Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-02-2018, 10:12 AM   #1
Dingokevin

Nice morning out at LJ

Launched at 0510 to ankle high bumps. Heading out see a guy on a olive OB fishing 300yrds off the beach. Tell him he's fishing inside the MLPA.
Him "so"
Me "it's guys like you who are going to get this place locked down"
Him "whatever"
Me "jack ass"
Him "I'm just fishing for mackerel"

To that guy. Poatching is poatching does not mader if it is for yellowtail, seabass or mackerel. People like you give ammunition to tree huggers, to close down our fishing spots. So yes ... whatever...it does matter...and you are a asshole.

Now to fishing.

Bait easily made past the MLPA 10" greens

Hooked up on something good on a 80gr flatfall broke me off.

3 calico on the way back in on a red big hammer. 3/4oz swim jig head. Tossing in to the thick stuff.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Dingokevin; 06-02-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Dingokevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:48 AM   #2
Ror_sal
Junior

Thanks for the report. How was the calico bite? Scratchy? Might hit it tomorrow morning.

I’m not 100% but I think you can fish for pelagic species in that MLPA zone. I think mackerel are a pelagic species? Hope someone can dial in here and correct me if I’m wrong.
Ror_sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #3
Dingokevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ror_sal View Post
Thanks for the report. How was the calico bite? Scratchy? Might hit it tomorrow morning.

I’m not 100% but I think you can fish for pelagic species in that MLPA zone. I think mackerel are a pelagic species? Hope someone can dial in here and correct me if I’m wrong.
Calico bit was ok casted maybe 12 time and 3 fish so not to bad

And no it is a no fish zone.

State Marine Reserve (SMR)

An MPA designation that prohibits damage or take of all marine resources (living, geologic, or cultural) including recreational and commercial take

Old 06-02-2018, 03:11 PM   #4
Tslayer99
Commercial Fisherman

To clarify, I work at SCRIPPS and i know that these are the regs around scripps pier. I am unsure of the regs south of this area, into the more regulated MPA
Tslayer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:33 PM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

the blue zone SMCA is ok to catch mackerel, not the red SMR.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:49 PM   #6
Dingokevin

The guy was not much pass the surf from the launch area. By no means ok to fish.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:05 PM   #7
Caseym

Iceman and DingoKevin are 100% accurate. The blue area is baitfish only, the red is NO take! The guy was a jackass by all accounts and I commend DonkeyKevin or whatever his user name is for taking the time to say something. This world is full of wussies that sit inside their bubble world refusing to become an active part of solving the problems. I for one am GLAD he said something, he’s nails accurate with what will eventually happen and how WE are perceived (i before e except after “c”). Everyone that saw it only saw it as “another kayaker illegally fishing” and lumped us as one. Too bad more people didnt bombard him with lectures so he felt intimidated and never again tried it. Keep LaJolla bitchen.
Rant over-
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #8
sdyeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseym View Post
Iceman and DingoKevin are 100% accurate. The blue area is baitfish only, the red is NO take! The guy was a jackass by all accounts and I commend DonkeyKevin or whatever his user name is for taking the time to say something. This world is full of wussies that sit inside their bubble world refusing to become an active part of solving the problems. I for one am GLAD he said something, he’s nails accurate with what will eventually happen and how WE are perceived (i before e except after “c”). Everyone that saw it only saw it as “another kayaker illegally fishing” and lumped us as one. Too bad more people didnt bombard him with lectures so he felt intimidated and never again tried it. Keep LaJolla bitchen.
Rant over-
I second all of this!!!!

Some dude on reddit was talking about how it's ok to take bait in the MSR off of the launch area. He was thinking the launch area was part of the SD/Scrips Coastal SMCA. I did my best to educate the guy and provided a direct link to the DFW website with the map of the area and the instruction for it. Even cut and paste the line about "not taking any living marine resource" in the reply. Some other dude then asks "What does that mean though?"

(some) People are dumb. It's frustrating sometimes. I myself have got to remember to stay positive and focus on the education aspect.
sdyeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:35 PM   #9
Fishin1313
Junior

Matlahuayl State Marine Reserve
JPG Map | PDF Map

Boundary: This area is bounded by the mean high tide line and straight lines connecting the following points in the order listed:

32° 51.964' N. lat. 117° 15.252' W. long.;
32° 51.964' N. lat. 117° 16.400' W. long.; and
32° 51.067' N. lat. 117° 16.400' W. long.

Permitted/Prohibited Uses:

It is unlawful to injure, damage, take, or possess any living, geological, or cultural marine resource.
Boats may be launched and retrieved only in designated areas and may be anchored within the reserve only during daylight
Fishin1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:18 PM   #10
ratdog

I was out 3 weeks ago and saw a fellow in a yellow kayak over by the caves fishing. I mentioned it to him also, he had no clue where the boundaries were or that it was illegal to fish in that area. Pisses me off that people are so clueless!
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 06:57 PM   #11
pbb

If you talk to people and they show no sign of changing their illegal behavior, you can always call them in to Cal TIP (1-888-334-CalTIP). Better DFW hear about it from a kayak fisherman than someone else. Also, if I remember correctly Lifeguards can issue infraction citations under AB 298.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:07 PM   #12
Dingokevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog View Post
I was out 3 weeks ago and saw a fellow in a yellow kayak over by the caves fishing. I mentioned it to him also, he had no clue where the boundaries were or that it was illegal to fish in that area. Pisses me off that people are so clueless!
One thing for someone who does not know. Not saying it's right you should all ways know the laws. Now someone who knows and doesn't care is a complete different story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbb View Post
If you talk to people and they show no sign of changing their illegal behavior, you can always call them in to Cal TIP (1-888-334-CalTIP). Better DFW hear about it from a kayak fisherman than someone else. Also, if I remember correctly Lifeguards can issue infraction citations under AB 298.
Good to know. Not may lifeguards around at 0530. But will save the number.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:52 AM   #13
FARRIER

Some may argue that the MLPA in and of itself is a violation of the state constitution and illegal. Who is right, I am not sure?
Old 06-07-2018, 01:36 PM   #14
Royak

Is the MLPA illegal?

The MLPA appears to be in clear violation of the State Constitution. I know of two failed lawsuits against this legislation, neither of which addressed the Constitutional issues. As one experienced trial attorney told me, "Big mistake!"
Royak is offline   Reply With Quote