Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 05:17 PM   #1
bkreigs
Junior

Info on Puerto santo thomas?????

Heading down for memorial day.
Anybody have any information on the fishing there?
I know it is cold water bottom fishing. Mabe some yellowtail.
Do you have to register your kayaks?? I know you need a tourist pass.
Any info would help.
We will be leaving early Sat morning 5/26 if anybody is interested in heading down to Mexico.
Thanks!!
bkreigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
DBITE

PST is a great place to kayak fish. You're right about the cold water fishing aspect. I would expect a lot of lingcod, rockcod, etc., though they definitely have some WSB and Yellows there. Launching is pretty easy most of the time since the cove is mostly protected and there is a launch ramp. Technically you do have to register your kayak for fishing in Mexico, but it's only around $30 for the year. Go to Discover Baja and they'll hook you up. Here is a good synopsis of PST and some pics from one of my trips:

http://www.mexfish.com/psto/psto.htm

DBITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
catchfish

Lots of Bass and Bonito.

http://www.puertosantotomas.com/
catchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:51 AM   #4
'Cuda

Paddle straight out to the edge of the kelp for lings and vermillions....Roca Soledad is a about a mile or so out for big vermillion and I've seen yellowtail there but never hooked up. Also in the bay around the old tuna hoops is good for WSB and halibut closer to shore....beautiful place but prone to wind.
If you're not camping, I recommend the cliff side duplex cottage that sleeps 4 on one side and 2 on the other w/a kitchen, hot showers and a front patio and fire pit w/ a beautiful view of the bay for $37./nite....although Sam is probably booked up by this time.
Good luck and good fishing.
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:17 AM   #5
EFISH

PST

I was just down in mexico a few months ago, if you stop at the exit just before the border and hit up one of the places that sells mexican ins. they also sell fishing lic. and boat permits. Fishing lic. is a must, but the boat permit - well out of 10 people I asked about it the only one that said I needed it was the person selling it. I think it was like $50. Rock fish, LOTS of lings, Yelllows, wsb. Make sure to bring frozen squid and weight to get it down. Large plastics for bottom fishing also.
Peace Out
EFISH
EFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:22 AM   #6
esdees
The Good Clone

Your kayak is a boat in Mexico and you need a permit for it and a fishing license for yourself. The chances of getting checked are pretty low, but if it happens you better hope you're legal. I've never been checked for a fishing license (California, or Mexico), but I still buy them every year.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:57 PM   #7
potto

potto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:31 PM   #8
drgary

Be careful when paddling out and north around the point. There is a shallow reef that can nail you pretty good if the swell is up. It is worse in the fog as you don't have any reference. The guy that runs the place is real nice. When I was there at Roca Soledad by myself he called me every half hour on the radio to see if I was OK.

drgary
drgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:58 PM   #9
Hook 1

That's a great photo from the hill Potto.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:54 AM   #10
potto

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgary View Post
Be careful when paddling out and north around the point. There is a shallow reef that can nail you pretty good if the swell is up. It is worse in the fog as you don't have any reference. The guy that runs the place is real nice. When I was there at Roca Soledad by myself he called me every half hour on the radio to see if I was OK.

drgary
Here is a bad pic of the Island that is about a mile away.

Ponga support, is your last resort. Do bring a radio.

Somedays, it is really windy. I watched over half dozen people over the weekend who were unable to paddle back to shore. The white streaks you see was caused by the wind.

potto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:10 PM   #11
mark kleiter

THANKS

to all of you who sent back info. much ablidged. BK and I are looking forward to the weekend.
mark kleiter is offline   Reply With Quote