Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Looking for a good handheld radio

Just as the title says. Before I really get out there, I gotta make sure all my ducks are in a row. So with that being said, what types of radios does everyone bring on their trips. Looking for something waterproof obviously, but reliable overall. Looked at a few at west marine, but figured who better to confer with than those on the water everyday doing what we all love.

Tight lines,
Cadillyak
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I went with an inexpensive radio from west marine, haven't had it long but so far no problems. If I had more to spend I'd probably get a floating radio, but I keep it attached to my PFD so I'm not too worried.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
Dannowar

I have the west marine as well. I never use it
Old 06-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
Sdspeed

Bet ya could Snag this one for a $100 .
Not mine but I've had Icom's in the past with good results.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/3845040141.html
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
rrocco
Junior

Got this one from bass pro a few months ago. Have been very pleased with it. Its waterproof and floats. Would be better if a little smaller, which they have at a little higher price. They have a $20 rebate going on as well.

http://www.basspro.com/Standard-Hori...duct/10210160/
rrocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
Jimmyz123

This is what I have and it works great. Never had a problem with it.
http://www.basspro.com/Cobra-MR-HH12...duct/10223893/

I had 2 of these.
http://www.basspro.com/Uniden-Atlant...product/52738/

The first one I did not attach to a leash and it's now resting below the bait barge in San Diego bay, and the other one the antenna wasn't all the way tight and water got into it. The new radio I have which is the top one works as it should and never had an issue.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
Steve W.
Retired Navy Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillyak View Post
Just as the title says. Before I really get out there, I gotta make sure all my ducks are in a row. So with that being said, what types of radios does everyone bring on their trips. Looking for something waterproof obviously, but reliable overall. Looked at a few at west marine, but figured who better to confer with than those on the water everyday doing what we all love.

Tight lines,
Cadillyak
I have my iPhone and Armor waterproof case for calls if I need it. I don't think I have ever been too far for service. Unless you want to hear chatter on a port ops channel or 16, I don't see the need for a VHF radio.

5 watt radios are good for about 3-5 miles? Which is well within cell service.

Last edited by Steve W.; 06-08-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Steve W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #8
LurkDog
Junior

I just came across a free one today. Is there any use for it other than for an emergency? What channels should I be on?
LurkDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

I also would like to know. I was going to get walkie talkies but figured I could do the same thing if me and whoever I was out with we're in the same channel. Kinda kill 2 birds with one shell type deal. His does everyone communicate while not in "shouting" range?
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #10
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkDog View Post
I just came across a free one today. Is there any use for it other than for an emergency? What channels should I be on?
La jolla boys are usually on 68
Old 06-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #11
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Hand held radio

I have a Standard Horizon HX851 which floats. Never had to use it yet but it receives well!
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #12
dorado50

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkDog View Post

It would behove a few of you new peeps to, at the VERY least, take a safe boating class. The above statement just smells of intimate danger. Your life is at stake every moment you are on the water, To know a little something about something could save a life. Two organizations that I support and OFFER free boating and safety classes is the United States Coast Guard and the United States Power Squadron....both excellent organizations with valuable information.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #13
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
It would behove a few of you new peeps to, at the VERY least, take a safe boating class. The above statement just smells of intimate danger. Your life is at stake every moment you are on the water, To know a little something about something could save a life. Two organizations that I support and OFFER free boating and safety classes is the United States Coast Guard and the United States Power Squadron....both excellent organizations with valuable information.
I agree with this statement 100%. I took a class about 8 years ago, and it was worth it. Having your cell phone is nice, but having a VHF with others near by also on the radio, it much more helpful. Be safe people and carry all the safety gear needed.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote