Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
PapaDave

DP 03-23

Good morning all! Figured I'd post another DP report...

Started out a little late, 10am with a friends son with me this time on the back of the PA. Since this was his first time on a kayak, as well as fishing the ocean, figured we'd try for some small stuff.

Bait at the receiver, sardines, was hoping for some chovies but alas, the party boat got the last of them. Water was as others have described, cool and dirty.

Originally was going to stay in the harbor but the water was calm and there was a lot of traffic there so we headed just outside the harbor towards the beach.

Small stuff, right? Riiiiiight...

The first one almost pulled him off the back of the kayak. Hooked up on several of these on light tackle and finally got one in the boaat for dinner.
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
rrocco
Junior

Those Leopards are lots of fun to catch, never kept one to eat though. How do they taste? Also, how did you have your sardines rigged to hook up with them?
rrocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
SorryCharlie

PapaDave,

It is classic, I launch from DP Kayak and Jet Ski place as well and every time I come in the staff there is always telling me about what mystery man "Dave" has caught, yet I never see you off the water. I guess now I know who they are talking about hahah (they mentioned your nice leopard shark, figured 2 Dave's couldn't have caught one on the same day).

Nicely done with something "small," I'm sure your friends kid will be hooked on fishing now.

Hopefully I'll see you out there some time soon.
SorryCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryCharlie View Post
...Nicely done with something "small," I'm sure your friends kid will be hooked on fishing now.

Hopefully I'll see you out there some time soon.
I hope he is, right now he is stuck in that video game mentality, I'm trying to get him back into reality.

I am out there every Saturday, just about, and sometimes on Sunday. We should hook up sometime.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
madncrzydm

Dropper loop?
Old 03-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
SorryCharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
I hope he is, right now he is stuck in that video game mentality, I'm trying to get him back into reality.

I am out there every Saturday, just about, and sometimes on Sunday. We should hook up sometime.
I was in the same boat a while ago, staying in playing XBOX because I was to lazy to do things after work or on days off, which was the whole reason I upgraded the yak. Trust me a few more "small" fish like that and he will be asking his dad for his own yak some day.

I'm out there almost every Saturday as well, what time do you usually hit the water?
SorryCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
fishsouthcounty

nice leopard for the kid thats for sure. If that doesn't get him curious i dont know what would.

I'm guessin Carolina rig.

Dave I'd love to join you one of these Saturdays. Going to get my bait tank in line and then halibut is my target.
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
tomahawk

So do most of you who fish DP launch out of the kayak and jet ski center or from the boat launch?
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
So do most of you who fish DP launch out of the kayak and jet ski center or from the boat launch?
I launch out of Baby's Beach (mothers beach?) toward the back of the harbor. Its only about an extra 10 min trip vs the boat launch, but the parking is free, and you can get there as early as you want.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #10
madncrzydm

I launch out of the boat launch because i paddle and its a lil longer trip for me and they have a wash down station there thats is free so i can wash everything off there and air dry on the way home and the bait barge is right there.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #11
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by madncrzydm View Post
I launch out of the boat launch because i paddle and its a lil longer trip for me and they have a wash down station there thats is free so i can wash everything off there and air dry on the way home and the bait barge is right there.
X2

I have to buy one of those coiling hoses.. very handy at that wash station.
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #12
PapaDave

I was rigged up with the hook tied straight to the braid, sliding sinker and a split shot to keep that from going all the way to the hook. Not sure what the name of that type would be. I ended up switching to a light wire at the end due to so many that bit through the line. Was originally trying to get the lad on some halibut and bass with maybe a keeper.

I launch from DP Jet Ski and try to get out there by 9am, I live in Menifee and it is a long drive. But I can do it earlier if you guys want to start out sooner. I usually stay out until sunset, unless I run out of bait.

Weather permitting, and barring any unforseen family events, I will be out there this Saturday. Might bring Amos, the boy in the pic, if it is okay with his mom.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #13
captnblood34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrocco View Post
Those Leopards are lots of fun to catch, never kept one to eat though. How do they taste? Also, how did you have your sardines rigged to hook up with them?
Its fish in the cob. Shark is cartilaginous obviously so there's no bone hassle. Steak it out or whatever, but soak in milk overnight and cook it to what your feeling. They're delicious, just make sure they're 36".

Good day there Dave!
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #14
DanaPT

"I was rigged up with the hook tied straight to the braid, sliding sinker and a split shot to keep that from going all the way to the hook. Not sure what the name of that type would be."

we'll call it the "PD McGyver modified c-rig" No need for expensive flouro, confusing knots, or wasted time on the water setting-up.

nice work.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #15
madncrzydm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
I was rigged up with the hook tied straight to the braid, sliding sinker and a split shot to keep that from going all the way to the hook. Not sure what the name of that type .
Almost seems like what I use for freshwater bass a modifird texas rig. I havent even began to mess around with wire stuff yet are you uust using a steel leader or what?
Old 03-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #16
captnblood34

Quote:
Originally Posted by madncrzydm View Post
Almost seems like what I use for freshwater bass a modifird texas rig. I havent even began to mess around with wire stuff yet are you uust using a steel leader or what?
Shouldn't need a steel leader, bay bass have bigger teeth than leopards.
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #17
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnblood34 View Post
Shouldn't need a steel leader, bay bass have bigger teeth than leopards.
I beg to differ, not only are they bigger, but they are sharper and there is a mouth full.

I use 15-20 braid when fishing these so thier teeth and skin go through it rather easily. I have landed them without the wire though.

I use a wire called Knot2Kinky, 18lb, very thin, you can actually tie knots with it.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #18
carbonbass

Braid is not abrasive resistant at all, their skin alone would rub through that, mono however is actually quite abrasion resistant.
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote