Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
Freespool

If you can pin their head against the kayak with their mouth against the kayak, they can't really bite you. They're actually like alligators, they can bite down hard but they can't open up very easily at all. One hand could keep that mouth shut while the other holds the tail. Then your friend could pull out the hook.
Freespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
Geoffkoop

Cool! Once I had his tail and grabbed his back, my buddy turned the camera off and pulled the hooks out with pliers pretty easily. The poor little guy's mouth was bleeding pretty good after having the trebles yanked out though. He swam off really strong so im sure he's fine.

You can kinda see it in the video, but he had a large wound on his belly right under the fin. Maybe a boat prop? larger shark?
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
MalibuJohnny

Bite

Man...you got some nuts! no F%*$)in way! see the teeth on that thing!

Little pup or not...very long needle nose or new lure!

Old 10-14-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
forefrazier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespool View Post
Then your friend could pull out the hook.
You must have some good friends!
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
THE DARKHORSE

Nice to meet you, Geoff.

From the swinging iron behind your head to the ticking time-bomb in your hands,
tough choice, but I'll go with the Mako .

Besides being run over by a drunk powerboater, the closest you'll ever come to dieing on a kayak is dealing with Mako Sharks. Maybe not that little guy, but give him a season and I'll cut the line without even thinking about it. Also, one of many reasons I'd never use a plug with multiple treble hooks again, certainly not in La Jolla from a kayak.

Years ago I hooked a Mako between 125-150 lbs on my favorite surface-iron at the time. That damb iron was ridiculous, caught tons of Yellowtail and I guarded it like gold. Foolishly, I had thoughts of trying to retrieve my iron...while the shark jumped right next to the kayak. Again and again! A few times he landed within a couple feet of the kayak leaving me completely soaked. My plan was to use my gaff and grab on the treble hook as the fish was circling the kayak, the same way you might bounce a Skipjack off a troll jig if you wanted to release them. Sounds simple, right? Nope. About five minutes into the ordeal the Mako sounds deep, then the line went slack. This was a spooky feeling as I looked over the side just in time to see a large fish with a mouth full of sharp teeth flying straight up from the depths. I braced myself just before he slammed the bottom of the X-Factor. If I hadn't been on that stable craft I surely would of been ejected by the impact, or atleast rolled. Keep in mind a Mako Sharks mouth is constantly chomping while doing those crazy airborne antics. If they were to jump and land on you, which is highly likely if you keep messing with those guys, it could get ugly real quick. Try paddling to shore while bleeding out if they hit one of many arteries .

Hands down, the creapiest part about Mako Sharks is their not intimidated in the least. I'm sure that Mako, as tiny as he is, actually thought he could kick both your asses. The reality is, most all Mako Sharks up to two hundred pounds don't fight much...until boatside. As soon as you set the hook they go airborne, then the line goes slack as they swim straight to the boat. Checking out the competition, maybe? They save all their energy for the end game...No Thanks!
Old 10-14-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
Geoffkoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post

From the swinging iron behind your head to the ticking time-bomb in your hands,
tough choice, but I'll go with the Mako .

Besides being run over by a drunk powerboater, the closest you'll ever come to dieing on a kayak is dealing with Mako Sharks. Maybe not that little guy, but give him a season and I'll cut the line without even thinking about it. Also, one of many reasons I'd never use a plug with multiple treble hooks again, certainly not in La Jolla from a kayak.

Years ago I hooked a Mako between 125-150 lbs on my favorite surface-iron at the time. That damb iron was ridiculous, caught tons of Yellowtail and I guarded it like gold. Foolishly, I had thoughts of trying to retrieve my iron...while the shark jumped right next to the kayak. Again and again! A few times he landed within a couple feet of the kayak leaving me completely soaked. My plan was to use my gaff and grab on the treble hook as the fish was circling the kayak, the same way you might bounce a Skipjack off a troll jig if you wanted to release them. Sounds simple, right? Nope. About five minutes into the ordeal the Mako sounds deep, then the line went slack. This was a spooky feeling as I looked over the side just in time to see a large fish with a mouth full of sharp teeth flying straight up from the depths. I braced myself just before he slammed the bottom of the X-Factor. If I hadn't been on that stable craft I surely would of been ejected by the impact, or atleast rolled. Keep in mind a Mako Sharks mouth is constantly chomping while doing those crazy airborne antics. If they were to jump and land on you, which is highly likely if you keep messing with those guys, it could get ugly real quick. Try paddling to shore while bleeding out if they hit one of many arteries .

Hands down, the creapiest part about Mako Sharks is their not intimidated in the least. I'm sure that Mako, as tiny as he is, actually thought he could kick both your asses. The reality is, most all Mako Sharks up to two hundred pounds don't fight much...until boatside. As soon as you set the hook they go airborne, then the line goes slack as they swim straight to the boat. Checking out the competition, maybe? They save all their energy for the end game...No Thanks!
Nice to meet you too. I am glad you shared all the pointers on here as neither of us had ever hooked up to a mako. I could imagine how this could quickly turn ugly. But for the record, that iron is NOT swinging behind my head like it looks. I have clear zip tie loops for my rod leashes to hook on (look closely and you can see them). That is what the iron is sinched on. Definitely not swinging near my head.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #7
THE DARKHORSE

Talking Good to know, Geoff.

So that just leaves playing with ticking time-bombs and plugs with multiple treble hooks. Trust me, forget the multiple treble-hooked baits. Reguardless of what species you're after. If you're releasing just about any fish, especially Bonita, those plugs do some major damage. Not to mention, spending way too much time while Knothead is probably close by, watching closely.

I think they suck for catching WSB (even though they do draw strikes), since those other hooks get stuck in the kelp and your prize will just shake off.

They suck for Thresher Sharks (even though they do draw strikes), because they'll almost always end up tail-hooked. Tail hooked Threshers will often die, especially when the average kayaker isn't using heavy enough gear to plane up the dead weight of a fish over 100 lbs. Not only does it suck for the fish, but besides getting killed by a Mako Shark or drunk powerboater...getting slapped by the tail of a Thresher Shark with a Rapala . Can you say free trip to the abyss? Imagine taking your last breath while being dragged to the bottom. The lobsters would probably be stoked, though .

And they suck for Yellowtail (even though they might sometimes draw a strike), especially if fishing anywhere near structure. More often than not, compounded by the fact that most guys aren't fishing all that heavy of gear with those baits, a Yellowtail will end up swimming off with a mouth welded shut by two or three treble hooks, a.k.a. dead Yellowtail. If I left a plug with three trebles in every Yellowtail I've lost, I would quit fishing from the guilt. In closing, I understand it's tough to make bait sometimes, but there are just too many other options that are not only more effective, but less dangerous to you and the fish.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:00 PM   #8
Geoffkoop

Will keep all of it in mind. Tail slapped by a treble-hooked thresher wouldnt be a good thing. Making bait wasnt the problem for us...The problem were the bonito raking our baits.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:38 PM   #9
Sloberdog
Junior

Darkhorse makes some good points regarding those big trebles and crazy Mako's. Check out what happens when you mix a kayak fisherman, Threshers, and a trebble hook, it starts at 13:25 at http://www.myoutdoortv.com/video/video.php?v=OTMrfvOd--8_Cop7lZwI7k4ft6hV-atx

I was there with "Quilted Germ" (Greg), when he called me over to check out the Mako pup going after the remains of his Bonito head. That little guy was not even hooked and made a very strong effort to stick his head out of the water in effort to bite my Outback, it was like cartoon, kinda funny but only because he was a pup. Not sure how funny it would be if he was 100 lbs bigger.
Sloberdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:52 PM   #10
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Now I gots to chime in....

I do agree with alot of the points Josh made about Makos.

Younger days, a friend and I would diesel out on his Cal 27', leave the slip around 10, and take turns doing the dog shifts, as we called it.

By early morning, we'd hit the shipping lanes, about 50-60 miles out. We'd then set the sails and troll Rapalas for Makos, our technique was to land the bigger boys, tail rope 'em, tie them off to the rails, and pour cheap gin or vodka down their body til it hit their gills...knock 'em out for 5 minutes or so, gut them and bleed them, leave them hanging from the rails for about half hour or so.

One time, brought one on board a bit too early, after he bled out for what we thought was enough time...as we started to chop at his neck to lop his head off, he went ballistic. They are the pit bulls of the sea, but with no training.

As far as using trebles (Rapalas) for threshers, I disagree. I think it is the best way to land them, their tails tag them, easy release, and if you wanna keep them, easiest way to land them as the tail is right where you want it. Just grab the tail, tuck it under your arm, flip 'em over, and play the waiting game.

Yes I love the taste of thresher, but I keep it to a minimum...

I fear Mako pups...kinda like a young rattler who can't control his venom. Was out with Boz one time, we were having fun playing with a pup who was slicing, literally, our macs in half...with me (dumbarse) trying to grab him by the tail...then his brothers and sisters showed up, we had about 4-5 of them around us...we looked at each other, thought the same thing, oh chit, Momma must be close by, and left the area.

Bigger Makos? No thanks, they, like Josh said, will chomp at anything.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote