Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Coulda, Shoulda, But I didn't

I know what a lot of you guys are thinking when you see a post made by The Kid. You are probably thinking, “This guy is a hater of all other species other than yellowtail.” While this might increase my standards, and limits what I catch out there in La Jolla I will say, with firm belief that there is nothing, NOTHING like sight fishing in La Jolla especially when the tool of choice is a surface iron. I don’t care how good a seabass might taste to some or how appealing searching for a brown crap stain on the ocean floor is to others. When it comes down to it no one can make an argument to show that either of those two are more fun than sight fishing yellowtail and picking them off with a surface iron (please try in your response below).

Anyways I’ve been ragging on the gambling souls in this year’s WCW for its awesome turn out for searching for a slam. I will say right off the bat, that if you achieve a slam within a set time period your abilities are phenomenal as a fisherman. But for me, it is simply not appealing to chase the two other prized species in any way other than wide open white seabass bites or a wide open halibut bites. With so much time on my hands I was debating whether to join the WCW on the evening 5/30/11. If I am going to fish every other day at least (unless the surf looks like it does right now) I might as well and give WCW submitters and especially The Darkhorse some hell.
But I didn’t! Why? I need the money!

Joe: “But it’s just $25”.

Ya ,$25 I can’t afford to let go! So with that in mind I launched the yak with my buddies Cowboybill and R&B into some sinister looking surf. It was not the most fun launch I have had, but I wasn’t soaked. I continued to the outside picking up baits here and there. There wasn’t much bait at all and continued outside and draggin’, and on my way to grab a celebratory beer from deepdvr.

And here we go! A nice school shows and all quality fish. They were definitely my kind of fish. Watching and waiting for the right moment to pull the trigger, I do the kayak side shuffle and I see R&B checking me out. Pick my moment toss my jig of choice and all I see is a white flurry, I feel a bump bump, but no hookup. “What the f***!?”, I yelled in my head as the b*****ds followed me all the way to the yak. “Alright here we go!” pulled up to them make the money shot, a white wash of yellows with a skipping jig. “Mother f*****! Eat it you dirty, yellow belly, sons of………………..” well you get the point. Once again side shuffle make the cast white flurry and wait what, “Oh ya!” as I sank that jig deep into the yellow’s jaw. 2 minute fight on the Ulua and bled out in 3, nice size ‘bout 25.

Strap that fish down, sip on my newly acquired Sapporo, thanks to the dvr, and peddle my butt back around. Cowboybill is on my right Whizzbang on my left and right in between them, more hungry brute yellows. “Bill they’re right behind you,” I yelled as I grabbed my Ulua and flew that jig over the lead fish and watch the mass devastation occur. Two blow ups, tossing my jig out of the air and skipping it on the water let it gather itself. Burn the jig and here she comes! Queen Latifa opened her mouth as wide as she could like the jig was the last Snickers on Earth and the ride began. She runs nearly 100 yrds straight out, I reel like a tweeker spinning a bicycle tire and get straight up and down. Do the grind, gaff sank 2 min 33-35 lb. Well satified i finish my heavenly nectar and continue the search. Should have joined the WCW, but I didn’t.

The strikes came 5 min between each other, and might have continued to produce but Mother Nature is fickle. This is the fishing I love and rarely will I spend my time doing any other kind of fishing. Surface irons are where it is at and no one, NO ONE, can sway this notion away from me. Rarely will I post, but for the sake of surface iron fisherman out there, they can appreciate what I am saying? As I say a lot, “There is nothing like a surface iron fish. NOTHING!!!”
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote