Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2014, 01:02 AM   #21
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
The shark was reacting to being hooked. The video and comments make fisherman look bad, but it's obvious from their gear and what they say that they were not fishing sharks, just stupid kids that had no clue what to do once they hooked the shark.

There was no way that shark was trying to feed on that swimmer and it obviously knew it was hooked. Cutting the line at the reel would of been stupid. The shark would of ended up towing the excess line, and could of eventually died. If you look carefully you can see that before the shark attacked it was on the surface obviously fighting the line moving right to left. It just happened to run into the crowd of swimmers as they crossed paths. If the fisherman had broken it off, or thrown the reel in freespool it would of probably dove or taken off and missed them completely. He was also using spectra. All he had to do to release it was lock up the reel and break it off. Once free it would of left the area.

I've never hooked a white but I have hooked many makos (a whites closest relative) and they will attack boats motors and sometimes even other sharks, especially blue sharks, when hooked. They attack other sharks because they feel threatened, injure them, then leave them bleeding as bait. It's the marine equivalent of being left for the wolves
exactly. except the part about the guys being stupid or dumbasses like I see a lot posting. hook a big fish and watch it go right into a bunch of dumbass swimmers and you'll laugh too. hook an 8ft shark and watch the only two people on the beach, who decided to get in the water right in front of you, get close lined by 150lb mono and you'll laugh. I say "dumbass swimmers" because there are rules about swimming and surfing near piers and anyone who deliberately swims up to a fishing pier deserves to get hooked or tangled in line, that shark did him one better than any fishermen could.

I still have yet to see pics of the injury and I'm willing to bet he sustained them when the shark jumped/thrashed on the surface due to the line and leader. sure the sharks skin may have given him a rash or a tooth caught somewhere but that was it. I've never seen a white go air born when hooked but they do go to the surface as do most sharks, especially when pulling from a higher point like the pier.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #22
Cbad Mike

Bringing it back into the kayak world, maybe we can learn a little something from this. The sharks are definitely out there and it's no surprise how the react to being hooked and pulled on. They jump and bite at anything around them to survive,
SO let's be as safe as possible if we hook a good size Mako or the like. If your close to other kayakers let them know so they can keep an eye open for the pissed off shark incase it comes their way. Also as always, stay aware of your surroundings while out.
For the most part this type of accident can be avoided with the use of a little common sense.
Let's not let this happen to one of us!
Old 07-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #23
rrocco
Junior

City Bans fishing From Manhattan Beach Pier.

http://www.ci.manhattan-beach.ca.us/...3?backlist=%2F

You wonder if this was due to the incident itself or the behavior of the fishermen in the video.
rrocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #24
momo fish

Awesome! Swimmer gets bitten by a shark and the angler gets punished. How come there isn't a temporary ban on swimming or surfing???
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #25
DanaPT

We'll they if they are looking for public comment and you care ... Let your voice be heard...

MDANAJ@CITYMB.INFO

Mark Danaj, City Manager
City of Manhattan Beach
Phone: (310) 802-5053 Phone
Fax: (310) 802-5051 Fax
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #26
cell128
lizard king

This means all those pier guys gonna rush out to buy kayaks and were gonna be packed out there!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #27
momo fish

Just don't chum the water or the city will ban kayaking.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:30 AM   #28
Dail14

I think they need the state's permission to do this though. At least to permanently remove the ability to fish there.
Dail14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #29
Vansmack
Junior

PETA was/is there to help, calling for a ban on all fishing, of course.
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:21 PM   #30
PapaDave

Perhaps the swimmer is a PETA agent sent to swim off the pier for this very reason. It's all a conspiracy I tell you! A conspiracy!!!
Old 07-08-2014, 04:17 PM   #31
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

What a Mess! I'm surprised this has not happened in La Jolla with all the fishery and constant swimmers there.

If you are swimming in the ocean, there is a risk.
If you are swimming next to a fisherman there is a greater risk.
If you are swimming next to a pier full of fisherman there is even a greater risk.

I don't know what happened, but nobody knew that the shark was going to bite the swimmers. At the same time I don't know who is most at fault here,
the swimmers or the fisherman fishing legally who caught a shark off the pier.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #32
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
What a Mess! I'm surprised this has not happened in La Jolla with all the fishery and constant swimmers there.

If you are swimming in the ocean, there is a risk.
If you are swimming next to a fisherman there is a greater risk.
If you are swimming next to a pier full of fisherman there is even a greater risk.

I don't know what happened, but nobody knew that the shark was going to bite the swimmers. At the same time I don't know who is most at fault here,
the swimmers or the fisherman fishing legally who caught a shark off the pier.

Frank if you fish in Malibu again there is an even greater risk.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #33
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Frank if you fish in Malibu again there is an even greater risk.
LOL... what is it with you and Malibu? Malibu and I go way back....

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:18 PM   #34
kayachapi

Reaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
Perhaps the swimmer is a PETA agent sent to swim off the pier for this very reason. It's all a conspiracy I tell you! A conspiracy!!!
I knew it!

Reaction bite, reaction comments, reaction fishing ban. I had read a while back that GW's are mainly fish eaters until they reach around 10', then they switch to mammals (and human flesh). That was from memory and the internet, for what it's worth. I had heard the guy that got bit, on a talk radio show yesterday. He had no health insurance and wanted to know who was going to pay his medical bills. He said the fisherman were agitating the shark and caused the fish to bite him. Very angry at the people who where laughing on the U tube video. I haven't seen it. He takes no responsibility for putting himself in the Pacific Ocean, or swimming near a pier. I think this story will be around for while, and the truth may finally get out after all the sensational BS is played out. Next headline, "Man sues Fisherman, Manhattan Beach, DFW, State of California, and the Pacific Ocean.
kayachapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:44 PM   #35
ful-rac
Emperor

Hey....!!?? you can sue the pacific ocean???

Well...I've lost a few sinkers in my day...and I think I should be compensated for em'!
Old 07-08-2014, 06:04 PM   #36
Zed
BANNED

Such a clusterfu[k.

Grabbed this off TV but can't find an audio file host so I'll transcribe:
This guy was labeled as a PETA spokesperson. You have to laugh. You'd think they'd find someone less than an ignorant idiot as a spokesperson.

"A 60-day ban is going to keep people safe for the time being, but over the long term, there's only one way to keep sharks out of these shallow waters, and that's by banning fishing altogether. If we start fishing again in September, the sharks are only going to come back."

Ay caramba!
It is so obviously not a public safety issue. I bet more stitches were given statewide to surfer injuries over the 4th holiday than were given all year in CA for shark bites.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #37
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Such a clusterfu[k.

Grabbed this off TV but can't find an audio file host so I'll transcribe:
This guy was labeled as a PETA spokesperson. You have to laugh. You'd think they'd find someone less than an ignorant idiot as a spokesperson.

"A 60-day ban is going to keep people safe for the time being, but over the long term, there's only one way to keep sharks out of these shallow waters, and that's by banning fishing altogether. If we start fishing again in September, the sharks are only going to come back."

Ay caramba!
It is so obviously not a public safety issue. I bet more stitches were given statewide to surfer injuries over the 4th holiday than were given all year in CA for shark bites.
No f'n way they said that?!

A fishing ban is going to keep people safe?

Gotta find tht video
Old 07-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #38
Cbad Mike

These people's stupidity amazes me!!!
They are the same ass$oles who would drive their kid to a sleepover at Michael Jackson's house and then cry and complain when their kid comes home smelling like Jesus juice and walking funny.
IDIOTS!
As for PETA........... I know that they don't like meat but the whole lot of them can BITE ME!!!.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #39
Zed
BANNED

the quoted text was word for word by a PETA spokesperson.
5:00 hour 7kabc

I can email the audio file.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:05 PM   #40
dmrides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
This is not entirely correct; sharks did not exist at all until people started fishing.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote