Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
ful-rac
Emperor

Path of Destruction!!!

Well things have been pretty quiet around the sewer lately...the team sewer guys have been on a cold streak...even me it's been pretty rough to be honest...I have a story that I was considering not sharing...but maybe some of you guys can learn, and someday might benefit from my misfortune...or just get a laugh at my expense...

The day starts out like any other day fishn, sleepy, tired, but excited of what the day might bring...Mrgregandrew and myself arrive at an undisclosed topsecret location not having very high hopes of catching anything worth keeping, but we just have to try anyway, good or bad.

After fishing for an hour or two and ending up with nothing but sandbass and sculpin, we decide to fish a different area that has produced fish or two in the past...We start our drift, we work as a team, I fish shallow greg fishes deep...About half way through our drift I get bit...I lift up on the rod...set the hook...heavy, heavy headshakes...ooooh boy now that's the right stuff...! I glance over to my other rod and see that it's already hooked up with my fish...Im think'n....not again...I lost a huge halibut last year that exact same way. I quicky throw the rod into freespool and flip the clicker on...ok now it shouldn't be a problem...It drags me around for a bit but gives up fairly quickly....deeep color....OH- MY- GAWD...!!!it's a friggn monster! The fish comes up completely vertical, not a good situation. I pull on the fish trying to lay it out for the gaff shot, I see my opportunity and I take it...perfect belly shot. I get the game clip on without incident, smoothly 1 try fish secured.

At this point, I have tangled lines everywhere...not good. So I whip out the knife and start cutting, now my lap is filled with hooks treble hooks spectra...not a good situation to be in with a monster fish just waiting to explode next to me...I know something bad is about to happen I could almost sense it...the fish was completely calm at this time. I have to get the rods off my lap and into the holders, as well as clear the line and hooks off my lap. I was reluctant to pull the gaff out...just because once removed...usually all hell breaks loose. So I needed to let the fish go, and get organized...but like I said feeling very nervous...I could almost see it coming....

You still with me...? Good...
I slip the gaff out of the fish and it's calm for just 1 second...and just like I knew was going to happen it went berserk! Almost like the video "grenade fishing" except this fish goes OFF like a bomb next to my kayak! Next thing I know...I see white...that's the fish launching itself...it lands on my rails with a loud whack...whack...whack!!! that just happens to be where I keep my phone on a ram mount...oh shit...I hear a loud crack and the plastic ram mount just comes apart...my phone drops right into the water...it seemed like the fish smashed the right side of my kayak about 10 times in 1 second...I'm going for a ride...somehow or another the fish comes unclipped??? and the next thing you know me and greg see it about 50 feet away...it seems in a blink of an eye...launching itself out of the water several times before finally sinking out to the bottom......Wow...did that just happen?

I'm in complete and utter shock...I look at the tip of one of my rods and in the melee somehow that fucker snapped 4" off my 800xl... What can I say...? Iv'e caught many halibut on my kayak a couple over 30 pounds many over 20...and never seen one go this crazy. This fish was definitely a personal best for me...it was larger than anything I have caught previously by far...I guess we will never really know for sure...

So I ended up losing a phone... whacked off by a halibut...busted rod...lost fish and wounded pride....hope this was an entertaining read for ya...true story! Unforturnately....

Tony.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
StinkyMatt

At least you did not flip at the landing.

That's why we love you Tony. You provide the entertainment every time..

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

No pics = BS

gonna catch chit for that one

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Bummer about your phone!

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...FEPROOF&page=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
no leash, or even a float on your phone Tony, your going to Jorge that phone if you keep it up!

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
mrJB

Been FUBAR'd a few times myself... then again I've won a few that I shouldn't have. i guess it all even's out in the end...
Old 03-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
At least you did not flip at the landing.

That's why we love you Tony. You provide the entertainment every time..

I concur 20 x 50 x infinity

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
undrH2Ohntr

damn....I thought I had a crazy day...I guess not, sorry.
undrH2Ohntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
silentsmell

that's one bad ass fish. thanks for the good read
silentsmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:24 AM   #9
Deamon

bummer in so many ways...personal best, cell phone...NOT the 800XL!!! Shit!
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
DanaPT

stories like this help balance perspective. Kayak fishing isn't ALL fun and games. I thought this was going to end badly at this point. . .

"now my lap is filled with hooks treble hooks spectra...not a good situation to be in with a monster fish just waiting to explode next to me"

having hooks driven into any body part (let alone the crotch area). .. biggest fear for me.

Glad about you not being hurt. Sorry about the fish. Unfortunately you get to re-live that moment in your head until you match/best the one that got away
(That's what has happened to me!)
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #11
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman View Post
No pics = BS
You own a GoPro, an Iphone, and an Ipad....plus Greg was there too. And no one got a pic or video.

I'm not sure I believe this story bro...haha.

The year is still early. I'm certain you'll get another big one on the end of your line again.
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #12
sdfisher

When that Hali is on your game clip just relaxing lay the wood to it! Beat it over the head like nobody's business or if you can slash those gills.

Sounds like it was a rough trip, sorry to hear that.
sdfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #13
dorado50

Take my rods..take my phone....take my credit cards...but please don't take the fish!.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #14
MrPatrick

Hmmm.....

"Whacked off by a Halibut"
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:44 PM   #15
"jjcawjj"

Thought that kind of day only happen to ME, Great read thanks for sharing!!!
"jjcawjj" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:50 AM   #16
maui jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPatrick View Post
"Whacked off by a Halibut"
At least it smelled fishey......
Old 03-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #17
Iceman
Administrator

Ouch Tony, good lesson shared.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:12 AM   #18
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

AAR

Tony,
Thanks for sharing a great story! All we need now is a little seared ahi, pork chops and a campfire! We can all learn from this, so for the 'after-action-review' the RedSledTeam wants to know what you would do differently next time?
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #19
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSledTeam View Post
Tony,
Thanks for sharing a great story! All we need now is a little seared ahi, pork chops and a campfire! We can all learn from this, so for the 'after-action-review' the RedSledTeam wants to know what you would do differently next time?
There is definitely something I would do differently, simply make it a rule to attach a secondary device to big fish... example...a rope, second game clip something to secure it in the event of gameclip or padeye failure. Big fish in my book are fish approching 30 pound class and above. Devices should be attached to separate points on your kayak in the event of failure of one.

The power of these fish should not be underestimated, even after it's clipped, bled for several hours...and you think it's dead for sure...in all likelyhood it's not.

Large halibut are definitely one of the more dangerous things to catch on a kayak and should be treated as such.

I had been forewarned of such possibilites, of gameclip malfunction/failure...I did not heed that advice, in this case. Just because of my own stubbornness or cockyness...or because it just never happened to me before...until I crossed paths with that one insane fish. Had I been prepared...or listened to the advice of fellow more experienced kayak brothers...I would have brought home my PB halibut...
Old 03-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #20
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
bummer....

Thanks Tony for sharing - great info to know....sorry about that!!!
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote