Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2015, 09:06 AM   #1
Rocketfish

Huntington Harbor weekend 05/09/15

I had a couple of hours this Saturday morning so decided to launch into HH just after sunrise. It was super calm and there was no wind.

On my way to the fishing hole I tried some swimbaits at a bunch of slips, and in deep water with no luck - I always thought there were tons of fish under shaded areas. With one hour before I had to head back, I started throwing the swimbait around my spot. Luckily, conditions were right, at least for the fish. I ended up landing 4 bass in the quick hour I had before having to paddle back, which is great for me as I usually only get one or two in an hour.

This guy put up a good fight on my 6# bass rod. I noticed my hook was bent after he was CPR'd.

OH! As I was fishing this area I unintentionally drifted towards some shallow, 1 foot deep water and happened to look down. Lo and behold, there was an entire fishing rod and reel under there! I couldn't believe it. I reached down and grabbed it and took it home. I looked it up and the reel is considered a "vintage" conventional reel. The rod looks solid as well, but doesn't have any discernable markings. They are both in great condition, which may mean they were not submerged too long. I can certainly use the setup as is, but I'm planning on opening up the reel to see how bad the damage is. Did any of you happen to lose a rod in HH recently? If you describe it well enough I can just return it to you!

-----------
I went back to the same spot the next day. It seemed even calmer then the previous day.

This time I had 3 hours to spare at the fishing hole but didn't get ONE bite! Skunked this time. I did notice that the current was super strong and kept pulling me out towards the bridge. Perhaps this outgoing tide discouraged fish to bite in my area? Bummer, what a difference a day makes for sure. I had virtually unlimited time this second day. I think the fish were telling me to go home and be with my wife for mother's day haha.

All in all a cool fishing weekend.

Last edited by Rocketfish; 05-11-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Rocketfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:16 AM   #2
AirborneYak

Good fishing

Looks like a good solo trip.
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:28 PM   #3
iethinker

Thanks

Thanks for the report.
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:26 PM   #4