Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
yakman619
HMFIC

La Jolla-Is anything West of the Buoy line fair game?

I'm heading out to La Jolla tomorrow, and plan on targeting rockfish. I've had my kayak for a couple months, and have not caught anything I can bring home yet (been fishing southbay quite a bit, not so sure I want to keep anything out of there)...I hope to change this tomorrow.

Looking at the layout of La Jolla, the edge of the canyon just out side the bouy line looks promising... I just want to confirm; is anywhere outside the buoy line fair game to fish? This will be my second time out there, and don't want DFG kicking my dog and pissing in my cheerios for poaching.

Thanks in advance for setting me straight!

Last edited by yakman619; 05-04-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Mistake!
yakman619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
Hellboy1500

If you go to the california fish and game web page it has the areas in red and blue as to where and what you can fish. it is set up by gps cords. I don't have gps and i just go off the point of lj and then there is a street nautilas or something like that that is the start of the other red and blue areas. if you just familurize youself with the surrounding area via google map you can kind of determine where you are at on the water. Also if you got a decent phone and put it in a ziplock or have a water proof case you can check it to make sure you are where you need to be or not be.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/
Hellboy1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
Baja_Traveler

There is one smaller buoy out there (who knows where the rest of them went), and when I paddled by it my gps still showed me within the MPA area. I'm pretty sure you have to paddle about 100 yards west of that buoy to be clear of the MPA.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

2 weeks ago I received a written warning from dfg for fishing within an mlpa and I was nowhere near the bouy. According to the official that write me up it's 100yards out. Why they haven't moved the bouys is a mystery to me.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

If you launch early enough you can fish wherever you want.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
GregAndrew

They do not plan to move any of the current buoys, nor will they install new ones that show the new boundaries. We are all expected to know exactly where they all are and carry GPS to make sure that we are not in them. This situation brought to you by your friendly econazi extremists.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
yakman619
HMFIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
If you launch early enough you can fish wherever you want.
I like the way you think
yakman619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
mbaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
2 weeks ago I received a written warning from dfg for fishing within an mlpa and I was nowhere near the bouy. According to the official that write me up it's 100yards out. Why they haven't moved the bouys is a mystery to me.
Did you get the ticket on the water or back at the launch?
mbaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
Big T
Member, You Member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
Why they haven't moved the bouys is a mystery to me.
Because the entire process, motives, budget and ethics were bankrupt from the start... they have no money left to pay to enforce the stupid things let alone MOVE THEM. So I'd imagine the bass ackwards way OF financing the madness is to ticket people and impose fines due to such a deficiency. I dunno. Just sayin'.
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
RK

What's an MPA? No hablo ingles
RK is offline   Reply With Quote