Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
LBKayakDude

Advice halibut fishing santa monica bay

I guess halibut has been on alot of people's minds 😊 I've really been wanting to target some halibut and have always heard Santa Monica bay can hold some nice ones.

I've seen on my map it looks promising in areas between Will Rogers state beach all the way down to Malaga cove. Noticed driving past will rogers the other day it looked like a decent place to launch from but couldn't confirm from my quick drive by.

Not lookin for anyone's secret spots 😁 But being from long beach the whole area is new to me. Any advice on where to park / launch from or anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time 👍
LBKayakDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #2
Hunters Pa

Take what I do and do the opposite
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:58 PM   #3
jorluivil

I would give you advise but I haven't caught a quality halibut since June

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:09 PM   #4
fishnfoool

You don't have to go too far if you live in long beach and targeting halibut. I was just fishing on thanksgiving in long beach. Launched from 72nd place. Trolled around with lucky crafts and caught 4 halibuts, but could of probably caught more if i had brought a sabiki rig with very small hooks to catch some smelt for live bait. If I had live bait, I would carolina rig .5 ounce to 1 ounce slider and very slow troll them next to beach.
I will probably go again on monday. If you can make it, join me. Around 830. Have to drop off daughter at school first, but will fish until about 3.
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
LBKayakDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfoool View Post
You don't have to go too far if you live in long beach and targeting halibut. I was just fishing on thanksgiving in long beach. Launched from 72nd place. Trolled around with lucky crafts and caught 4 halibuts, but could of probably caught more if i had brought a sabiki rig with very small hooks to catch some smelt for live bait. If I had live bait, I would carolina rig .5 ounce to 1 ounce slider and very slow troll them next to beach.
I will probably go again on monday. If you can make it, join me. Around 830. Have to drop off daughter at school first, but will fish until about 3.
That's awesome man thanks. That's usually where we go since I live just ten min away. We usually launch at the little boat launch where u can drive car out, just up from 72nd st jettis.

Haven't had much luck yet but I'm still up for trying. I do plan on going soon so I'll pm u if we can make it monday. Thanks again I really appreciate it
Old 11-29-2014, 10:45 PM   #6
fishnfoool

No problem, by the way, when trolling, try to stay close to shore if conditions permit. When the halibuts start spawning in late march and april. The halibut fishing is super hot there.
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:09 AM   #7
Aznronin

There's no secret to it. You just have to put a lot of time in on the water.
Aznronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:46 AM   #8
LBKayakDude

But I want the secrets!!! Please make it easy for me lol Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I will just go for it.
Does anyone know if I was right about launching at Will Rogers? It looked like it was close to the water considering me and my buddy don't have wheel carts I always look for a close spot to the water. Thanks again.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:01 PM   #9
Scoot
Scoot

The bu!

Seen 40lb butts off the pier back in the
day!! Across from seafood spot ?? Corral
Canyon, best butt fishin ever seen from
yak! Esco! Been awhile for me up there!
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:42 PM   #10
Scoot
Scoot

Tonanga too!
Old 11-30-2014, 01:46 PM   #11
Scoot
Scoot

Topanga DUH!!
Old 11-30-2014, 02:02 PM   #12
LBKayakDude

Was planning on heading towards Topanga area to start and then work south. Good to hear you mention it as well. Thanks alot dude, I really appreciate it.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #13
radastaff

pm sent
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote