Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2014, 12:38 PM   #1
chris138
donkey roper

Thinking of Trying for Tuna Sunday

Hey Guys. Reports from the 9 mile bank are looking promising again, and the Wx this weekend seems cooperative.

Anybody want to attempt the kayak tuna this Sunday?
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
Zed
BANNED

Good luck.
Sounds like conditions are better down there.

Went outside DP on wed taking a couple macks for a swim. Lots of life; dolphin, terns, bait balled up under my yak but water was a bit green. Radio wasnt too exciting either except for guys fishin S @ the9 or 302. Baits made it all the way back to SoLag only to be eaten by a thresher and a calico. Badass baits! They died well.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
GregAndrew

Had the same off of San O on Sun. Although we got turned back early by the lightning. We made it out about 6 miles and found lots of Chovies and birds, but nothing to go with em.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:07 PM   #4
chris138
donkey roper

Come down to LJ guys! Tourmaline will be an easy launch and will save us 5 miles or so. I'm definitely gonna take the prowler this time.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
live2fishy
Fish killer

I was down on the 9 Monday for nothin but a huge hammer ran 60 miles total, up and down the bank for nothin pulled 3 yt off birds up in LJ and a cbass off the cuda then a couple short butts in mb to call it a day
live2fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:48 PM   #6
Apex

Nice launch area thanks for the tip go find sum bruisers
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:12 PM   #7
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Tuna!!

I went with my buddy on his boat on Saturday. We tried launching from DP, but they were full by 8:30. We then headed down to oceanside, launched, got a scoop of sardines from the barge ( all 5 of them, the rest macs). Chased a huge pod of dolphins for a few hours but no luck. Tried the butterfly jig and some irons along with live bait to no prevail. While trolling the cedar plug I managed to get this guy!!! Only fish on deck, but we're rookies so we were happy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140726_172842460.jpg (39.6 KB, 276 views)
Old 07-31-2014, 06:12 PM   #8
chris138
donkey roper

Reports from the 9 have gotten a lot better in the last two days, and there's always the off chance of a paddy for yt or dodo. Please someone come with me!
Old 07-31-2014, 06:16 PM   #9
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
Reports from the 9 have gotten a lot better in the last two days, and there's always the off chance of a paddy for yt or dodo. Please someone come with me!
I'd like to but worried I'd slow you down, or I might not make it back!! I have an X Factor. If I go, I'd have to leave at zero dark 30, to get far enough off Shore. How long does it take you to get that far paddling?
Old 07-31-2014, 07:36 PM   #10
chris138
donkey roper

I mean you just get out there and once you find clean warm water put out the trollers and bam you're in the game! Last time they came through there were fish caught 5 miles from MB. I think I was just a day or two too late.

It's not really about how fast you go, but just that you keep moving. I took my xfactor last time and it was great cuz I could carry a ton of food and drink and bait and gadgets.

This is gonna happen this year guys!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:58 PM   #11
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
I think I was just a day or two too late.
F%#$ I hate that phrase!
The SoCal window is so rare and fleeting, reacting to a bite/report is too late. SD is the place to look...today. Good luck again.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:39 PM   #12
chuckt

Isn't Pt. Loma/ SD Bay launch the closest to 9mi bank? I just plot the #on google map and it shows almost straight west from SD bay entrance. Just curious.
chuckt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:40 PM   #13
DanaPT

I'd be interested out of DP or san O

if anyone wants company for an adventure Im in.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:06 AM   #14
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckt View Post
Isn't Pt. Loma/ SD Bay launch the closest to 9mi bank? I just plot the #on google map and it shows almost straight west from SD bay entrance. Just curious.
You're right... It is closer to the 9. The reason I won't launch from there is twofold:

1. Boat traffic. USN subs aircraft carriers cargo ships sport fishing boats mega yachts and the like are all up in the channel and there's a real risk there launching at night.

2. Tides. I won't launch from sd or mission bay cuz the tides get so gnarly in the channels. If the tide is going out as you're coming in from a 20+ mile paddle! that is really gonna suck.

Tourmo is right on the edge of the south LJ reserve. So we can make bait on the edge of the kelp and just be on our way!
Old 08-01-2014, 07:49 AM   #15
Zed
BANNED

What about Dog Beach in OB?
Too much MB traffic?
Too much dog crap?
Old 08-01-2014, 10:24 AM   #16
chris138
donkey roper

OB jetty could be good. There's a channel along the south side of the jetty. But then again there's also a barreling right sand bar which breaks right off that channel so it might be a little sketchy. Tourmo is a slow, sloping longboard wave, similar to sanO. Surfwise it's a lot easier than OB.

Plus I live at the top of tourmaline hill so the beach is 200 yds from my house, so there's that

http://www.tempbreak.com/

There are areas of REALLY clean water that are 72-73 degree F and about 10 miles off MB on the N9. There has been really good fishing on the outside S9 as well as the 182. I think this one has a good shot. No one has got them on the N9 so I believe they are headed that way anyday now.

Like Zed said... if you're reading the report its probably too late.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:48 AM   #17
seaquinn
wishin' I was fishin'

I'm not going to paddle that far, but a great place to launch would be the South Mission Beach jetty. You can paddle right along the jetty right out of Mission Bay. You can actually park on the bayside, and launch on the bay, just adding a few hundred yard to the trip.

Then pick up bait in the Point Loma kelp beds on the way.

ps... we came into Mission Bay from the 9-mile yesterday, on a Power Boat, and the water temp right outside the bay was 74.5 degrees. Amazing.
seaquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:23 PM   #18
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

well, did you make it out there?
Old 08-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #19
chris138
donkey roper

Yup I went. Sunday made it 15 miles out... was on the outside of the bank by 9am. It was totally dead. Didn't see any sign. Sounded like the fish were further outside by the 182.

I will try again!