Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2015, 07:00 AM   #1
phisher_man bossin-it
Junior

Transducer mounts

Saving up to get a new fishfinder for my 'yak in the neXT few weeks. (Trying to decide between lowrance elite 5 chirp, raymarine dragonfly5, or hds 5, want a unit with good readings and would really like a chartplotter).

I was curious how many of you on here have the transducer mounted through the scupper hole and how you like the transducer mounted there? Seems like a pretty cool way to mount it and I would think you would have a much more accurate reading with the transducer being fully submerged?

Any comments/advice on the mount and units I'm trying to decide on (or possibly other units I should look into as well) is appreciated.

Thank you
phisher_man bossin-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:17 AM   #2
Starsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisher_man bossin-it View Post
Saving up to get a new fishfinder for my 'yak in the neXT few weeks. (Trying to decide between lowrance elite 5 chirp, raymarine dragonfly5, or hds 5, want a unit with good readings and would really like a chartplotter).

I was curious how many of you on here have the transducer mounted through the scupper hole and how you like the transducer mounted there? Seems like a pretty cool way to mount it and I would think you would have a much more accurate reading with the transducer being fully submerged?

Any comments/advice on the mount and units I'm trying to decide on (or possibly other units I should look into as well) is appreciated.

Thank you
I use a Dragonfly 4 Pro on my Hobie Tandem Outfitter, so far I like it. I used a Ram mount over the side transducer arm. IMO Scrupper mount transducers are only good if your kayak was made with a special scrupper for the transducer to sit it. The putty method inside the hull and over the side seem like the most popular.
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:29 AM   #3
Murray

I am considering the chirp 5 with 50/200 trans at wm for $499. Promo includes a choice of mapping chips. Also looking at magnetic trans mount or wet inside kayak tran mount.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:51 PM   #4
FISH11

I love my HDS5 and would replace it with the same if I needed to in a heart beat. I mount my HDS5 transducer (now on my Cuda 14 and had it before on my X Factor) through the scupper hole. I found the I can use a 1" PVC riser and end cap. I cut the riser to the length needed. The threaded end I put the end cap (which I drilled out the top of to allow the transducer cable to pass through), the non threaded end I heated up with a heat gun and squashed the end so the transducer mounting end fits inside and than drill a hole to pass a short stainless bolt and nut through it. The transducer fits into the recess under the hull. It fits almost flush to the bottom and does not get in the way. The cost of the parts is super cheap. The readings are so much better when the transducer is in the water.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:16 PM   #5
Murray

Fish 11..........do you have any pics?
Old 10-24-2015, 08:28 PM   #6
JohnMckroidJr

I use a dragonfly 7 -- love the picture and software usability, but relaibility issues keep me from recommending it. I am on my 4th unit in 15 months, so it is safe to say that I did not just have a lemon. Transducer set up in the lowrance ready scupper on the PA14 and like it there. Also have used the Lowrance LSS-2 and Raymarine CP-200 using a Ram arm over the side, and later out the scupper hole. I found the ram arm very unstable and not worth using. I later made an out the scupper hole rig that I put in place via the mirage drive opening once on the water. The scupper rig was more stable, but the drag on the kayak speed out-weighed the benefit for offshore with these early generation structure scan units. I still use it inshore when I am not planning a long transit. There are lots of good brands of fish finders, but I like the ones with Chirp technology over the ones that don't have it. Whatever fishfinder you end up buying, spend the extra bucks for the warranty. If you fish offshore you will be glad that you did.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:47 PM   #7
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post
Fish 11..........do you have any pics?
Just went out and took these with my phone, hope they are good enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151024_213437.jpg (40.4 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 20151024_213709.jpg (19.2 KB, 95 views)
Old 10-24-2015, 09:08 PM   #8
Murray

thank you sir.....just what I needed.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:03 AM   #9
phisher_man bossin-it
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Just went out and took these with my phone, hope they are good enough.
That is exactly how I was thinking of mounting the transducer. I figured the transducer should fit pretty flush in the little channel underneath my kayak (x-13).

Do you remove your transducer before landing and do you install it after you launch?
Old 10-25-2015, 09:59 AM   #10
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisher_man bossin-it View Post
That is exactly how I was thinking of mounting the transducer. I figured the transducer should fit pretty flush in the little channel underneath my kayak (x-13).

Do you remove your transducer before landing and do you install it after you launch?
I also have an X13 and will soon be relocating that transducer for my Elite 4. That 83-200Hz transducer is a lot smaller and fits really flush on the X Factor. No removing the transducer. It's on there all the time. I always have the unit not powered on when launching or landing through the surf. I lost a Elite 4 before when I rolled it on a landing at LJ and the unit was powered, kayak was upside down for about 5 minutes because I had a treble hook form an Iron stuck through my water shoe and trying to go into my foot everytime a wave would hit me in waist deep water. Had to walk it in to shallower water to reach my knife to cut the fishing line. I now always remove all lures and shut down the unit on landings.

Last edited by FISH11; 10-25-2015 at 10:07 AM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:47 PM   #11
phisher_man bossin-it
Junior

This really helped thank you!