Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 12-02-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

LJ 12-2-06

High tide was up to the wood fence at 5:15am... ran into Andy who was setting up, he reported temp 45º... :shock:
A few minutes later Pat pulled up. Launched into the dark, met up with Brad, and Tyler who were working the pier.
Squid tip was the trick, thanks Tyler for the extra squid. Marked bait and made bait pretty easily, mostly Spanish,
with some candy greenies mixed in, and larger lobster bait pacific macks as well.

Headed due west of the pier.... It was a like a sealion mine field out there, but they were not thieving yet.
We worked the Dec '05 spot for nada. Didn't hear much going on, except occasional bonito, and turd rollers.

Ran into Martin, and Cabo John, good seing you guys, they reported a slow morning.

Beautiful day, decided to head in around 10AM. Current seemed slow, lots of eel grass in the water, 1 ft surf at landing.
Water was pretty clear, at least 25 ft vis. Little to no wind. Warmed up a little after the sun came out. Saw a small whale inside, pretty cool.

Looks like I am sleeping in tomorrow.... GO BOLTS!!!!!!!

Chris

PS: Brad with your WCW winnings... please get a new VHF, we can barely hear you out there brutha!! :lol: You can even listen to lets talk hookup... :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback

http://www.anchorexpress.com/standar...eld-radio.html

These are great units - now affordable with no tax and no shipping.

Now through December 22nd - Get FREE DHL Next Business Day Shipping by entering the following coupon code XBM349Z in the Coupon or Promotional Code field of the first page of the check out process.

Today's Picture...

Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Chris, I saw that lil whale around the edge of the reserve. After you pulled off the beach a trio of SIK landed. The 2 guys land fine and the 3rd, an older 60+ woman flips in the surf and is upside down long enough for me to start running down, when she bobbed up and yelled for help and her friends woke up and saw her. That had to scare the ka-rap out of her. It was a bitchen morning, glad I was out there. 1 boney, one rockfish and one sandbass. Sunday dinner will be steak.........again
Old 12-02-2006, 05:53 PM   #3
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Nice day out, but nothing to report. I got my radio working again, I can finally hear about all the fish everyone is catching again. I screwed the antenna back on :x . I did hear about and see a big shark hook up :shock: .

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:58 PM   #4
cabojohn
PROBATION

Tyler, how did the shark photos turn out?
What was Tman thinking bringing a big junk yard dog do to the kayak like that? That could have gone very bad. I was skeeeerd. :shock: :fish:
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:51 PM   #5
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Shark pics:

It was big enough it could of made a snack of this 2' baby harbor seal:

I saw the shark finning earlier and decided against throwing an iron its way. I didn't realize how big it was until later.

I sent the rest of the pics to Martin. Becuase of the glare on the water you never really get to see the whole thing. Just the dorsal and the footprint.

Old 12-03-2006, 07:03 PM   #6
DOGHOUSE26

What kind of shark was it?
DOGHOUSE26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:47 PM   #7
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGHOUSE26
What kind of shark was it?
Mako

Old 12-04-2006, 02:47 AM   #8
Hook 1

Martin you should have put a collar on it and taken it for a walk around the pond. Did you get it on a fly lined top water seal?
Old 12-04-2006, 07:42 AM   #9
Cucamonga Keith

:shock: :?: :roll:
Cucamonga Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:12 AM   #10
Grego

I heard the rumor of a battle with a titan size MAKO, diving knives being drawn and jabbed, rod butts hammering down upon a monster attempting to wreck devastating carnage to a yak, coast guard being called out with a .50 cal, people screaming scared......pictures are worth a thousand words... :P
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 09:11 AM   #11
cabojohn
PROBATION

You cant tell how big the shark was from the photos...but it was a good size mako! I confirm that.
It was 2/3 the length of Tmans kayak and its girth was 1-1/2 the size of Tmans body. I got to see the shark very close and I about shit when it swim right under my kayak. YIKES.

The best part was when the shark hit Martins yak...Tman saw god and started hitting the shark with his rod tip. :shock: bwaaaa ahaaaa - like that's going to help. :salut:

I took the chicken exit and got the hell away fast. I didnt have to paddle fast...just faster than Tman. lol

cabjohn
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 09:15 AM   #12
Slay Rider

Martin's my hero!
Old 12-04-2006, 09:32 AM   #13
Zed
BANNED

That's jus' plain loco.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 09:53 AM   #14
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

That was definitely a fun hook up. I wanted to try to land it, but had no takers.
Tyler, thanks for the pics. Long version....

Cabo and I had been fishing and not catching, when we started to head in a bit. From a distance, I saw the tip of a fin break the surface, was hoping it was something else. I paddled closer, and saw it closer, more out of the water, bigger than what I thought, and grey. Hoped it would be a thresher.

I had an iron rigged with 30 lb set up, and decided I wanted to pull on something. I flung the iron, perfect shot, right in front of his nose. I think it was retaliation, because in a pissed mood, he turned and attacked the lure. Turned out to be a perfect corner hook, and he bolted, in a big way, so much so that as line peeled off the reel, I got a backlash, and after getting some line back, I could reel no more. That's when I noticed I had slack in the line, and thought he was off, so I started trying to undo the tangle. I decide to break the line, and as I started pulling in the line, big boy was still on, coming towards us. I hand my reel to Cabo to undo the tangle while I hold the line. Cabo gets it undone, and hands me the broken off piece of line. I try to tie a blood knot as fast as I can, to no avail, and decide to just tie any knot I could tie fast - forget what I tied, but it held.

I'm now on, with Cabo telling me to cut the line and let him go. I actually was thinking of ways to land it, and had Cabo get the rope out of my seatback. At one point, Cabo decides to call for backup, and the response was simple - Good luck, have fun, and cut the line. At one point it was asked if we were sure it was a Mako. Played tug of war with him for a good half hour, with Mr. Mako not only pulling me, but trying to dive, spinning my yak, and the fun part, having to feed my rod tip over the yak since he felt like making passes under my yak, and with every pass, I did my best to (try) to lead him out from under the yak. At one point, the thought was to tow him N of the pier, and with Cabo paddling, I am roped in reverse to his yak, while I maintain pressure on big boy. Needless to say, we got nowhere.

We see Tyler, ask if he'g got a camera, and he says he does then tells us to hold on. And he puts on his life vest. For added flavor I guess.
He gets some shots, but now, after a half hour of me pulling on him and more importantly, him towing me wherever he chose, I decide we need a close up shot. I begin trying to lift him up, and gaining more line, I get him closer to the surface, and positioned next to the yak. He showed some pearly whites a couple of times, and I decide more pressure is needed. Now, I've got him about a foot from the surface, thinking, "Ooooh, this is gonna be a nice shot."

Wrong. He starts doing a head shake, then bumps the bow of the yak, and tries to take a bite of the yak. That's when I start spanking that big dog with the rod tip - worked a bit, now I'm laughing, and turn to Cabo and Tyler to ask if they saw that. I look back, and they had decided to distance themselves from me. With a pissed off Mako now, decide it is best to cut the line. So I start reeling in some more line, getting some back, and he's now coming at me again. I put the reel in free spool, let him take some line, grab the knife, and cut the line.

Was fun tugging on something that big, I estimate at least 8', prob between 8' - 9', and easily over 200 lbs, realistically around 250, as he was thicker than me and I weigh 220, big pec fin span, and the most beautiful, yet ominous, black eyes.

In all the fun, I forgot to name him....

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 10:33 AM   #15
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

I wish the pics came out better. Sorry about that. If only point and shoot cameras had polarized lenses. I also didn't want to get too close to take a picture incase it went ballistic, and it kind of did. Cool story. Redoing a knot with a shark on the line is pretty cool. It was funny (only becuase everyone made it out with all limbs attached) watching you use the rod tip to fend it off from your boat.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:53 AM   #16
Zed
BANNED

Clay would've landed it...
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:25 AM   #17
TomTurtle

is it legal to carry a firearm out there? would be epic to see a shark like that landed! :shock: !
TomTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:41 PM   #18
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Discharging a firearm within so many miles of land is illegal, not sure how many miles. Tman was within that range however. When I got to the whole scene it wasn't too far outside the reserve line and swim buoys :shock: . I think there is a good chance it could have been landed without a boat, but as John said while we were out there, lots of risk for not too much reward. Tman was still was trying to convince us to help him land it until it turned on his boat. Things could have been ugly really fast.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:38 PM   #19
BOZ
Junior

Nice read. I know that Clay would have not only landed, but would have eaten the eyes, and steaked the beast before it hit shore. Nice to hear nobody was hurt.

Damm, I should have hit El Callejon for big fish honors
BOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 12:00 PM   #20
Jim Sammons LJKF

T-man, I have never caught a Mako that didn't go airborne, had one about 300 lbs make a couple of crazy jumps the second the hook hit its mouth. Fight lasted about 20 seconds :shock:
Did this one do any acrobatics for you.
I would hate for anyone to think that landing a Mako is anything like a Thresher, Makos are mean, nasty and crazy. I was on a boat when we brought one up and it proceeded to chew on the swim step leaving deep gashes in it, hate to see what it would do to the soft plastic on my kayak or the soft flesh of my leg.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote