Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2008, 07:53 AM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Revo Accessory Bar w/ Rodholders

I built this mod a few months ago, and have used it on the water a number of times. It works great.

The problem that I was trying to solve is that on the Revo, the molded rod holders are positioned too far back to allow for easy access. They also do not angle away from the boat the way I prefer while trolling.

The solution, build an accessory bar that fits in the molded rod holders. Using a combination of 1.25" PVC and 1.5" ABS plus a few fittings, I came up with what you see in the photos below.

Rather than gluing everything together, I decided to make this device in three pieces for easy transport and storage. The two side pieces fit in the molded rod holders. The top piece, once attached, (fricton fit only), locks everything in place. The assembled bar is very stable and stiff.

When on the water, I find that it is much easier for me to reach the rods stored in the holders on this bar. In addition, the rods are angled out in a better trolling position. Just to be safe, I attached a couple rod leashes to the bar.

So far, I have only used this device to hold my rods. There are many other potential uses. The top bar has a lot of space to mount other accessories. Some ideas that come to mind are lights, net or gaff holders, flag mast... The possibilities are nearly endless. The best thing is that you can easily experiment without drilling mounting holes in the kayak.

The total cost to build this trolling bar came to about $20.

Bob

Trolling-Bar-Sections-sm.jpg

Trolling-Bar-2-sm.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
h2ofishfo

dud thats sweet smart thinkin wtg
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #3
hobieuser

Very nice works. I'm gonna build my own.
hobieuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Bob nice!

What is the FF setup?

marco
Old 07-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #5
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

FF Setup

I cannot take credit for the fish finder mount. I got the idea from some posts that I saw a few months ago and refined it a bit. Basically, you just attach some platform that is large enough to mount the fish finder to some 1/2" PVC pipe and stick the mount in the Hobie sail hole. Electrical tape makes the pipe fit snugly. I used a bunch of reducer fittings to make the platform and then glued a rubber pad to the fittings. The fish finder is attached to the rubber by screws. It works great.

The unit is out of the way, easy to see and easily removable. Batteries are inside the kayak and cables are run through the hull. Some people have drilled holes in the kayak for the cables. I just run mine under the front hatch lid. The setup is not completely waterproof but then neither is the hatch without the cables.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:09 PM   #6
mg2969

I ran mine through the sail mast and through the PVC. Eagle's have the small connector that do that.

Here my post from a few months ago

This is my design
Using the sail mast receptacle
However I detached the original base and crafted a double pivot base with a transducer wire pass through

Hope this is helpful

None of the pieces are glued down especially the cap
Sometimes you might need to take a section off to more easily pass the wire

The whole assembly goes into the sail mast receptacle including the pass through wires

Just
1. 1 2ft piece of 1/2 PVC
2. 1 four-way T
3. 4 90deg elbows
4. a 1/2 cap -drilled
5. 4 spare sections of 1/2 pvc l(like 2 in maybe each)
6. 4 in or so piece of 1/2 in pvc

- Look ma no hands
mg2969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:17 PM   #7
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Thanks for the FF mount info....off to home depot!
Old 07-06-2008, 07:43 PM   #8
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

Very cool and innovative, thanks for sharing!
Old 07-07-2008, 05:14 AM   #9
dorf

Very nice!
I have been working on a simular system for the back. I will be adding 2 more mounts for my Gaff and net as well as the side rod holders.

I origanally had the same idea for the FF but opted for a closer mount to the seat. I still use the mast mount for my cone light for night time. I have it on an elbow joint for multi-directional lighting.

Thank you Waldo Semon and B.F Goodrich for making PVC what it is today.