Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 04-25-2022, 04:20 PM   #1
Polychrest
Junior

Redondo Beach 4/24/2022: Attacked by bees!

What the hell are a swarm of bee doing 3 miles off shore?! Only got one drop in before they swarmed me. They seemed to like the sail on my TI. I was able to get some speed and booked it out of there. Headed back because I saw a red TI with it’s sail down and the passengers in the water frantically splashing water to keeps the bees away. Told them to peddle out fast but they requested a rescue so I called it in for them. Luckily my passenger only had one bite.

In other news, lots of red tide out there and bait guy has some nice sardines. Is the red tide a good or bad thing, sorry for the newbie question.
Polychrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 06:03 PM   #2
Saba Slayer

WOW...

Thats a weird one...never heard of folks going overboard to avoid bees...
Did Hitomi get stung...?
I was out today and the water looked like red chocolate milk...YUK...
Went deep under the yuk and the Vermillions bit really good and the Calicos were also on the chew once the wind picked up...

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:28 PM   #3
Polychrest
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
Did Hitomi get stung...?
Yep, now we know she isn’t allergic. Luckily Leo slept through the whole thing.
Polychrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 06:43 AM   #4
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polychrest View Post
What the hell are a swarm of bee doing 3 miles off shore?! Only got one drop in before they swarmed me. They seemed to like the sail on my TI. I was able to get some speed and booked it out of there. Headed back because I saw a red TI with it’s sail down and the passengers in the water frantically splashing water to keeps the bees away. Told them to peddle out fast but they requested a rescue so I called it in for them. Luckily my passenger only had one bite.

In other news, lots of red tide out there and bait guy has some nice sardines. Is the red tide a good or bad thing, sorry for the newbie question.
Sounds like a swarm of bees got blown out to sea and your TI looked like a refuge. Glad you escaped relatively unscathed.

Red tide is an algal bloom(phytoplanktons, which are microscopic single-celled marine plants) that releases toxins. It can occur naturally, but pollution runoff has increased its frequency. Agricultural runoff has been known to cause major blooms on the SW Coast of Florida killing birds, dolphins, turtles, thousands of fish and closing beaches for months. In SoCal, the impact is less, but filter shellfish such as clams and mussels are frequently contaminated making them unsafe to eat.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 05:51 AM   #5
AlwaysFishing

Glad everyone was safe. That is some scary sheit there.
I was out on Monday and the water was still brown. Current was barely moving most of the morning. Water temp was around 63-64 degrees.
Got some mackerels and was able to limit on Reds but no other Rockfish was biting. Got a Calicos and a good size Sandy on sabiki down by Haggerty's Crane.
AlwaysFishing is offline   Reply With Quote