Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #15
Pescavore1

keratolysis exfoliativa

It appears we have the same problem. According to my dermatologist, the condition I have is known as keratolysis exfoliativa and occurs from prolonged exposure to water.

http://www.dermnet.org.nz/dermatitis...ratolysis.html
http://www.dermnet.com/Keratolysis-Exfoliativa.

My hands would swell up after a day of fishing and become raw and sting. Couple of days later, the skin would harden, become numb, and peel off in layers as thick as 5-6 sheets of newspaper. I use to think it was from paddling but the problem did not improve after I switched to a Hobie. I then discovered that it was the constant exposure to water that caused it – from handling bait, constantly putting my hands in the bait well, tying off to kelp, etc. Even when I’m fishing the iron, my hands still get wet.

Over time, my sensitivity to water seems to have gotten worse. There does not appear to be a way to prevent it other than to keep my hands dry. I now wear gloves to minimize exposure to water. I usually go through 2 or 3 pairs of gloves everytime I fish. My dermatologist recently prescribed Salitop Cream which I think is helping but I’m not sure.

In support of your desire to get a Hobie, I will say this: peddling does keep your hands dry.

I also want to make this very clear to everyone reading this: I do not suffer from monkey-buttus exfoliativa.
Pescavore1 is offline   Reply With Quote