a cobra explorer!!

There are 2 harbors I've been fishing many times with skiff and shore, Newport and Dana, i knew Dana point pretty well, since is small. But still not sure where i should launch my kayak in Newport, any suggestion? because there are many private areas in Newport harbor, got kicked out many times...

Also i will try to practice my skill only in harbors now, after a while, see if anyone interest go outside of the harbor with me

Wish one day i can catch a yellowtail on my kayak in La Jolla kelp...
min-va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
mtnbykr2

Newport launch is at the coast guard station, easy to get lost tryin to find it lol, but vary nice fishing area just keep an eye on the boat traffic...some real nice areas just south of the harbor entrance...there is a link to directions in here somewhere...welcome to the addiction and congrats on the new yak, keep at it, the YT will come
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
ctfphoto

We bought our first kayak (two seater) about 3 months ago. I took me 6 months to talk my wife into letting us get this for us and two children. It took me about a week and a half to talk her into getting the second kayak

About 2 months ago I found out about kayak fishing after purchasing 2 kayaks.

Turns out the Tarpon 120 I bought myself was a pretty good choice for fishing for the price.

Now after some research, I really want an outback, talking the wife into that may take a year tho

As to Kayak Fishing, OMG it's one of the funniest things I have done in a long while, I am addicted. I have gone out a least one a week for 2 months straight.

La Jolla is a blast, you should check it out.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Nice to have you on board.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

welcome aboard!

Im fairly new to this addiction myself but loving every trip out. I live in newport and my choice spot to launch is off m street. Take balboa all the way to the end of the penninsula till the road starts to curve towards the wedge. On your left there is a small public swim area with a dock. Always meet up with other kayak anglers in the early hours there as well. Plus if you chose to purchase bait since its harder to jig up bait inside the harbor, the baitbarge is right there. Shoot me a pm if you would like to meet up some time soon. I go out a few times a week and I'm always open for company.
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
min-va

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
Im fairly new to this addiction myself but loving every trip out. I live in newport and my choice spot to launch is off m street. Take balboa all the way to the end of the penninsula till the road starts to curve towards the wedge. On your left there is a small public swim area with a dock. Always meet up with other kayak anglers in the early hours there as well. Plus if you chose to purchase bait since its harder to jig up bait inside the harbor, the baitbarge is right there. Shoot me a pm if you would like to meet up some time soon. I go out a few times a week and I'm always open for company.
After i looked at google map.......i know where is the m street, been fishing at that dock a few times..yea, that looks like a good place to launch!

Lucky you....live in Newport and able to fish few times a week!! JEALOUS!!
Old 10-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
DanaPT

Quote:
I go out a few times a week and I'm always open for company.

That's awesome to go out that often.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:56 AM   #8
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post

That's awesome to go out that often.
My arms are getting HUGE from how many times I lift my 16 footer in and out of my truck each week! HAA!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:00 AM   #9
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

By the way min-va. I don't know if you have considered this but the warm season is coming to and end and the water will be getting quite cold. If you want to continue this obsession into the winter months you should look into a good drysuit. Everyone will tell you its not if but when you fall in.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:23 AM   #10
min-va

Quote:
By the way min-va. I don't know if you have considered this but the warm season is coming to and end and the water will be getting quite cold. If you want to continue this obsession into the winter months you should look into a good drysuit. Everyone will tell you its not if but when you fall in.
Drysuit is a must i think, but as a beginner, i don't know anything about it, should do some research on it too...tks for the advise.
But fall into the ocean sounds scary for me, even i know a lot about sharks and seals, and i don't think i am that lucky to be a target, but for some reason, i still have that fear in mind
Old 10-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #11
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

It is a common fear but one that is quickly overcome and is replaced by respect. When you respect your surroundings you can be more prepaired. and I'm more afraid of a big ol sealion then I am a shark. I woke one up that was sleeping the other day and almost pissed in my waders when he charged me
Old 10-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #12
Amish Ed

Welcome to the fun. I think a dry suit is probably overkill around here. But, a dry top and waders (or dry pants) would be good. Don't worry about the sharks, especially as you'll be spending lots of time in the harbors and near shore. Dogs can be a little dicey. Just watch where you're paddling and don't hit them
Old 10-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #13
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Welcome to the fun. I think a dry suit is probably overkill around here. But, a dry top and waders (or dry pants) would be good. Don't worry about the sharks, especially as you'll be spending lots of time in the harbors and near shore. Dogs can be a little dicey. Just watch where you're paddling and don't hit them
Think so on the drysuit? Just wondering.....since I use this setup at the moment. I have hodgman breathable waders and a light waterproof breathable hurricane jacket I wear under it. What happens when you dump while wearing this? Since the waders are open top with a drawstring they would fill with water and you would need to shed them. Doesn't this kinda pose a problem a mile off shore in january? We live in socal but the water is still pretty f'n cold in the middle of winter. I'm just wondering cuz I was looking into a drysuit to have as well as my waders. if its not necissary then that's great since they can be pretty pricey
Old 10-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #14
min-va

Quote:
Not really worry about sharks in the harbor, just in case i am out in the open ocean, but that will take some times before i do that, and maybe after i upgrade my kayak into a offshore version, a cobra explorer is kind of small to go too far, but thanks for the advise for the dogs..will keep distance from them~
Old 10-20-2011, 10:47 AM   #15
ctfphoto

I wouldn't worry about sharks at all, does your kayak look like a seal

I do think I saw the Great White a month and a half ago when he was hanging out San Diego.

Plus in a place like La Jolla their are so many seals, sea lions, and swimmers that the sharks would much prefer them as a meal as opposed to plastic.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:52 AM   #16
RK

Sharks in the pacific ????
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:15 AM   #17
Amish Ed

William, Jim Sammons did a video where he jumped into a pool in various types of waders and such. Anyways, bib style waders and a dry top did fine.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #18
Caden
Homeless will fish 4 food

Quote:
Originally Posted by min-va View Post
Been shore fishing for 5 years, and rental skiff fishing and charter boat once a while....

Finally got a kayak rack setup for my car and finally got my first kayak last Sunday, a cobra explorer!!

There are 2 harbors I've been fishing many times with skiff and shore, Newport and Dana, i knew Dana point pretty well, since is small. But still not sure where i should launch my kayak in Newport, any suggestion? because there are many private areas in Newport harbor, got kicked out many times...

Also i will try to practice my skill only in harbors now, after a while, see if anyone interest go outside of the harbor with me

Wish one day i can catch a yellowtail on my kayak in La Jolla kelp...
welcome bro! launch the yak at newport, just exit 55 and keep going straight pass balboa pier, keeping going till u see it spilt in half, keep left and keep going until u see a wooden pier on ur left. that is where u launch your yak, parking is free, just watch out for street cleaning.
good luck
Caden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #19
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
William, Jim Sammons did a video where he jumped into a pool in various types of waders and such. Anyways, bib style waders and a dry top did fine.
Well there it is there! Awesome video thanks for sharing that. It def cleared up any worries I had about the "deadly waders" myth. That's a very similar setup I have.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:57 PM   #20
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Think so on the drysuit? Just wondering.....since I use this setup at the moment. I have hodgman breathable waders and a light waterproof breathable hurricane jacket I wear under it. What happens when you dump while wearing this? Since the waders are open top with a drawstring they would fill with water and you would need to shed them. Doesn't this kinda pose a problem a mile off shore in january? We live in socal but the water is still pretty f'n cold in the middle of winter. I'm just wondering cuz I was looking into a drysuit to have as well as my waders. if its not necissary then that's great since they can be pretty pricey
Check Jim Sammons post on waders in the water, interesting maybe try it in a pool for yourself, also like they said respect your surroundings, you can always wear a wetsuit, I haven't tried it, sold all of mine but a friend of mine wears one in the cold, never asked him, what he does when he has to give back his morning coffee though...lol
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote