Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
Whizz Bang

If you feel like hitting lj let me know. I will take you out. Bring the sabiki. I will supply the other rods.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

When I first got my yak I launched at baby beach and tested it's stability in a few feet of water. I sat sideways, sat on the edge, climbed up front to the hatch, leaned over, stood up, reached around to the back, etc.. I found out a little bit about my yak and what I can do while still feeling safe. I just got some experience with my yak. I know what it feels like when it's getting close to the point of no return and I think that experience has helped me out ever since.

Since you may be keeping your yak, I hope you just go out and test it a bit, get comfortable on it.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
YakAttak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizz Bang View Post
If you feel like hitting lj let me know. I will take you out. Bring the sabiki. I will supply the other rods.
La Jolla? Are you kidding me? I just got flipped in the bay. Twice. And now you are offering to bring me to open water?

I'm just kidding bro Seriously, I've never been to La Jolla and don't know how is the swell there, but I assume it's not open water, not bay?.

Thank you for the offer, I will remember the offer and hold it to you when I'm ready to go out again as I gain more experience with the kayak on the water. Only problem with gear is that I'm the minority of people out there who can only fish with left-hand reel
YakAttak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
Amish Ed

First off, so sorry for your losses, but your safe at least. When replacing your bait casters, get some Cardiffs. $110, and they work great.

As far as flipping goes, get in the habit of doing 2 things...
1) When you're not paddling throw your legs over the sides of the yak. You'd be surprised to find out how much that increases your stability.
2) When you need to get something behind you, sit side-saddle. Brace each side with your hands and then turn your whole body sideways so that both legs hang over the same side. Then reach back. When you do this, make sure you keep your butt and upper torso over the center of the yak.

As has already been said, practice with out any gear on board, except for a bait tank filled with water.

I need to look for it, but I think I have a 6v battery you can have for the bait tank.

Keep at it, practice, and you'll be fine in the Scrambler.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:47 PM   #5
YakAttak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
First off, so sorry for your losses, but your safe at least. When replacing your bait casters, get some Cardiffs. $110, and they work great.

As far as flipping goes, get in the habit of doing 2 things...
1) When you're not paddling throw your legs over the sides of the yak. You'd be surprised to find out how much that increases your stability.
2) When you need to get something behind you, sit side-saddle. Brace each side with your hands and then turn your whole body sideways so that both legs hang over the same side. Then reach back. When you do this, make sure you keep your butt and upper torso over the center of the yak.

As has already been said, practice with out any gear on board, except for a bait tank filled with water.

I need to look for it, but I think I have a 6v battery you can have for the bait tank.

Keep at it, practice, and you'll be fine in the Scrambler.
Thanks for the great advices Amish Ed, especially on number 2, I've did a lot of reading and never read about it. Great tip. I'm just curious, for guys with the bait tank in the back, do you guys do this step when getting live bait from the tank? thanks
Old 06-27-2013, 06:27 AM   #6
gary sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakAttak View Post
Thanks for the great advices Amish Ed, especially on number 2, I've did a lot of reading and never read about it. Great tip. I'm just curious, for guys with the bait tank in the back, do you guys do this step when getting live bait from the tank? thanks
I usually use one hand and reach behind me for a bait but when I'm down to one that doesn't want to be grabbed, then I go side saddle and use both hands to corral him.
gary sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #7
Hunters Pa

Sorry for your loss. It's not a matter of "if" you flip it is "when" My first was on an Islader trip, I had put my bait tank on with the drain astern so I had to reach waaaay back to pull the plug. Rolled & most stuff was leashed but sent a Graphite USA I had built with a Penn GTI to the bottom in 105 feet. The divemaster recovered it though, due to reflection off the silver thread I had used. I leash EVERYTHING I want to keep. In addition to teh phone-cord ones I have made I use nylon lanyards - the kind you wear around your neck to hold a badge - that have a plastis snap buckle. The small part is zip tied to a gaff, net, etc. That way I can quickly unclip when needed and resecure once used.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
smithers

Minimizing gear

I've only been into it for a year, but after a few trips out I realized I was bringing too much gear.

I've given up on fishing two rigs same time for example.

Instead of four poles I will just bring two.

Fish finder and battery can be considered optional (at least for your next trip getting back in the saddle)

Grab some plastics or frozen squid and consider leaving the bait tank at home too next time.

With no tank and two rods tied down, flipping is not such a big deal.

My outback 11 is not terribly stable. First thing I did when it was delivered was throw it in the pool I remember sitting in it thinking how the hell could you fight a fish in this tipsy thing.

I've wiped out launching and landing plenty (I now stow my reels in dry bag and lose 20 minutes getting rigged but it saves hours of cleaning sand out of my gear)

I've never flipped otherwise, but I've come close many times, just looking over my shoulder to grab a rod or get in the bait tank. Haven't had the chance to gaff a big fish yet I can see that going terribly wrong :P

Bummer about your gear. Occasions like that you just have to look at the bright side which is that nobody was hurt. I lost my go pro couple months back in a surf launch that went bad. It was just scary enough that I didn't fret about the expensive but replaceable toy.

Get back out quick and replace the memory of that bad day otherwise you will keep dwelling on it!
smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #9
Whizz Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakAttak View Post
La Jolla? Are you kidding me? I just got flipped in the bay. Twice. And now you are offering to bring me to open water?

I'm just kidding bro Seriously, I've never been to La Jolla and don't know how is the swell there, but I assume it's not open water, not bay?.

Thank you for the offer, I will remember the offer and hold it to you when I'm ready to go out again as I gain more experience with the kayak on the water. Only problem with gear is that I'm the minority of people out there who can only fish with left-hand reel
No I am not kidding you. I had my inaugural launch at LJ. Your only risk is the loss of your sabiki. Get back on the plastic horse, and soon. My normal person reels will only be a concern if you get hooked up to a yellow....this is a problem you should be willing to kill for.

For the record... the swell by and large in open water is relatively predictable. On the other hand you have relatively small waves in the bay, but highly unpredictable larger waves from traffic. On big swell periods you are safer in the bay. During a small swell light wind day...my money is on the open water.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:48 PM   #10
YakAttak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizz Bang View Post
No I am not kidding you. I had my inaugural launch at LJ. Your only risk is the loss of your sabiki. Get back on the plastic horse, and soon. My normal person reels will only be a concern if you get hooked up to a yellow....this is a problem you should be willing to kill for.

For the record... the swell by and large in open water is relatively predictable. On the other hand you have relatively small waves in the bay, but highly unpredictable larger waves from traffic. On big swell periods you are safer in the bay. During a small swell light wind day...my money is on the open water.
Thanks a mil. You got PMed.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:24 AM   #11
bigbarrels

Sounds like you may be a renter?

If so, check with your renters insurance. A few years back I sank an X FActor and lost a ton of stuff......my renters insurance covered 100% of it and I didn't have to provide receipts for anything that cost under 500.00......if you have renters insurance you may be in business......sorry this happened to you
Old 06-25-2013, 04:08 AM   #12
PescadorPete

Good advice #2 from Ed. When I have to reach behind me, I swing my legs sidesaddle and make sure I have my butt planted firmly back in the seat. Very stable. When I have to reach really far behind, to untangle the spectra that got wrapped up in the rudder, I sit facing backwards in the seat. Again, very stable.

Sorry about your gear loss. I think many on the board (me included) would fess up to making a donation to the ocean at one time or another.

Jorluivil, I noticed your ring setup on the trip last weekend. Very nice. Great minds think alike.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
YakAttak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PescadorPete View Post
Good advice #2 from Ed. When I have to reach behind me, I swing my legs sidesaddle and make sure I have my butt planted firmly back in the seat. Very stable. When I have to reach really far behind, to untangle the spectra that got wrapped up in the rudder, I sit facing backwards in the seat. Again, very stable.

Sorry about your gear loss. I think many on the board (me included) would fess up to making a donation to the ocean at one time or another.

Jorluivil, I noticed your ring setup on the trip last weekend. Very nice. Great minds think alike.
Thats a nice way to set up the leash, simple and convenient. I've never thought of that. Thanks the "great minds" for enlightening me LOL
How about when you reach back to catch a bait in the bait tank? Does it neccessary to do this steps? I'm kinda nervous getting flipped again knowing its so easy to get flipped LOL so any advice helps. Thanks
Old 06-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #14
YakAttak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarrels View Post
Sounds like you may be a renter?

If so, check with your renters insurance. A few years back I sank an X FActor and lost a ton of stuff......my renters insurance covered 100% of it and I didn't have to provide receipts for anything that cost under 500.00......if you have renters insurance you may be in business......sorry this happened to you
Thank you. I'm now just renting a room in a relative's house But it's good info to know.