Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
jorluivil

Lowrance HDS-5

I'm in the market for one, what's a fair price for this unit right now? I did find a few on Ebay but the prices are all over the place. It has to have GPS, I'm not about to do like Matt and use palm trees and buoys and birds and airplanes and clouds and street signs as coordinates.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
jruiz
Large Member

What do you have now?
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
What do you have now?
Eagle Cuda 350.

Its a great starter unit but I'm ready for something with more power.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
T-Rex

I've been looking at the same unit. I held off buying it because LJ was missing from the Nautic Insight chip, but I guess Navionics has fixed that. Best price I've found was $679.95 from digitaloasis including tax and shipping. Maybe there will be some deals at the Fred Hall show.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
maui jim

Group buy??
Old 02-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I'm in the market for one, what's a fair price for this unit right now? I did find a few on Ebay but the prices are all over the place. It has to have GPS, I'm not about to do like Matt and use palm trees and buoys and birds and airplanes and clouds and street signs as coordinates.
Does it have to be an HDS-5?
I picked up a n Elite 5 DSI-GPS FOR JUST UNDER $400 on eBay just before Xmas (my apologies to OEX). it's been going up ever since. (I think it's now $425+)
When your looking for the HDS units are they LSS Bundle, are they the gen2 w/touch screen? Also some are equipped with different types of transducers (wider/narrower beam combos or occasionally none) or are either Insight/Navionics versions.
Hope this helped some.
Almost bought one for $1499 with all the bells & whistles but if I'm fishing mainly saltwater, I don't really need side scan. When I knew I wanted a HOBIE I thought about an HDS-7 LSS (for the bigger screen) but I started to ask myself do I really need a FF that cost as much as some Paddle kayaks (I had started to entertain the idea of an HDS 10 just because I could).
Having had experience working on or running boats from here to San Diego and spending time with skippers in the wheelhouse , I have collected plenty of coordinates I need for the major structures and high spots locally . Looking forward to adding to my library of waypoints closer to shore and inside local kelp beds which I can't get to in a private or party boat.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
sdfishin..alex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I'm not about to do like Matt and use palm trees and buoys and birds and airplanes and clouds and street signs as coordinates.
hey thats how i do it in lj and ive been pretty succesful....excatly how i do it use the streets and the launch and buoys and so on...ghetto fabulous it works for me... i have the lowrance x67c i love it...but i need to get a gps
sdfishin..alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinYakr View Post
Does it have to be an HDS-5?
I picked up a n Elite 5 DSI-GPS FOR JUST UNDER $400 on eBay just before Xmas (my apologies to OEX). it's been going up ever since. (I think it's now $425+)
When your looking for the HDS units are they LSS Bundle, are they the gen2 w/touch screen? Also some are equipped with different types of transducers (wider/narrower beam combos or occasionally none) or are either Insight/Navionics versions.
Hope this helped some.
Almost bought one for $1499 with all the bells & whistles but if I'm fishing mainly saltwater, I don't really need side scan. When I knew I wanted a HOBIE I thought about an HDS-7 LSS (for the bigger screen) but I started to ask myself do I really need a FF that cost as much as some Paddle kayaks (I had started to entertain the idea of an HDS 10 just because I could).
Having had experience working on or running boats from here to San Diego and spending time with skippers in the wheelhouse , I have collected plenty of coordinates I need for the major structures and high spots locally . Looking forward to adding to my library of waypoints closer to shore and inside local kelp beds which I can't get to in a private or party boat.
FFY
Preferably.

I've seen the 7 up close and did get to screw around with a touch screen but that's way more than I want, need or can afford. Perhaps the FHS is where I will find an awesome deal, you never know. I'm really in no hurry to get it but am definitely in the market for one.

Last edited by jorluivil; 02-03-2013 at 07:57 AM.