Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 02-25-2007, 11:51 AM   #1
Matt
Support your local pangas

LJ 2/25 Sunday

Well launched a little later than I had planned due to my failure to hear the alarm. Paddled on out around 6:15 with 2 rods both set up for iron as did Todd, threw the salas 6x jr. blue and white for nothing. Switched over to the scrambled egg and got some sandbass and smaller rockfish all went happily home to their own little slice of ocean. Saw some big marks on the FF and heard a rumor of a YT being landed but didn't see it. Ran into T-Man and Jimbo, who had some rake marks on some of their baits and reported some boils but also brought home no YT. Of note the launch and landing were not the worst but not the easiest either definitely some sets but nothing horrible although some did not fair as well as I did on the landing. Weather went from cold to nice to cold and the winter time "spot" definitely had some people on it!! Nice to meet Chris (?) and Rich (?) sorry if I screwed up your names but I look forward to fishing with you both!

Matt
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:21 PM   #2
Sammy
Junior

Send a message via Yahoo to Sammy
Woohoo!! 28 Pounds of Yeller Tail on a blue/white Tady 9. I guess it was my day. I know of one other that was released, but that is someone elses story.

I hope I get out there again next weekend.

TL,
Sammy

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:28 PM   #3
Lit-up1

2-25

Got towed around -ride em cowboy or

Broke my spectra Probably BSB--

Others more lucky-blue and white and yollow for Tim
Old 02-25-2007, 12:34 PM   #4
Matt

sunday

Congrats to Tim and Sammy! Thought that I saw you on the beach Mr. Easton!

Matt F.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:35 PM   #5
rtf

Thanks again for the photo Lit-up. I'm sorry I couldn't return the favor with a better picture of your tug o war.
rtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:44 PM   #6
Hook 1

Nice Yellows guys. I went to Dana looking for those Pliska butts but only found shorts. Sammy when did you get a P-15?
Old 02-25-2007, 03:13 PM   #7
Sammy
Junior

Hey Mark, I got the P-15 over a month ago. That was my second trip to LJ with it and that is my second YT on it. I'd say it has good karma, lol. 28 pounds is my personal best with a YT. What makes it even better is that it was the first fish on my new jig stick . One hell of a way to break it in.

Sammy
Old 02-25-2007, 04:45 PM   #8
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Sammy.. Nice YT. I was near you when you hooked up and landed. I asked if you needed a gaff. I overheard you saying it was your second this month (if your the same dude). Way to go on the winter yellow. Uh oh, wifes calling me to come and watch the Oscars... Nice job!
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:49 PM   #9
Sammy
Junior

Yes, that was me. Thanks for the gaff offer. Tight lines, Sammy

Old 02-25-2007, 07:52 PM   #10
blackcloud9
Kayaker

Good job on the yellows guys. I made the pedal from Big Rock to where the crowd was by 7 am, upcurrent. I only have so much patience with the yo-yo, spent an hour or so, and I saw no action. Lots of guys out there, I didn't see any hookups so I went looking around.

I fished a few 105-130' spots on the way back to Big Rock, for a couple lings and one was 30" released, and rockfish released on plastics. Tons of bait on the meter.

By the way the launch at Big Rock was simple today, even with buoys showing a 4' windswell. Doesn't catch the windswell energy like the Shores.

blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:25 PM   #11
One Rev

Nice fish guys. One of these days for me.

There have been times when I have launched at Big Rock and it was almost flat. Came back 6 hours later to some really strong shorebreak. Usually that's when I get stomped real bad. My first choice though is Big Rock because I like fishing directly off the point just past the kelp and it's not as long a paddle, well peddle for me.

Mike
One Rev
One Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:30 PM   #12
Matt

Big Rock

I launch from Big rock and Marine st. alot during the summer and early spring months as it puts you out in some of the best Calico and Ling areas around LJ. I have gotten rolled once in the surf, but it wasn't all that bad! I know come the first of March I will be launching from there again. Often if the swell is bad at Big Rock you can launch between Marine St. and Horseshoes without too much of a problem. Anybody want to go out on Fri. or Sun. please hit me up as I plan on fishing both.

Matt
Old 02-26-2007, 07:48 PM   #13
esdees
The Good Clone

Hey Matt, I'll be there Saturday and I'm trying to get ahead at work enough to take off Friday morning (maybe even the whole day). Were you planning on Marine St or the shores? I've never done Marine St and I don't think I really want to right now, but maybe. Let me know.

-Patrick
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:33 PM   #14
wavster

Marine Street can have a hefty surge. I used to live up the street and surfed Windansea for years in the 80s. Marine St. had some good body whomping waves.

I went hooping at Marine St. this year and got hammered coming in (at 4am). I had only been kayaking a month, so I was inexpereienced. I got pummeled by some set waves and had to gather my gear all along the beach from Horsehoe to Little Point.

Never tried launching there since - or during the day.
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:24 AM   #15
Matt

Friday Launch

Hey Patrick,

I think I will have to be at work by 11, so I am down for the LJ shores launch, probably just going to chuck iron and drop down some pink leadhead grubs in case I find me a ling spot. Let me know if you want to meet up!!

Matt F.